Turner Starting as a Hero

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
invertin

Re: Turner Starting as a Hero

Post by invertin » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:54 am

TheBigCheese wrote:The only problems that might arrive would be tuning down the difficulty to fit a tutorial. If a key point were to have multiple enemies, it might be hard to make it into a tutorial, considering that the only ones who would be playing the tutorial would be those who are completely new.
Maybe some scenes aren't playable? Players don't need to beat the Alpha Wolf, all they really need to know is that Turner beat him.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:48 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:Evil twin brother? lolcorny.
Jeff is corny? :P

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:13 am

I'm sure that with rabbits, rats, dogs, cats, and wolves they won't limit the Hero character to just Turner. There'll be awesome opportunities to use different points of view.

You can already play Lugaru as a wolf, with one different animated punch, different speed and strength. Once every animal has a slightly different combat style and body language, and with the great artwork, their won't be many limits to stories.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:47 am

Ozymandias wrote:
*Nods* Very corny. He even tastes like corn. And there's lots of corn bits in his...cereal.

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:35 pm

Ergo, jeff is food

Zaphon

Post by Zaphon » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:29 pm

He is pretty tasty!

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:01 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:
*Nods* Very corny. He even tastes like corn. And there's lots of corn bits in his...cereal.
We'll need lots of butter and salt for someone this corny.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:41 pm

Take Assassin's Creed, you're known right off the bat as the best assassin in the guild, but that doesn't mean they throw the final boss right at you in the beginning
Though, in Assasin's Creed, you have been demoted and must earn your way back up to the top.

Starting as a Hero isn't a game breaking point by any means, but it's something to consider when trying to make the game new-user-friendly.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:59 pm

...what the hell does that have to do with being buttery and salty? Stop posting off-topic.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:38 am

TheBigCheese wrote:
Take Assassin's Creed, you're known right off the bat as the best assassin in the guild, but that doesn't mean they throw the final boss right at you in the beginning
Though, in Assasin's Creed, you have been demoted and must earn your way back up to the top.
Pretty much the same situation Turner is in, no money, no weapons, no status. Plenty of room for improvement.

In my opinion, tt actually makes sense to have some kind of exceptional background so that later stuff you accomplish in the game makes sense for your character to actually be able to do. Like GTA: San Andreas, you're just an Average Joe gang member straight out of prison and then for no reason other than you got a brain transplant and a full personality change, in the course of about 3 weeks you're a multimillionaire and control the largest crime empire in the city.

VerdantPlanes

Post by VerdantPlanes » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:19 am

Well, any good story is really about the characters being changed by what they experience, right? I think just in terms of story there has to be some growth to make it interesting.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:00 pm

... and change can take so many directions, even when you start with a really competent badass protagonist.

Like the hero can be totally burned out and cynical, drunk, addicted, emotionally numb, whatever, and rediscover their humanity and the urge to do something useful-- that's a pretty handy story arc for detective/noir stories. --like William Gibson's Neuromancer, Casablanca, etc, etc.

Or their brains can be scrambled and they start to regain the ability to think and remember, like the Bourne movies, the first Rambo, One flew over the cuckoo's nest-- the book, not the movie: the whole story's written as the thoughts of the "Chief", the big Indian guy who's been committed to the mental ward. He's not dumb or crazy like everyone thinks, but at the start he believes he is.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:50 am

TheBigCheese wrote:Or maybe I'm just rambling. Or maybe I wanted to make a spiffy graph. Still, I'd like to know how Turner is going to be viewed in game. Whether as a hero or starting lower.
When intelligence goes up, happiness goes down: See, I made a graph. I make a lot of graphs :D

I agree with your idea but I don't think your graph conveys it properly - it suggests that in both cases the player's interest plateaus at a given level, when in fact the reason most games feature a slow aquisition of power and abilities is to keep the player from losing interest: giving them everything at once would make for a hard-to-stomach beginning and a boring middle to end, in other words you'd have a sort of exponential decay of interest.

Think regulation of hormones - it has to be done it small bite sized pieces, otherwise you grow breasts with beards and nobody wants that!

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:07 am

I dunno about that, some people have weird fetishes.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:54 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:I dunno about that, some people have weird fetishes.
Stop projecting - besides, all women have beards in Ireland, that's why you all come abroad and steal everyone else's...

It's that damn Irish accent that does it :x