We need a basic "How To" thread.

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
h0lm

We need a basic "How To" thread.

Post by h0lm » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:41 am

Yes, a very basic one. When you just hit the forums, its impossible to get a clear overview, and the wiki doesnt help at all concerning the following points, and searching the forums doesnt do any good either:

Controls? What buttons do what. And no, I will not go look in the config, because there are buttons that are not shown in the config, that has an action ingame, such as mouse1, or z or v.

What am I able to do, at this point in time? Yes I am aware its an alpha, and thus I obviously don't expect anything else than bugs, but I'd still like to have a list of what kind of jumps are possible, and how to say for instance use the weapons.
If I drop a sword for myself, and try to attack a bunny with it (I assume the attack button for weapons is Mouse1 aswell), then I simply kick and punch the bunnies, rather than slice them.

Oh, and I cant get the blood to work? Anyone know if this is due to a graphics card setup or what?
Here is my rig: Intel i5 650, 2x2gb Corsair DDR3, Nvidia GTX285, Asus P7P55D.

Thanks!

Unwoundpath

Re: We need a basic "How To" thread.

Post by Unwoundpath » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:41 am

wasd moves, obviously, shift is crouch, e is to pick up weapons, q drops, tab slows time, z makes an active ragdoll based on whats going on (I believe). x resets all npc's and player to full health. c turns off the AI/turns on it. v makes a voice test. b does a "bow" animation (right now its a spear stab). n makes an active ragdoll clutching himself (protecting?). m makes a limp ragdoll. , makes BLOOD EVERYWHERE!!! l loads the level, and holding left click attacks, while right mouse hold makes you grab ledges/ block right when an enemy attacks then click it, hold it then to through.
Thats all I know about the control's for now.

For now the only weapons that work (have attacks hooked up to them) are the spear, the broadsword, and the Glaive, and yes you attack by holding left mouse

Blood only comes out of enemy's who have been hit by a weapon. ( or pressed , :twisted: )

I hope this was helpful, for you and others!

h0lm

Post by h0lm » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:03 am

exactly what I needed, thank you very much!

Hale

Post by Hale » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:19 am

I think we need to unsticky a lot up there, and just link to them in one comprehensive topic, where there could be a simple to understand "How to" section at the top, and then maybe a more complicated, in depth depository of information following that.

Gifted

Post by Gifted » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:01 am

I think we need an editor "how-to" as well. I can never figure out how to stretch individual sides and rotate efficiently.

Hale

Post by Hale » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:17 am

Renegayed_Turner wrote:I think we need an editor "how-to" as well. I can never figure out how to stretch individual sides and rotate efficiently.
The images on the right here should help a bit. Just hold down Shift + RMB with the scale tool to scale perpendicular to the selected face, or just RMB to scale the selected face's plane.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:23 am

Renegayed_Turner wrote:I think we need an editor "how-to" as well. I can never figure out how to stretch individual sides and rotate efficiently.
This video is still surprisingly accurate (aside from using Rabbot):

The only thing that I would say is incorrect is, when you want to pull an object along the normal, it's shift + right click, not just shift.

Also, using the snap feature he mentions in the video, you can snap the rotation, which can be very convenient.

And while I'm linking videos, this one is really great for working with decals:

Edit: The three most useful pages on the wolfire wiki:
Character Control
Control Reference
Basic Controls (similar to control reference, but with pictures)

Futuremoth

Post by Futuremoth » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:34 pm

Pressing E to pick up weapons isn't working for me