Inventory System In OG

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!

RPG style inventory or in-the-engine swapping of weps?

RPG Inventory ftw
13%
Equip Weapons like in real life!
87%

Total votes: 150

Jeff
Evil Twin

Re: Inventory System In OG

Post by Jeff » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:04 pm

How about having a bad ass inventory system between levels when available (simulating carrying a travel pack) so you can acquire a variety of weapons, but in the actual gameplay you have a Lugaru style inventory?

Hal1989

Post by Hal1989 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:11 pm

Hell yeah! X3

zamzx zik

Post by zamzx zik » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:15 pm

I assume you'll still be able to pick up any weapon in the map?

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:05 am

Jeff wrote:How about having a bad ass inventory system between levels when available (simulating carrying a travel pack) so you can acquire a variety of weapons, but in the actual gameplay you have a Lugaru style inventory?
That would actually make sense... and then be able to choose what weapons (if any) you want to bring into the level, which then show up as you start it?
That does indeed sound quite nice indeed.
indeed.
I should stop saying that.

Anyway, would be fun. To start off with nothing in there, then after a level you've played, the weapons you had in your pockets would appear in the inventory's equip boxes, from which you could drag them into the backpack and back as you choose, thus being able to acquire massive varieties of weapons...

Yesyesyes, I can see it happening! =D

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:31 am

Ltp0wer wrote:
Chainsaw man wrote: Data overload... too mcuh information... please stand by for meltdown
I was actualy meaning the "Bag" is a physicle object, and you remove things from it in real time and NO, it wouldent have the ability to stuf a bunch of swords in it, its mainly used for carrying medicle suplys, a few knives, and generaly what you want to take to battle, MY idea was that you could use the mouse to equpit something or to drop an object "ETC", the old Invintory system would work along side this... ugh, maybe you should watch this to get what I am saying...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0af6H0Y_N8E
The gunner has just shot two bastards, cleard his mag out, and was putting his weapon back in his bag and yea, some other bastard comes along with a sledge hammer, going to show there are too many sledge hammers layng around New Zealand. Your focuse is 0:08 - 0:42

my idea was to allow the player to carry a bag ofsmall but useful items or maybe store his weapons during an encounter, that way he can carry the bag into battle, and when the enemy cant reach him/Is not aware of his precence, he will be able to pull out the apropriate thing needed to face a situation. If the player is in his Inmvintory, he becomes a bit vulnerable because his hands are tied up. The player may also throw the bag up into a tree so he can acsess it later for the right weapon or a medikit. While up in a tree rats will come and salave what they can if they are around to find it. I also think medi kits should take time to use, none of the magicle Tomb raider medikits, heck, with that game on PC, there wasa Hot key for Medi kits, they hould have just made Medikits make your healthbar longer at the rate you find them and use them :roll: .

Anyway, I think we will look into Jeffs idea, since he has not been huffing so many kittens like us.

The idea is good, It would work, but will you be able to come back for stuff you droped earlyer in the game? also, what if you made a mistake in you choice of weapons, and realized you should have taken the sword of Whale slaying with you instead of the kitty whip? Will you be able to retreat and come back to collect the apropriate item and THEN go back?

Ltp0wer

Post by Ltp0wer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:59 pm

Chainsaw man wrote:
I was actualy meaning the "Bag" is a physicle object, and you remove things from it in real time and NO, it wouldent have the ability to stuf a bunch of swords in it, its mainly used for carrying medicle suplys, a few knives, and generaly what you want to take to battle, MY idea was that you could use the mouse to equpit something or to drop an object "ETC", the old Invintory system would work along side this... blah blah blah blah

my idea was to allow the player to carry a bag ofsmall but useful items or maybe store his weapons during an encounter, that way he can carry the bag into battle, and when the enemy cant reach him/Is not aware of his precence, he will be able to pull out the apropriate thing needed to face a situation. If the player is in his Inventory, he becomes a bit vulnerable because his hands are tied up. The player may also throw the bag up into a tree so he can acsess it later for the right weapon or a medikit. While up in a tree rats will come and salave what they can if they are around to find it. I also think medi kits should take time to use, none of the magicle Tomb raider medikits, heck, with that game on PC, there wasa Hot key for Medi kits, they hould have just made Medikits make your healthbar longer at the rate you find them and use them :roll: .
I knew what you were talking about when I said it was a horrible idea. And now that you have elaborated on it, I think it is a worse idea.

