Sparring feedback

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
EPR89

Re: Sparring feedback

Post by EPR89 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:11 pm

Timbles wrote:
kibaoo wrote:if your character is in ragdoll and is flying through the air u should press "shift".
Not too close to the ground, though.
If you time it right you can roll out of nearly any fall. If you are close to the ground you need to hit the moment where you make contact and your character will roll. The problem is, when you go head first you have at best a few milliseconds. But it still is possible.

Stuntddude

Post by Stuntddude » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Endoperez wrote:Punishing a failed jump with instant death is too severe in my opinion.
Sounds like you really hate platformers.

akazi

Post by akazi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:25 pm

Stuntddude wrote:
Endoperez wrote:Punishing a failed jump with instant death is too severe in my opinion.
Sounds like you really hate platformers.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:38 pm

Stuntddude wrote:Sounds like you really hate platformers.
You know how Mario can spin in the air in the games? Imagine if landing while he was doing that was an instant death (even if you had eaten mushrooms and wore a fursuit).

Yeah, I would hate that.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Endoperez wrote:
You know how Mario can spin in the air in the games? Imagine if landing while he was doing that was an instant death (even if you had eaten mushrooms and wore a fursuit).

Yeah, I would hate that.
But this is not Super Mario. It's a game where a wrong move can kill you. And jumping in the air and trying to land on your neck is a 10 out of ten on my wrong metre.

Stuntddude

Post by Stuntddude » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:05 am

Endoperez wrote:

Yeah, I would hate that.
Imagine if Mario also had to participate in fast-paced, brutal hand-to-hand combat with other short Italian plumbers as an integral part of the game.

Yeah, I'd hate that too. It'd really break the spirit of the game, and also your apples-to-living-brown-fungus comparison.

(P.S. Imagine if you spent a large portion of your time in those games dodging deadly enemies, avoiding spikes, and trying to stay on platforms at extreme heights, all of which could insta-kill you from one wrong move. That would be a real shame, wouldn't it?)

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:15 am

Stuntddude wrote:Imagine if Mario also had to participate in fast-paced, brutal hand-to-hand combat with other short Italian plumbers as an integral part of the game.
(P.S. Imagine if you spent a large portion of your time in those games dodging deadly enemies, avoiding spikes, and trying to stay on platforms at extreme heights, all of which could insta-kill you from one wrong move. That would be a real shame, wouldn't it?)
I would actually like to see that.
Then, it would be as hard as Receiver; practice over 3 weeks would make my skill okay.
Someone make a flash game like this

Stuntddude

Post by Stuntddude » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:14 am

Timbles wrote:
Stuntddude wrote:Imagine if Mario also had to participate in fast-paced, brutal hand-to-hand combat with other short Italian plumbers as an integral part of the game.
I would actually like to see that.
Then, it would be as hard as Receiver; practice over 3 weeks would make my skill okay.
Someone make a flash game like this
NSMB on the DS actually has a versus multiplayer mode, that is insanely fun as long as you have fun friends.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:16 am

You guys are arguing against my exact wording, and not against my points. Why are you doing this?

Look, I was arguing that jumping in Overgrowth doesn't make a combat game any better.
As an answer, I get a reply telling me that I must hate platformer games. I was arguing about Overgrowth only! This has nothing to do with platformers!
Endoperez wrote:

Yeah, I would hate that.
Now, I decided to stay civil and point out that even in platformers, the challenge is not in fighting against the controls. I assumed you guys would have actually played a Mario game and would realize that, since there are so many ways to die in the game, and the only way to avoid death is to have really good controls, making those controls kill you in specific cases isn't good.
I even went and came up with a situation that matches Overgrowth as closely as possible. It's an entirely optional move you won't need, usually, it's trivial to avoid doing it once you know to avoid it, and it deals more damage than getting hit by an enemy.

