Welcome Natural Selection 2 Members!

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
ratclaw

Re: Welcome Natural Selection 2 Members!

Post by ratclaw » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:33 pm

Path wrote:
Wilbefast wrote:I wonder if that's actual what gave them the idea for the name :)
RisingStar wrote:
I am not 100% sure, and my quick few minutes of searching cannot find a source, but I do believe that is what the name is based on.
Actually I'm pretty sure thats how the got the name as well but i am not entirely sure.
I hear rumors that there was an early edition of the manual that explained the names for every alien. Yet I've got nothing on this rumor.

Overgrowth is looking good from the trailers and screen shots I've seen so far. I'm downloading the latest alpha right now.

RisingStar

Post by RisingStar » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:52 pm

I know this might be pushing this post slightly off topic, but I found what is as far as I can tell the first reference to the "Onos" and its name:

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/forums/ ... st&p=70429

It is on the second page of a thread where UW announced the names of the Alien creatures. Anyways, there goes 20 minutes of my time at work that should have been spent... well working :D

a civilian

Post by a civilian » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:20 pm

ratclaw wrote:I hear rumors that there was an early edition of the manual that explained the names for every alien. Yet I've got nothing on this rumor.
Here's the 1.04 manual. Has a lot of backstory but not that item specifically.

Edit: oops, it does indeed have that item.
Last edited by a civilian on Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Path

Post by Path » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:03 am

a civilian wrote:
ratclaw wrote:I hear rumors that there was an early edition of the manual that explained the names for every alien. Yet I've got nothing on this rumor.
Here's the 1.04 manual. Has a lot of backstory but not that item specifically.
Well there you have it "Onos" came from "Oh no"

nice find

SamUK

Post by SamUK » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:35 am

Well, I'm not a NS2 immigrant, I just won the pack off moddb, so I've joined the forums :)

I do read up here once in a while, I especially follow the awesome blog. Ah well... erm... Yo.

Arkage

Post by Arkage » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:30 am

Same as Sam, I have been following on the blog and I won the pack over at mod db, so now seems like a great time to join.
Hopefully I can get some time and see if I can make a fan map and contribute.

Thanks for the low down about things here btw.

Seker

Post by Seker » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:04 pm

Thanks, I will load the alpha soon :D

Stakhanov

Post by Stakhanov » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:25 pm

I remember playing the Lugaru demo a long time ago , liked that game ! Didn't buy it because of the nonexistent architecture though. Nice to see it will get proper maps on a shiny new engine , will full customization to boot. I liked Zeno Clash , but its borderline rail shooter feel was disappointing.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:37 am

Stakhanov wrote:I remember playing the Lugaru demo a long time ago , liked that game ! Didn't buy it because of the nonexistent architecture though. Nice to see it will get proper maps on a shiny new engine , will full customization to boot. I liked Zeno Clash , but its borderline rail shooter feel was disappointing.
Yeah - far too claustrophobic for my liking. That's why I like Lugaru: much more freedom to move around. I'm hoping Overgrowth will be sort of like Hitman 2 - you'll be able to approach the objective from any direction and in any way you like (front or back, psychotic or stealthy).

INKEDOUT

Post by INKEDOUT » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:56 am

Hey! Thanks for such a nice welcome!

I can’t say I knew much about Overgrowth before this weekend, but what I now know, I like. :D

I hope someone has done an equally nice welcome/info/background page on the forums over at Unknown Worlds. Although at a glance I can’t see anything. Seems like the harsh Marine lifestyle might of got to us in the NS2 community. (Oh and of course the Kharaa can't type)

I haven’t got time now, but if nothing appears soon, I’ll do something for you Overgrowth guys ASAP and link it on here.

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:21 pm

You're a righteous dude :)

EdgarVerona

Post by EdgarVerona » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:34 pm

Admittedly, I don't think I'd have heard of Overgrowth if not for Natural Selection 2, but I'm very glad that I have! What an amazing looking engine and toolset you've put together thus far! Fantastic job!

(wanders over to download the build =) )

INKEDOUT

Post by INKEDOUT » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:29 pm

Here you go: I hope to see some new faces now :mrgreen:

sardiax

Post by sardiax » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:15 pm

New here, also due to the pack.
Thanks for gathering all this great information together.
I grabbed the pack motivated mostly by fond memories of Natural Selection 1, not knowing too much about Overgrowth.
I'd forgotten all about Lugaru, as it's been years since I saw it last, didn't even realize it was directly involved with Overgrowth.
Confident the money is going to some independent developers making some good stuff.
I'll see if i can't grab the latest alpha and let that download just to test for now, and read up a bit more.

1mannARMEE

Post by 1mannARMEE » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:25 pm

Thanks for the nice introduction,

I also welcome all of the Wolfire people and the Unknown Worlds people here.
You are ofcourse also welcome to join the Natural Selection Forums as well,

see you there :)