Squirrels as a race

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Tylev24

Squirrels as a race

Post by Tylev24 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:27 pm

Overgrowth does have many races, and i like the theme, so i'm in no way expecting this, but wouldn't it be cool to play as a squirrel? :?:

Endoperez

Re: Squirrels as a race

Post by Endoperez » Sun May 01, 2011 10:55 pm

Squirrels climb trees and have fuzzy tails. Unless a climbing system is implemented, that'd leave out half of their total shtick, and while I appreciate a fuzzy tail, I don't think it makes them interesting enough.

If a climbing system is implemented, they could probably be modded in pretty easily, although texturing and/or animating that tail could cause problems.

Rovert

Post by Rovert » Mon May 02, 2011 6:57 pm

The races for the game have pretty much been decided by the dev team:
Rabbits, cats, dogs, wolves, and rats. When the game comes out there may be a way to mod in another race. But for the vanilla version of the game, it's unlikely :(

Black_Stormy

Post by Black_Stormy » Tue May 03, 2011 4:19 am

The entire process for modding in another race is already there. You can already do it. It just takes a long time to make the models and animations and code that a new race requires. It's not the kind of project any one dude can take on. It takes even more to make a race up to a standard that would fit in with Wolfires design. I'm 100% certain there will be player made race mods.

:wink: :wink:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue May 03, 2011 5:37 am

Black_Stormy wrote:The entire process for modding in another race is already there. You can already do it. It just takes a long time to make the models and animations and code that a new race requires. It's not the kind of project any one dude can take on. It takes even more to make a race up to a standard that would fit in with Wolfires design. I'm 100% certain there will be player made race mods.
Agreed, except that I think one person would be able to do it as long as he didn't have to change any of the more complex parts of the code, and/or wasn't trying to get everytthing up to professional standard. And was already a good modeler, sculpter, texturer and animator! :D

For example, making humans might be difficult since parts of the scripts try to keep your toes at the ground. That's fine for humanoids whose heels don't need to touch down while walking, but could cause complications for animating a human. A lynx or something like that, based on a rabbit anatomy, could probably use the same codebase with just the animations switched.

LucarFox

Post by LucarFox » Tue May 03, 2011 10:04 am

If your having issues making a decent model, just port over the Conker model as a placeholder.

Black_Stormy

Post by Black_Stormy » Tue May 03, 2011 11:45 am

Yeah that's totally easy to do and an acceptable practice for any modeler aiming at professionalism.

[/sarcasm], by the way.

LucarFox

Post by LucarFox » Wed May 04, 2011 6:08 pm

Google helps. >.>

metters4lyf

Post by metters4lyf » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:39 am

Fox, badger and seahorse. I will be content once I have these creatures in my roster! Squirrel is kind of cool too, but I am just waiting until some clever guy introduces aliens, zombies, insects and robots.

DarkDark

Post by DarkDark » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:25 am

God, Imagine a Human Sized Squirrel - To top it up, a Watermelon Sized Acorn.

:idea: I got an Idea:

If there were a Squirrel Race they could chuck Acorns at Others!!!!!! :lol:

Oddmann

Post by Oddmann » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:39 pm

I would like to see a Wombat-Humanoid race... or the layed back, smelly sloth-men! Don't need to be playable though... at all

mklitsner

Post by mklitsner » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:22 am

Horse people would sick. they would be like the wolf where they have super effective kicks and could run extremely fast and trample any crouching characters just by running over them. They wouldn't be able to hold weapons though considering their hooves, which would just make them that more badass

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:56 pm

Agreed, except that I think one person would be able to do it as long as he didn't have to change any of the more complex parts of the code, and/or wasn't trying to get everytthing up to professional standard. And was already a good modeler, sculpter, texturer and animator!
Actually the animation isn't need for editing unless you make NEW animations as the animations manipulate the bones, not the model. the animations are reskinned to the rig. That's why we can make turner use the wolf sweep kick animation instead of the normal one.
Fox, badger and seahorse. I will be content once I have these creatures in my roster!
I'm making a fox: Snagged on the final step of character: the character.xml
The texturing is hardest for me, and I can't import/export the Pheonix engine rigs, and I think that's what's snagging up my progress, but it's doable. I put a thread up that overviews my current issues, and what I've gotten done on the fox so far. The process is simple because of the engine, but difficult because the engine and process for characters isn't refined or even solid yet. But I must persist!

JC0001

Post by JC0001 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:11 am

I think a squirrel would be great, but only as a little side game. I can't exactly picture a full size humanoid squirrel like I can horse/rabbit/wolf etc. As a minigame it would be quite cool having to keep away from a wolf for a certain amount of time and if the wolf catches you tis game over :P, doing high jumps as a 'normal' size squirrel and jumping off walls, could be quite entertaining.

Raneman

Post by Raneman » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:05 am

Squirrels? Are you nuts?