Suggestion: Parkour?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
FoX_AaZzA

Suggestion: Parkour?

Post by FoX_AaZzA » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:28 am

after watching videos from lugaru HD and playing around with overgrowth, i think a really good addition would be a parkour element.

i think for now an easy way to address this would be to allow running up walls and climbing low ledges just by holding the right mouse button (at the moment i have to hold the 'grab ledge' down and jump as i get to low ledges, tho this is not perfect)

also, when you jump off walls, it would be nice if he switched direction so i could jump off at least one other wall

i really hope to see ALL the combat moves from lugaru HD in overgrowth, couple that with some RPG elements of some sort and this will turn out to be a really sweet game!

FoX_AaZzA

Re: Suggestion: Parkour?

Post by FoX_AaZzA » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:13 am

I guess nobody else like this idea?

m3nace

Post by m3nace » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:20 am

FoX_AaZzA wrote:I guess nobody else like this idea?
I guess everyone else is already more or less expecting this from Overgrowth in some way. Mind you, no matter what it'll be less of a priority than the combat system. As always.

johndh

Post by johndh » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:22 pm

FoX_AaZzA wrote:after watching videos from lugaru HD and playing around with overgrowth, i think a really good addition would be a parkour element.
*ahem*
Let me tell you 'bout a game called Overgrowth,
Parkour and fighting -- it's got 'em both!

pookaguy

Post by pookaguy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:37 pm

Isn't parkour already in the game?

johndh

Post by johndh » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:22 pm

pookaguy wrote:Isn't parkour already in the game?
From the looks of this video, parkour has been in the game for about a year already.

m3nace

Post by m3nace » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:53 am

I think he's talking about something like the S.M.A.R.T system from Brink. Holding down one button to run over stuff and such...

FoX_AaZzA

Post by FoX_AaZzA » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:25 am

m3nace wrote:I think he's talking about something like the S.M.A.R.T system from Brink. Holding down one button to run over stuff and such...
bingo, its annoying having to jump and grab just to get up a small ledge that is about knee height,
plus there is much much more to parkour than running along a wall

m3nace

Post by m3nace » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:55 pm

I'd like it if it actually took some skill to pull off the parkour element and would rather avoid a system like brink's. It makes it too easy to escape from your enemies and there's practically no challenge to it.

FoX_AaZzA

Post by FoX_AaZzA » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:55 am

i do agree in that aspect, but having to do a full jump just to get over a knee-high ledge? surely i can just hold a button down for him to know i want to 'leap-frog' it?

m3nace

Post by m3nace » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:56 am

See there's the thing again "hold down a button". I don't want a damn button I can just hold down, if anything I'd like to press it every time I needed to vault over or grab something.

Siledas

Post by Siledas » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:39 pm

i never had any problems scaling obstacles at knee height during plays-through of the various alphas. parkour as it is in games like brink or assassins creed seem kind of unnecessary considering the characters in this can jump the height of buildings that are several stories high anyway.

plus i like how the movement set is more involved than games like assassins creed (sorry, haven't played brink yet) since, while i loved it for what it was, it didn't allow for as much dexterity, imo.

in terms of parkour in games as reference, if you have to take it from anywhere, i'd rather it play a bit more like mirror's edge.