Alpha 7 Links

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jeff
Evil Twin

Alpha 7 Links

Post by Jeff » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:47 pm

The Alpha 7 leaked build is here! A "leaked build" is when John and I literally grab the latest SVN build and package it up for you guys. It is not necessarily condoned by David, Phillip, and Aubrey, but we want to keep you guys in the loop and give you stuff to play with regularly!

There are some rumors about a blessed build coming in the next few weeks.

New in this version: http://blog.wolfire.com/2008/12/overgro ... x-hotness/

P.S. be sure to delete your shadow caches! Just delete the whole Program Files/Wolfire Games/Overgrowth directory and you should be fine.
ahruman wrote:For Mac OS X, the cache lives at ~/Library/Application Support/Lugaru 2/Data/.
Also, press P to toggle wireframe stuff.

Uploading now.
Windows: http://cdn.wolfire.com/alpha/a7-win.msi
Mac OS X: http://cdn.wolfire.com/alpha/a7-mac.zip

Subscribe to the dev blog!

A Linux build is currently being worked on by Ryan Gordon -- it will be coming soon (?). Sorry for the delay. :<

RabidRabbit

Re: Alpha 7 Links

Post by RabidRabbit » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:44 am

Hey!
Just pre ordered overgrowth.

Looks so awesome.
downloading now. Can't wait until the final releease.

Tally

Post by Tally » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:38 am

OS X UI! Yeah! Now if it doesn't lag so bad I can test a few things out.

EDIT: Framebuffer error on line 1337 (no joke) of terrain.cpp
Last edited by Tally on Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ss2man44

Post by ss2man44 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:39 am

Heh, I probably won't download this if it's mostly Mac interface updates. Nice job on the Mac stuff, though! 8)

Ryan'd better hurry up with that Linux build. I'm in an open-source mood.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:54 am

Tally wrote:OS X UI! Yeah! Now if it doesn't lag so bad I can test a few things out.

EDIT: Framebuffer error on line 1337 (no joke) of terrain.cpp
Tally, keep hitting OK and it should get through. :)

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:36 am

NICE! Downloading right now. And thank you for giving the PPC one last real game, my PowerMac G5 still has some power in her lol.

Anyway its doing fine on my Macbook Pro, I wonder what caused A6 to mess up.

Darwinian

Post by Darwinian » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:53 am

works on PPC?!?! best news evuur
sorry linux

Tims

Post by Tims » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:56 am

PPC binairies aren't included.
In the application infos : type : Application (Intel)
And the icon is still greyed.
Image 41.jpg
(sorry for the french language)

nevyn

Post by nevyn » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:09 am

Since you now have UI on the Mac, this is the first time I've had a chance to use the editor.

I love the way the left mouse button does a uniform [action], while right mb does the action relative to the plane you clicked on in the direction of the nearest edge. I don't know if this is your invention or if it's a convention from some 3D editor you've used, but wow, that's clever!

A few nitpicks about the UI. For transitions, pick a duration that seems good, and use a tenth of that. The window fadeout transition is way, way, way too long. Also, tool tips fade in. Never fade in. Fade out looks pretty, but fade in is always just a fscking nuisance. It only serves to make UI slower, adding delay before the user can use the ui element.

The onhover for tooltips on the toolbar is a bit slow and unreliable. I don't know what the icon means, so I on-hover to find out. Either the delay for showing them is very long (as in seconds) or the onhover isn't working properly.

The "Add object" tool doesn't seem to work properly. Tried to use it, it ate two gigs of ram and stuttered for a while before I killed Overgrowth.

The alpha on the server browser goes to purple instead of transparent, but I guess you know that :P

The toolbar contains both tools and actions... I'm thinking of the add and load object tools. I'm not sure that's good UI since you're mixing behaviors under the same metaphor.

Sometimes when you're dragging with a tool (e g translate), the mouse handler will bug and try to move the camera and translate the object at the same time, which makes the camera tremble.

Using the number keys doesn't work; things get really weird when I press them (e g, feels like I have another tool than both the one highlighted in the toolbar and the one I pressed a number key for)

Okay, this was a bit long :P Do you have a proper bug tracker, like redmine, trac, fogbugz, or similar?

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:36 pm

Tims wrote:PPC binairies aren't included.
Yeah, I just downloaded it (at very nice speeds, as high as 810 and 790 at the lowest), and there's no sign of it working with this here G5 :?

vvi77iam

Post by vvi77iam » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:54 pm

i am still... not compatible?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:19 pm

My bad, I accidentally did not actually include the PPC build. Xcode is not very user friendly. Will try again later.

Thanks for the bug reports. This is a leaked build though, so we are not too concerned about bugs at the moment. When we have an official blessed build, we will be tracking bugs. It is useful to keep a personal list of bugs, and then when we get the blessed build out, please check them against that and we will be keeping track of them on google code or something similar.

Noz

Post by Noz » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:12 am

It crashes once it finishes loading.

Hal1989

Post by Hal1989 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:18 am

Noz wrote:It crashes once it finishes loading.
What is your computer's specifications (Cpu, Memory, Graphic card, Operating system, etc.)?

mryuck

Post by mryuck » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:11 pm

is it later yet?
when will the PPC build be up?