Lag Issues

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
rodeje25

Re: Lag Issues

Post by rodeje25 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:19 am

ICKMAN7 wrote:
Silverfish wrote:In that case it sounds like your computer is not going to be able to run the game well enough. Maybe once the game has been more optimized it'll run better.
Ok. Thanks for replying this much, I haven't had this much help with a problem in a while.

Edit: I tried the game on my more powerful desktop, and it is running smoothly on low/1280x720 res.
Thanks for the help!

Also apple uses intel graphics cards which are quite shitty. From what i know (and what i'm waiting for) is that newer models of atleast the imac will get amd polaris 10 gpus which will be powerfull enough for VR. If a mac can't run overgrowth with that i'll be suprised.

Autious
Project Programmer

Post by Autious » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:26 am

rodeje25 wrote:
ICKMAN7 wrote:
Silverfish wrote:In that case it sounds like your computer is not going to be able to run the game well enough. Maybe once the game has been more optimized it'll run better.
Ok. Thanks for replying this much, I haven't had this much help with a problem in a while.

Edit: I tried the game on my more powerful desktop, and it is running smoothly on low/1280x720 res.
Thanks for the help!

Also apple uses intel graphics cards which are quite shitty. From what i know (and what i'm waiting for) is that newer models of atleast the imac will get amd polaris 10 gpus which will be powerfull enough for VR. If a mac can't run overgrowth with that i'll be suprised.
Let's just hope Apple can also deliver decent drivers ;)

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:08 am

Autious wrote:
rodeje25 wrote:
ICKMAN7 wrote: Ok. Thanks for replying this much, I haven't had this much help with a problem in a while.

Thanks for the help!

Let's just hope Apple can also deliver decent drivers ;)
*cough* metal *cough*

Autious
Project Programmer

Post by Autious » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:05 pm

Well, metal is just really a new interface to the drivers and hardware, doesn't necessary mean anything, but it does make me worry that their OpenGL implementation might be less of a focus, expecting developers to instead port and focus on metal. We'll see.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:00 pm

Autious wrote:Well, metal is just really a new interface to the drivers and hardware, doesn't necessary mean anything, but it does make me worry that their OpenGL implementation might be less of a focus, expecting developers to instead port and focus on metal. We'll see.
they should since it gives a lot more performance. the guys from PvZ were able to render 3 million? triangles on a screen. i think they showcased it on a MBP. on the other hand it might be an idea to port overgrowth when it's almost finished to directX 12 and Metal. and linux.... idk about linux really.

Autious
Project Programmer

Post by Autious » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:16 pm

rodeje25 wrote:
Autious wrote:Well, metal is just really a new interface to the drivers and hardware, doesn't necessary mean anything, but it does make me worry that their OpenGL implementation might be less of a focus, expecting developers to instead port and focus on metal. We'll see.
they should since it gives a lot more performance. the guys from PvZ were able to render 3 million? triangles on a screen. i think they showcased it on a MBP. on the other hand it might be an idea to port overgrowth when it's almost finished to DirectX 12 and Metal. and linux.... idk about linux really.
Well, the main reason you get that boost is because you get away from the old generalizations that OpenGL requires. TO port would also mean a rework of the engine to optimize and get anything extra out of it.

I don't however believe that Overgrowth will be ported to anything else than OpenGL 3.2, which is used on all platforms. It's too much work with too little gain. The speed boost isn't a quick and simple "change all the calls to metal and it's faster" it's a bit more complicated than that. What things like Metal, Vulcan and DirectX is a better interface to modern hardware for future rendering engines and will have a positive impact on how they can be designed.

The future rendering API that might be big is Vulcan btw, it's very similar to Metal, but is open and run by Khronos (same as OpenGL). Apple are being kinda silly by not trying to follow that same standard rather than sticking to their own API. Vulcan is currently available on Windows, Linux, android, and potentially many other upcoming devices.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:31 pm

Autious wrote:
Well, the main reason you get that boost is because you get away from the old generalizations that OpenGL requires. TO port would also mean a rework of the engine to optimize and get anything extra out of it.

I don't however believe that Overgrowth will be ported to anything else than OpenGL 3.2, which is used on all platforms. It's too much work with too little gain. The speed boost isn't a quick and simple "change all the calls to metal and it's faster" it's a bit more complicated than that. What things like Metal, Vulcan and DirectX is a better interface to modern hardware for future rendering engines and will have a positive impact on how they can be designed.

The future rendering API that might be big is Vulcan btw, it's very similar to Metal, but is open and run by Khronos (same as OpenGL). Apple are being kinda silly by not trying to follow that same standard rather than sticking to their own API. Vulcan is currently available on Windows, Linux, android, and potentially many other upcoming devices.
i know it isn't easy to port that's why i said it might be an idea. but i see that for overgrowth new rendering api's aren't a good idea since big engine overhauls wouldn't be a good idea as of now. it could be interesting for the future (the next overgrowth? maybe called dawn of the planet of the rabbits?) to do an engine overhaul and optimize it for hardware and software so the engine is up-to-date and you guys can take advantage of newer technologies or you create your own *cough* like off grid level design *cough*.

Autious
Project Programmer

Post by Autious » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:32 pm

rodeje25 wrote:
Autious wrote:

i know it isn't easy to port that's why i said it might be an idea. but i see that for overgrowth new rendering api's aren't a good idea since big engine overhauls wouldn't be a good idea as of now. it could be interesting for the future (the next overgrowth? maybe called dawn of the planet of the rabbits?) to do an engine overhaul and optimize it for hardware and software so the engine is up-to-date and you guys can take advantage of newer technologies or you create your own *cough* like off grid level design *cough*.
You never know. Doesn't hurt to dream~