Creek Environment?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
LugaruFan

Creek Environment?

Post by LugaruFan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:25 am

I recently saw on the concept art a Creek Environment map, does anybody anything about it? Or has it been cancelled? Has anything been said about this map? :|

Black_Stormy

Re: Creek Environment?

Post by Black_Stormy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:42 am

So far the only thing I have heard about water in OG is that the devs don't know if they want to include it, which stands to reason because then they'd have to add in swimming animations or limit the player to not being able to go into water. They'd also have to code new, expensive shaders, possibly animate the water, and create collision particles and such. If they can get away with it then it's far easier to just not include it.

I have heard on the grapevine though that someone wants to try their hand at modding it in...

tobyface

Post by tobyface » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:43 pm

Why not just have it knee depth? Not having water in a game set predominantly outdoors is a bit iffy to say the least!

wolfbrother9393

Post by wolfbrother9393 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:43 pm

Right now they can make puddles. I think they're semi reflective. And I agree with you that, even if there's no swimming or deep water that they should include some sort of rain/water/weather effect to add diversity to the visuals.

And I don't think that would be too difficult to add, against something huge like swimming.

Vox

Post by Vox » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:41 am

In the overgrowth system; water is actually harder to add than surface swimming, full swimming might be slightly harder, but water requires shaders to be developed etc, while swimming just needs a few animations and a script, maybe a few modifications to other scripts to stop jumping or rolling etc while in water, which are all easy to add for anyone.

Last I read water isn't being added for the former reason of rendering issues, but I don't remember what blog post that was, or if I remember that correctly.