"Compound 6" OG Map by TheCheshire

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
TheCheshire

"Compound 6" OG Map by TheCheshire

Post by TheCheshire » Wed May 25, 2011 11:32 pm

Hello all. New to the SPF and thought I would share my current project, codename "Compound 6".

"Compound 6" (name subject to change), built on Red Desert, currently consists of 4 sections. The Village, the Ruins, the Tower, and the Compound/City.

All small touches (plants, decals, accents) will be added at/towards the end of the build.

Until optimization is dialed in, all friendly and enemy AI is replaced with placeholders, they should be fairly obvious. Feel free to go thru and place the AI where the placeholders are if you want to fight thru the map. (Wolves go in the cages :wink: ) Warning: Adding the AI to this map will destroy framerate.

6/1/11 v1.1
For the most part this change involves the completion of the parkour tower, and the road system for the city/compound. I also threw in a few placement corrections to avoid glitching.

The tower now extends beyond the gold rings to the spiral skullcase for a nice view of the city. Since the latest update (a133) dealing with character collision, there are a few parts on the course I needed to fix, mainly the leaning platforms before the beam section, making it now easier to traverse. The beams also needed to be adjusted after the a133 update, so they are slightly different, and I would say slightly more difficult. I fixed a few walls that would allow you to skip ahead on the course, as well as added the center tower, and the aforementioned spiral skullcase. Oh, and there are now CHECKPOINTS! Endless thank-yous to ZramuliZ for the creation of the Linear Level Kit, get it here, and/or the files are also included with "Compound 6" v1.1 and higher. Get to the top if you can, and you'll have a nice overview inside the stone walls. Couple of tips: Use grab as often as you can, and, when traversing the beams, use the space between your bunny ears to line up your jump. Good luck!

The City has changed...well, the walls now house something resembleing the beginning of a city. The original building has been taken out (its saved, so it's likely to make a reapearance), and the road system has been placed. The overall layout of the road will likely stay the same with maybe a few additions, but the positioning might change (to square off better with the non-square walls..) but I'll see how it feels for a bit.. I also placed Aubreys Arena in just about the only place it would fit in the walls, given the uneven terrain. I even had to copy the arena, and flip it upside-down to extend the base so it would reach the ground and not have the arena half burried in the sand.

Thats it for now, enjoy!

Download:
v1.1.1 added files for checkpoint/kill system
http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads/ ... v1_1_1.zip
(Hosted by Anton)

This map (re)places the following files:
BACK UP aschar.as before you install
  • Data\Scripts\aschar.as
    Data\Materials\kill.xml
    Data\Materials\checkpoint.xml
Also, places folder "Custom Creations" within "Objects" containing the materials needed for the checkpoints, and kill zones. I'm not sure if it needs to be placed in the same folder as I have it, but that's what I did anyway.. if anyone can tell me otherwise, that would be great..

To install: Merge the Data folder provided with the one found in your install directory, as well as all folders found within data.
To run: Once in OG level choosing screen, type "compound_6.xml" into the space provided.

If you have any problems or questions feel free to ask, I am nearly always in the IRC channel, or just leave a post, and I'll respond as soon as I can.

Screenshots:
2011-06-01_00002.jpg
2011-06-01_00003.jpg
2011-06-01_00006.jpg
2011-06-01_00004.jpg
2011-06-01_00007.jpg
Last edited by TheCheshire on Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Re: "Compound 6" OG Map by TheCheshire

Post by Anton » Thu May 26, 2011 10:30 am

Great looking level! Can't wait to see the final version!

TheCheshire

Post by TheCheshire » Fri May 27, 2011 7:53 pm

ariehl wrote:Great looking level! Can't wait to see the final version!
Thanks :D Been really fun building it. It will be a bit before final release, but I'll be posting the changes along the way.

For anyone that has tried it, I would love some feedback to know where some improvements could be made, or some things that definitely shouldn't be changed. It's nice to have an outside view of things..

Alpharius

Post by Alpharius » Sat May 28, 2011 1:01 am

any screenshots?

TheCheshire

Post by TheCheshire » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:37 am

Updated to version 1.1, info above!
Alpharius wrote:any screenshots?
And yes! Now with screenshots!

daneco

Post by daneco » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:43 pm

Should I make a backup copy of those 3 files that are going to be replaced? or are they minor stuff? the map looks cool ;)

TheCheshire

Post by TheCheshire » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:27 pm

daneco wrote:Should I make a backup copy of those 3 files that are going to be replaced? or are they minor stuff? the map looks cool ;)
Cardinal rule, it's always a good idea to back-up files.. However, this shouldn't mess with anything, unless you are already using a mod which utilizes those files.. let me know if you have any other questions. :D

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:03 am

It looks like you forgot to include the "default_checkpoint.xml" and "default_kill.xml" materials from the linear level kit in the download. They are supposed to be located in .../Overgrowth/Data/Materials/.

Also, you should have the checkpoints be a smaller object on a larger object, otherwise the player might spawn outside of the platform.

Another thing is that there's nothing that will kill the player below the tower, so if you fall down you won't respawn at the last checkpoint.

Some of the roads in the city look pretty steep, would probably be pretty hard to move goods around in there for instance, which is something to take into consideration.

Getting better and better! :D

TheCheshire

Post by TheCheshire » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:02 am

Silverfish wrote:It looks like you forgot to include the "default_checkpoint.xml" and "default_kill.xml" materials from the linear level kit in the download. They are supposed to be located in .../Overgrowth/Data/Materials/.
Hmm, I had Anton test it, but in the one I sent him, I included the 'Linear Pack', so I should just include those files again.
Silverfish wrote:Also, you should have the checkpoints be a smaller object on a larger object, otherwise the player might spawn outside of the platform.
Yea, that's been changed up already, figured that out too late.. still doesn't work that well on the beam section.
Silverfish wrote:Another thing is that there's nothing that will kill the player below the tower, so if you fall down you won't respawn at the last checkpoint.
There's a kill platform in the center of the tower, but I couldn't decide if I wanted to make just a "kill-pad" on the ground outside the tower. The first checkpoint you come to has a kill pad opposite it as a checkpoint respawner, but also as a small irritant in the course, I love adding irritants :D So, it works pretty well to get back to your checkpoint. And it only takes 3 jumps to get to. Considering a kill pad on the ground tho..
Silverfish wrote:Some of the roads in the city look pretty steep, would probably be pretty hard to move goods around in there for instance, which is something to take into consideration.
Only 2 of the roads bring Turner to a walk, and they're short enough to jump twice to get over, its not too bad if you try it out. And if my plans go well, people wont be using the roads to get around anyway :wink:
Silverfish wrote: Getting better and better! :D
Thanks!! :D