Hal1989

Post by Hal1989 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:13 pm

Chainsaw man wrote:I also think medi kits should take time to use, none of the magicle Tomb raider medikits, heck, with that game on PC, there wasa Hot key for Medi kits, they hould have just made Medikits make your healthbar longer at the rate you find them and use them :roll: .
In Alone in the dark, you can see yourself actually using an aidspray on your wounds and in Left 4 Dead, you can heal yourself using a medkit, tough you need to wait a few seconds while you are actually applying your bandages or whatever, meaning you are defenseless for that moment. It was sort of challenging since you couldn't heal yourself anytime :P
Chainsaw man wrote: my idea was to allow the player to carry a bag ofsmall but useful items or maybe store his weapons during an encounter, that way he can carry the bag into battle, and when the enemy cant reach him/Is not aware of his precence, he will be able to pull out the apropriate thing needed to face a situation. If the player is in his Inmvintory, he becomes a bit vulnerable because his hands are tied up. The player may also throw the bag up into a tree so he can acsess it later for the right weapon or a medikit. While up in a tree rats will come and salave what they can if they are around to find it.
Like some sort of stash? Or perhaps a camp?

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:18 pm

Hmm, the way you guys put it, why not just have it so at the start of the map you're carrying the bag with all the big weapons strapped onto it (not inside of it X_X) and then you can drop it wherever if you get into a fight and need mobility. i think I read this somewhere a while ago actually. If enemies find your bag though they can go grab your weapons and stick the pointy ends into your fuzzy hide X_X

Aleol

Post by Aleol » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:55 pm

Ltp0wer wrote:
Chainsaw man wrote:
I was actualy meaning the "Bag" is a physicle object, and you remove things from it in real time and NO, it wouldent have the ability to stuf a bunch of swords in it, its mainly used for carrying medicle suplys, a few knives, and generaly what you want to take to battle, MY idea was that you could use the mouse to equpit something or to drop an object "ETC", the old Invintory system would work along side this... blah blah blah blah

my idea was to allow the player to carry a bag ofsmall but useful items or maybe store his weapons during an encounter, that way he can carry the bag into battle, and when the enemy cant reach him/Is not aware of his precence, he will be able to pull out the apropriate thing needed to face a situation. If the player is in his Inventory, he becomes a bit vulnerable because his hands are tied up. The player may also throw the bag up into a tree so he can acsess it later for the right weapon or a medikit. While up in a tree rats will come and salave what they can if they are around to find it. I also think medi kits should take time to use, none of the magicle Tomb raider medikits, heck, with that game on PC, there wasa Hot key for Medi kits, they hould have just made Medikits make your healthbar longer at the rate you find them and use them :roll: .
I knew what you were talking about when I said it was a horrible idea. And now that you have elaborated on it, I think it is a worse idea.
It's a great idea. it's very realistic, and it would be useful during/after fights. What's so bad about it? It just adds on to your idea.

Ltp0wer

Post by Ltp0wer » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:20 pm

Aleol wrote:
Ltp0wer wrote:
Chainsaw man wrote:

It's a great idea. it's very realistic, and it would be useful during/after fights. What's so bad about it?
It slows down the pace of combat and is not realistic at all.

Why it isn't realistic:
-If the bag is small, it wouldn't make sense if it could carry swords and staves and knives
-If the bag is big, you'd have to explain why he carries a gigantic bag with him everywhere. It'd look tacky.
-It isn't that realistic to run to your bag in a fight. It would never happen
-Since when do rats scavenge in trees?

If you think it adds onto my idea, then you need to reread my idea.

Hal1989

Post by Hal1989 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:48 pm

Ltp0wer wrote: -If the bag is small, it wouldn't make sense if it could carry swords and staves and knives
-If the bag is big, you'd have to explain why he carries a gigantic bag with him everywhere. It'd look tacky.
Doesn't necessarily mean the bag can contain swords and staves, but can be tied alongside the bag or something like that, but still, it's not like he can carry an huge arsenal.
Ltp0wer wrote: -It isn't that realistic to run to your bag in a fight. It would never happen.
We actually call that "retreating".
Ltp0wer wrote:-Since when do rats scavenge in trees?
Ever used Google?

http://books.google.ca/books?id=CavgCwe ... &ct=result

Fafnir312

Post by Fafnir312 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:59 am

This is my first post. Greetings to all.

I definitely think the inventory system should be as simple, straightforward and as accessible as possible. Take Lugaru's inventory system and add a few more weapons and/or areas to strap/holster weapons. I like the idea of being able to strap multiple weapons on to my character. It looks cool and also could add more to the fight if the enemy can rip the weapons off your back mid fight and begin using them against you and, of course, you can do the same to them. Also, will we be able to dual-wield? I love the thought of advancing into battle wielding two scimitars, or battle axes, or whatnot 8)

The inbetween levels inventory system could work, but I don't know that there'd be a need unless we're going to be able to collect and use a lot of distinctly different types of weapons. In a game, a scimitar isn't much different from a long sword except for the name and look unless different fighting styles are allowed. I do, however, want to be able to take my weapons from one level to the next(an inability that irked me in Lugaru).

