I'm going to throw my hat in the ring here...

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
neilsonbird

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring here...

Post by neilsonbird » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:39 am

First of all, very very cool game. One of the most original ideas I've seen in a very long time. I'm honestly not even a fan of PC games but this one's really a diamond in the rough.

I know you guys have like a million suggestions on this, so I'll try to be quick, and I know that this is just alpha but there's a few things missing that have really stood out to me.

Footprints on the terrain... probably an obvious one once the project moves forward.

Also, why such small steps while running? Long strides would seem more fitting for such large feet. When I was a kid I saw jack rabbits all the time and what really threw me off when I chased them was that they could turn on a dime because of their hop and long stride.

I'm a huge fan on the no damage on long falls, I first saw this in Prototype and got a thrill every time I would leap off a building and hit the ground with a shattering effect. Obviously a rabbit's a bit more light on it's feet than Mercer, but I think a nice touch would be a recovery animation. Instead of diving right back into the running animation when he hits the ground, may have a stumble to regain balance.
Or on a direct drop, a chance to rebound back upward with added height if you hit the jump at just the right time.

The arms directly at his side (very stiff) when he jumps also gives me a bit of a tic... And that clicking when an enemy isn't around doesn't do anything.

Getting ganged up by the enemy AI is a bit frustrating. BatmanAA had a good way of letting turns take effect, but not so much that you expected it.

I'm honestly not trying to tell you guys how to do your job, you're obviously very good at it. Truth be told though I've been running around the level with the red towers for about 6 hours now tripping out over the fluid controls, this game really is amazing and it's like a manifestation of what I've been looking for in a game for a long time. I'm just getting a bit attached is all, and I'd like to help.

So... thanks, I'm really sorry if I come off rude.

adwuga

Re: I'm going to throw my hat in the ring here...

Post by adwuga » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:18 am

not rude at all. always good to have some honest and unbiased opinions around here.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:10 am

Yeah this is exactly what the forum is about. That's probably the most polite suggestion I've ever seen here :D
I agree about everything (especially the arms thing, that always seems a bit odd) except the rebounding thing and the ganging up thing. The rebound thing, while interesting, doesn't really physically make sense, and thus I wouldn't like to see it, unless Turner was composed of rubber :?
The ganging up thing is something that many people have mentioned, and I kind of like the fact that the enemies don't stand in line. It's real. It promotes a higher level of skill, and ensures that fights never have dull moments. Anyways, those are just my opinions. Good suggestions, not rude at all, welcome. :)

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:14 am

same here with the group fights. they are very difficult and need some balancing(like when they both kick you while you're on the ground and it kills you) but no turns. having it realistic makes you need to think outside the box. something I do sometimes is wall run, flip behind them and spin kick one before they can turn around. its pretty fun, but also difficult. that's why you try to stay in 1 v 1 fights, just like in real life.

last

Post by last » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:36 am

There are footprints in this game but they are disabled for now.

ZramuliZ

Post by ZramuliZ » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:13 pm

You can enable experimental footprints. It should work in Desert Outpost level. Just open aschar.as and uncomment these lines in HandleAnimationMaterialEvent:

Code: Select all

//this_mo.MaterialDecalAtBone("step", "left_leg");
//this_mo.MaterialDecalAtBone("step", "right_leg");

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:42 pm

Group's ganging up on you is how it's meant to be, so it's not wussy.
Also on really long falls there should be damage just like lugaru.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:19 am

For fall damage, I think at the moment it simply needs to be tuned a bit more. While I agree it's exhilarating in a game like prototype to jump from building into the street without damage, it's also exhilarating to have a fight close to the edge of a cliff knowing that a wrong move will send you plummeting to your death.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:31 pm

I think the fall damage distance right now is fine, but it could be a little harsher. The main thing I want to see is a roll-to-negate-damage feature.

neilsonbird

Post by neilsonbird » Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:13 pm

Jacktheawesome wrote:I think the fall damage distance right now is fine, but it could be a little harsher. The main thing I want to see is a roll-to-negate-damage feature.
I like that idea quite a bit, and also fighting near the edge worried about falling.