Javascript

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Javascript

Post by Nuky » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:38 pm

I heard some rumors of the engine script being javascript, hum? :wink:
Any reasons for using javascript, as opposed to other, perhaps more mature scripts? :)
Or even node networks?
Image stolen from http://www.blendernation.com/2008/01/27 ... ode-setup/. Thank you.

Well, Javascript is pretty new at the general purpose scripting stuff (I think), and I can't find ANYTHING on the subject that is not HORRIBLY biased towards web scripting and browser compatability. (That, and I hate brackets. Long live python! :D)

I'm really just asking because I'm very new to the whole scripting deal. I'd be more than happy to learn javascript to do fancy stuff.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Re: Javascript

Post by Jeff » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:31 pm

Yup! We are using Javascript! Javascript 1.5 to be exact. Javascript is an awesome programming language and the reasons why we are using it rather than Python or LUA will become clear very soon. :)

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:24 pm

As someone who knows about as much coding as a person that doesn't know anything about code, can you explain to me how using one script rather than another would be beneficial?

Ltp0wer

Post by Ltp0wer » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:38 am

Ozymandias wrote:As someone who knows about as much coding as a person that doesn't know anything about code, can you explain to me how using one script rather than another would be beneficial?
They aren't choosing from different "scripts", they are choosing from different scripting languages.

Different script parsing engines operate faster than others. Also, people have preferences on syntax.

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:34 am

Jeff wrote:Yup! We are using Javascript! Javascript 1.5 to be exact. Javascript is an awesome programming language and the reasons why we are using it rather than Python or LUA will become clear very soon. :)
Assum! 8)
Just what I wanted to hear. :)

I betcha one of the reasons is because you know javascript best. =P

Oh, oh, oh, I got it, I got it! Overgrowth is a browser game! :o

mphasis

If your interested...

Post by mphasis » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:22 am

If your not much of a programmer and interested in Javascript, there are some great, simple tutorials here:
http://www.w3schools.com/js/js_intro.asp

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:48 am

Thank you. I'll keep that in mind when I really start working with it. :)