I say, keep the weapons sparse, but instantaneously accessible. No inventory window please.

My two cents.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:23 am

Held or holstered inventory gets my vote for weapons. For other, smaller, miscellanious items I'm happy to leave that to a more abstract "what you need" system.

In practical terms, carrying more than about 2 or 3 weapons is extremely difficult, unwieldy and plain unlikely for everyone except perhaps the most hardcore of heavily armoured warriors.

Even a fully armoured knight wouldn't carry more than a dagger, some sort of hand weapon (sword or perhaps a mace) a shield and a polearm - and knights had transportation and squires to help them.

With that said, I'm all for choice in what we keep between scenes. I'm more than happy to assume some downtime and additional carry options during pure travel.

Perhaps it would be worth having obvious classes for the weapons and distinct placement/slots inventory rules for each? Off the top of my head I'd say small throwable weapons which can be stashed (perhaps upto 3 in various pockets?) a side-arm (one-handed/hand and-a-half weapon which can be worn at the hip) and great-arms/polearms which cannot be slung mid-battle and must be carried in the hands or discarded. Shields with straps could be slung, but that should impede mobility (if you're planning on putting shields in at all - the general theme seems very eastern and shields didn't see quite as much use AFAIK).

Ltp0wer

Post by Ltp0wer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:32 am

Hal1989 wrote:
Ltp0wer wrote: -If the bag is small, it wouldn't make sense if it could carry swords and staves and knives
Doesn't necessarily mean the bag can contain swords and staves, but can be tied alongside the bag or something like that, but still, it's not like he can carry an huge arsenal.
So the bag will be restricted to carrying what? Knives and rocks? Yes, that is totally worthwhile. Oh yes, and lets tie the sword/staff to the bag instead of holstering it on your guy for fast retrieval. Not to mention that it would look ridiculous carrying around a bag with several different weapons tied to it. Unless you want to limit the ammount of weapons that can be tied to a bag without looking dumb (more than 1 weapon would look dumb), which completely eliminates the need for a bag all together.
Hal1989 wrote:
Ltp0wer wrote: -It isn't that realistic to run to your bag in a fight. It would never happen.
We actually call that "retreating".
Yes, because in the middle of the fight. Someone would "retreat" to their bag to grab what you have limited to small items such as knives instead of just dealing with the guy or rather than equiping the weapon of choice before going into battle beforehand. It could happen, I suppose, but often enough to necessitate the effort of adding a shitty little bag to the game? Not on your life, pal.
Hal1989 wrote:
Ltp0wer wrote:-Since when do rats scavenge in trees?
Ever used Google?

http://books.google.ca/books?id=CavgCwe ... &ct=result
My mistake. I forgot the developers were adding all the specific species of every animal to the game. Hmm, I know this is a bit of an odd thought, but wouldn't it just be easier to have cats scavenging through trees (since cats are notoriously known for climbing trees) rather than adding a special species of rat that has a similar ability. Just seems like it would save time. Just my thought.

My sarcastic, condescending tone was a response to your sarcastic, condescending tone.
Next.

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:56 am

Meh. I was watching Advent Children (shock!) and I saw Cloud pull out a bunch of swords from his bike holster thingies, and then grab the last sword and put it in a holster on his belt. Which, incidentally, probably wouldn't have restricted his movement too much, but it was a bit too low and a bit too horizontal to be practical.

I'd like to be able to do something like that in Overgrowth, minus the bike bit. I remember back in early dev, David wanted to have a realtime 3D minigame-type thing where you have to rummage around in your bag to grab items. I think it could work, if implemented the way David originally visualised it. It would mean you'd need to plan ahead, and you could only have a few items rready to go at any given moment. I don't want to be some kind of uber-warrior with twenty-million weapons hanging off my back and belt, but I would like some kind of inventory system like this. Incidentally, if you have large weapons, you'd really only be able to carry them in your hands or strapped to your back. Having had a polearm attached to my back, I can say with every confidence it wouldn't restrict Turner's movement too much - the weight is the biggest restriction factor, rather than the size.

If I'm remembering correctly, you would also be restricted in yuor movement by the amount of stuff in your bag, et cetera, so you would probably need to drop the bag at the beginning of combat and retrieve it later. Anyway, yeah, I support bringing a new level of depth to inventory management, if only because it sounded awesome wen David first said it, and I think it sounds awesome now.

Although, I'm confused about a few thigs; is this Lugaru 2? Or is this the Lugaru 1.5 which David was saying he'd probably make to satisfy the fans while he works on L2? If it's the latter, then probably just ignore everything I said above, and just have a few combat holsters.