Desises, curses, Climate and other nastys

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Chainsaw man

Desises, curses, Climate and other nastys

Post by Chainsaw man » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:21 pm

I had this idea just come to me after reading about Far Cry 2 on Wikipedia.

There could many things that could lead to Turners demise. One thing I had in mind was Dehidraton, and Sickness.

Dehidraton: In the deasert and out at sea, this can cause undesirable effects. Stock up on water beofre traviling across land. Water may also be used in first aid and as a freindly gesture to an NPC, paticularly one in the dessert whos lifes about to fade, or as a taunt to a begger. take the water skin, offer it to them, and then drizzle it into the sand.

The effects of Dehidraton cause hullusonatons, black outs and other nasty effects. Stay ontop of your thirst, or as we say "Stay pump(tm)ed"

Diareea: Explose, fun, and deadly if your out in the wilderness. it can cause the same effects as Dehidraton in some sevear cases. Also gives your pants a permantate decal unless you go behind a bush and press [P] or .

STD: this is why you dont go to bed with a funny bunny. Not only would it not be good if you woke up to find her husband, or Wife (holy shit :shock: !!! lay of the carrot booz in future.) but you may end up getting some kind of Infection. A permanate Debuff.

Frost bite: Never good, fluffyer your wool is though, and the more clothing you wear, the better. If you dont follow, you may end up sawing your hands off.

Ok, Discuss(t)

Ozymandias

Re: Desises, curses, Climate and other nastys

Post by Ozymandias » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:08 am

I think the only halfway decent idea here is the frostbite one. It would make it so in order to climb the mountain to one of the hardest areas in the game you have to go find someone who can sell/trade you 'winter clothes' or something.

Dehydration: I don't know if water/food will be an issue in the game.

Diarrhea: Errrrr =/

STD's: No...

Gahoo

Post by Gahoo » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:23 am

I agree with the above sentiments.
Chainsaw man wrote: Frost bite: Never good, fluffyer your wool is though, and the more clothing you wear, the better. If you dont follow, you may end up sawing your hands off.
If Turner sawed his hands off, how would the game keep going? Kicks only? That would get dull really fast. Those are interesting ideas, but you need to think about how the game would keep moving if you made decisions that resulted in such permanent consequences...
Last edited by Gahoo on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:42 am

I think these ideas are brilliant. I don't know what the other two kahoos are on.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:25 am

Dehydration sounds like a great plan, actually. Just the occasional need to find a well to fill up a water bottle, or something of the sorts. Something small, simple and untrivial, but which could strongly impede you if ignored.

Water...
....water...!

The other two Ideas...
I don't think so.

CrazyWolfie

Post by CrazyWolfie » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:17 pm

Glabbit wrote:Dehydration sounds like a great plan, actually. Just the occasional need to find a well to fill up a water bottle, or something of the sorts. Something small, simple and untrivial, but which could strongly impede you if ignored.

Water...
....water...!

The other two Ideas...
I don't think so.
Sounds exactly like dehydration is de energy i zation... or something along those lines. I'd have to say it sounds okay, but would it cut into actual game time and become a bore?

Nigmos

Post by Nigmos » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:42 pm

Maybe if dehydration just didn't KILL you, only made it more difficult to maneuver, fight and run about in the desert. Hallucinations could be enemies that seem to run and attack you, but disappears when they reach you, or it could be fake water fountains and wells appearing here and there.

mphasis

Dehydration and Amputation!

Post by mphasis » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:01 pm

I like Dehydration and Frostbite, but I don't know how fun it would be amputating your own limbs...

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:55 pm

True, I think when you get to that point you generaly get a paticular ending about not being able to fight any more and the game ends. Requireing you to play again.

Gahoo

Post by Gahoo » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:01 pm

Hmm, I'm not positive about this, but I'm fairly certain Overgrowth will have a linear story, like Lugaru. A lot of those ideas would be better for an RPG...

Groveller

Post by Groveller » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:57 pm

I'm pretty sure Lugaru was meant to have a branching plot. Well, a branching ending, anyway.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:58 am

Meant to have, yes.
What OG's meant to have is as of yet unclear, but when given the choice to assume something, I'd assume there'd be a branching plot.

Gahoo

Post by Gahoo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:43 pm

Groveller wrote:I'm pretty sure Lugaru was meant to have a branching plot. Well, a branching ending, anyway.
:?: Define branching... Do you mean alternative endings? There weren't any that I could see...

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:01 pm

Lugaru has alternate endings that were scrapped from the game but left in the build for some reason.