A few (damage model related) suggestions

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Tilas300

Re: A few (damage model related) suggestions

Post by Tilas300 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:00 am

valentinbk wrote:I would love to see Wolfire add a blood amount setting (as in how much blood comes out in bleeding) ranging from what we have right now (a bit too little) to ridiculous amount.

Are we talking anime amounts of blood here?

valentinbk

Post by valentinbk » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:48 pm

Tilas300 wrote:
valentinbk wrote:I would love to see Wolfire add a blood amount setting (as in how much blood comes out in bleeding) ranging from what we have right now (a bit too little) to ridiculous amount.

You have to agree that the blood we have now compared to the actual wounds is way too little. I am optimistic about it though, David said in the podcast a few weeks ago he wants blood to pool. Hopefully that will come soon.

Tilas300

Post by Tilas300 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:18 pm

valentinbk wrote:
Tilas300 wrote:

You have to agree that the blood we have now compared to the actual wounds is way too little. I am optimistic about it though, David said in the podcast a few weeks ago he wants blood to pool. Hopefully that will come soon.
Of course. I'm not opposed to more blood. :twisted:

Causeless

Post by Causeless » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:34 pm

valentinbk wrote:
AmorphousGamer wrote:
valentinbk wrote:I was thinking they should add "arteries" to the game - locations that if are cut by knife will bleed massively.
When you cut your character's throat it spurts blood for a while, like if you cut an artery. Perhaps they could expand on that system?
Never noticed that . I did cut throats a couple of times but the effect was the same as in anywhere else.
Get behind someone with the knife and quickly hold right click to do a stealth grab before they can notice and attack attack you, then click. You'll cut their throat.

Alternatively, press the "," key. It'll activate the debug where it auto-cuts your characters throat. For a bit of fun watching the animation system, press "m" and "n" - it'll show the death ragdolls and wounded ragdolls, respectively.

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:30 am

If I may add, in case of deadly wound by the dog broadsword, yes the blood is too little, but also the reactions of the cut character are not perfectly realistic. It'd be cool to see different reactions depending on different hit location (I guess it's doable by linking the speed of fainting animation to the hitbox damage (proportional)).

Imagine to cut a major artery: during exercise athletes have a blood flow of around 35L per minute.
Untrained people around 20L or more, depending on various factor such as age, kind of exercise, body type etc.

With a blood flow like that, assuming that OG characters are athletes, we can say that the output of the aorta is 0.58L per second.
Cutting a major artery (inguinal artery), would mean a blood flow of about 0.15L per second.
Losing so much blood in such a little window of time determines a drop of blood pressure in the brain, leading to rapid fainting (rough estimate: about 10 seconds).
In case the cut is located on the throat the fainting is practically immediate.

Before losing all the blood the heart will stop pumping for lack of nutrients (less pressure + less blood flowing --> less nutrients to the heart by coronary circulation).
Thus we don't have to wait for all the blood to be outside of the body before a complete stop of the heartbeat and bloodflow.
The complete stop of blood flow should occur after about 20-30 seconds after a continuous decrease.

This are roughly the time at which character should feel weakened, faint, drop, stop pumping blood.
All of the above calculation are valid for athletes (35L bloodflow per minute) while exercising.
For normal people and at rest things change quite a bit.