And then you reply to it like this:
EPR89 wrote: But this is not Super Mario. It's a game where a wrong move can kill you. And jumping in the air and trying to land on your neck is a 10 out of ten on my wrong metre.
There is no other move in Overgrowth that results in you killing yourself. No, ',' isn't a move any more than 'x'.
I haven't been arguing that it should be removed or changed because a player can learn to kill himself every time with this. I've been arguing that it's unnecessary, and can distract the player from being an awesome ninja. It's about 1.5 on my wrong-o-meter, i.e. not correct but not a major issue at all.

Yeah, I'd hate that too. It'd really break the spirit of the game, and also your apples-to-living-brown-fungus comparison.

Why did you bring up platformers then, if you think we should be talking about fast-paced, brutal hand-to-hand combat.

Seriously, you changed the genres here. It's your fungus.

Stuntddude

Post by Stuntddude » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:28 am

Endoperez wrote:Why did you bring up platformers then, if you think we should be talking about fast-paced, brutal hand-to-hand combat.

Seriously, you changed the genres here. It's your fungus.
The original quip about platformers was not entirely serious (perhaps I should have been more clear about that).

I think we should be talking primarily about fast-paced, brutal hand-to-hand combat because that's what the thread is about. My point is that purely visual acrobatics (Mario) and multi-purpose practical shift-button-spamming (Overgrowth) is not a good comparison. They're two very different things, so they shouldn't be referred to as being the same.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:20 pm

Endoperez wrote:
EPR89 wrote: But this is not Super Mario. It's a game where a wrong move can kill you. And jumping in the air and trying to land on your neck is a 10 out of ten on my wrong metre.
There is no other move in Overgrowth that results in you killing yourself. No, ',' isn't a move any more than 'x'.
I haven't been arguing that it should be removed or changed because a player can learn to kill himself every time with this. I've been arguing that it's unnecessary, and can distract the player from being an awesome ninja. It's about 1.5 on my wrong-o-meter, i.e. not correct but not a major issue at all.
I guess we have just different tastes when it comes to this issue. To me it is absolutely logical that break my neck when I try to perform a flip without enough height to actually finishing it. When the AATweaks mod still worked I also enabled the features that made you enter ragdoll mode when running into a wall or NPC, because this is what I would expect. You just don't run into obstacles or flip close to the ground.
I do think that something like a parkour roll could be implemented, although it seems really useless considering how deep Overgrowth characters can fall. Their legs can probably absorb shocks so much better than human legs that a roll would be pretty useless or even dangerous for them.

kibaoo

Post by kibaoo » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:36 pm

Why should it be dangerous as a rabbit doing a parkour-roll on the ground? You know its supposed to reduce the kinetic energy of falling and directed not straigt into the ground which probably would break its backbone.

edit:
btw all charakters of overgrowth are humanoid.

rymm

Post by rymm » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:05 pm

...back on subject, sparring. i find that its almost impossible to perform a dodge using a controller.
i can do them easy enough with the keyboard, but hardly ever with the sticks. is it just me?

Parco Folgore

Post by Parco Folgore » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:14 pm

rymm wrote:...back on subject, sparring. i find that its almost impossible to perform a dodge using a controller.
i can do them easy enough with the keyboard, but hardly ever with the sticks. is it just me?
Had a hard time as well in the beginning, after a while i got used to the controller more and can do it more easlier now, my friend(a xbox lover) had no problem doing it from the start. so i guess it has to do what ur most used to.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:09 pm

kibaoo wrote:Why should it be dangerous as a rabbit doing a parkour-roll on the ground? You know its supposed to reduce the kinetic energy of falling and directed not straigt into the ground which probably would break its backbone.
That's just it. Their legs are not human legs. They are better at absorbing impacts. A roll can only be used to redirect the kinetic energy of an impact if you have enough forward momentum compared to your fall velocity, otherwise you would either faceplant or risk injuring your back if you do manage to somehow initiate the roll.
The huge drops Overgrowth characters can handle without damage show quite clearly that their legs make rolls unnecessary. And the fact that the rest of their body seems to be more human-like when it comes to enduring damage shows that a roll is not really an alternative for them.