Runaway (Custom Map)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
AndreDinisCTU

Runaway (Custom Map)

Post by AndreDinisCTU » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:39 am

Level Objective: Find a way to exit this place and get to the outside world. Runaway.

Well, this is my first map. I tried to vary between scenaries, and I like 2 of them that I've made.
But the only thing I don't like is the stretching that I did to g.e. wall objects. They became blurred and unrealistic. Only when I finished the level that I really learned how to manipulate objects like cloning objects with ALT and to move objects between right measures with CTRL and RIGHT click. (What a NOOB, right??)

In spite of that, don't get yourselves fooled by the first glance you have at the beginning of my level. It becomes better as you advance. Obviously, don't get your hopes high in terms of graphics, because this is not a beautiful and well-designed map, in my opinion, it is like an AMATEUR-platformer-adventure-puzzle solving map with some wall texture stretched, I think it is a one-time map play.

If you are getting some trouble in passing through the level, let me know and I'll make a walkthrough video of it. And, don't rage yourselves over the platforms of my level, it isn't worthy :P. Just pass through with "checkpoints" (turning on editor mode and moving your green square to the place where you are having difficulties) in the harder sections.

I loved making this one and now I'm improving my map skills so that I can make a better one for our community.

Would love to hear from you guys of what you think, what you liked and disliked.

Some pics:
1st part_edited.png
2nd part_edited.png
3rd part_edited.png
My 2nd version playthrough with my idealized ways:

Download the 1st version of map:
Runaway (Custom Map).zip
EDIT: Those who previously downloaded the 1st version of the map, I recommend to get this 2nd one because:

- I replaced the wolf for an enemy rabbit in Ruins.
- I deleted 1 rabbit of 2 previously existent just close to the "castle", just before my 3rd part pic.
- Added wood platforms in the final scene so that it wouldn't be that hard and a second path in a near location, which is a bit (or not) quicker than to go through all the sticks; you can choose.

Advantages on getting the 2nd version: +fps :D. Oh, and thanks to Anton and Silverfish for their OG weekly 37 commentaries in regard of my map. I noted your sayings and with this I just improved a little my map but I'm not going to edit it anymore. The next thing I'm going to do is preparing myself for a 2nd map, a cooler and more realistic one.

Download the 2nd version of map:
Runaway (Custom Map) - 2nd version.zip
Enjoy :D

PS: I love how the level ends. "You'll only find salvation in death."

I have never, as a gamer, took a role and contributed with something to a community so supportive and awesome like this. I'm really enjoying being part of something that sure is going to revolutionize the game industry.
Last edited by AndreDinisCTU on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:16 am, edited 8 times in total.

adwuga

Re: Runaway (Custom Map)

Post by adwuga » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:21 pm

This looks pretty awesome. I'll have to try it out when I get the chance.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:44 am

I made a gameplay video of this level!

I really liked the level because there wasn't a clear route at all times, I had to really think about how I could keep going in the level. It took me a bit over 30 minutes to play through the level, that was cut down to 10 minutes when removing most of the fails.

I like that you gave the player a weapon before every enemy, because the level is hard enough as it is even without the enemies. Though I think you could probably have removed the enemies and weapons altogether, because as I said, it's really hard enough as it is. Also, some people's computers just can't handle NPCs well at all, but are missing out on an awesome level because the NPCs are there to lower the FPS to unplayability.

In general I think it's a really good level! It's a really hard one, but I found it to be the perfect level of difficulty for me. It also has a very good length. Very much looking forward to your next one!

Oh and BTW, you should probably stick to having one big block for the walls, because you save A LOT of performance having one big block compared to having 100 small blocks...
A LOT

AndreDinisCTU

Post by AndreDinisCTU » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:57 pm

Silverfish, I'm honored for your review of my map. I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it was at the right difficulty for you. I didn't know that using only a one wall instead of a 100 blocks of wall would be considerably less fps (more performance) in the game. Now that I think of it, it makes sense. :D

I uploaded a 2nd version that reduces considerably an amount of fps, if you want to tryout.

I saw your video and you managed to pass through the level with non-intentional-developer moves. Some I wasn't expecting you to make. I should make a video of it, of me passing through like I was imagining you would have to do.

I'm already thinking in making a 2nd map, but first, I'm collecting ideas for a better map of the same style as this one, I hope.

Glad for your reply, thanks for making a video of my level. See you on yours and Anton's OG weekly! :D

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:57 pm

Wow, that ending! :lol: So cool! :D He shouldn't have stayed to watch the credits. :D

LaP0573

Post by LaP0573 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:12 pm

Impressive map, can't properly play it on this computer since it lags a bit, but as soon as I get back home, I'll try to finish it. Thanks to Silverfish, I learned a new move, bouncing off walls like that =)
The ending was awesome too. Can't wait to see your next map.

AndreDinisCTU

Post by AndreDinisCTU » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:17 pm

adwuga wrote:This looks pretty awesome. I'll have to try it out when I get the chance.
Endoperez wrote:Wow, that ending! :lol: So cool! :D He shouldn't have stayed to watch the credits. :D
LaP0573 wrote:Impressive map, can't properly play it on this computer since it lags a bit, but as soon as I get back home, I'll try to finish it. Thanks to Silverfish, I learned a new move, bouncing off walls like that =)
The ending was awesome too. Can't wait to see your next map.
Guys, thanks so much for the support, I really appreciate it. :P
Last edited by AndreDinisCTU on Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:06 pm

Awesome map! Wow.
SF wrote:Oh and BTW, you should probably stick to having one big block for the walls, because you save A LOT of performance having one big block compared to having 100 small blocks...
A LOT
Unfortunately, this is a bit hard right now, as on most blocks the texture gets stretched out and it doesn't look very nice.

AndreDinisCTU

Post by AndreDinisCTU » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:34 pm

Jacktheawesome wrote:Awesome map! Wow.
SF wrote:Oh and BTW, you should probably stick to having one big block for the walls, because you save A LOT of performance having one big block compared to having 100 small blocks...
A LOT
Unfortunately, this is a bit hard right now, as on most blocks the texture gets stretched out and it doesn't look very nice.
Yeah... ( -quality to +performance ) OR ( +quality to -performance)
Which of these two is to be picked?

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:17 pm

My computer really only starts slowing down when about 3+ AI are introduced, so I usually go with the latter.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:17 pm

Opposite for me: Handles 5 AI ok, but objects slow it down a ton, as do the new blood effects. Fun map, although it was too difficult for me to get past the very first section.

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:48 pm

Wow. It's kind of funny how different things slow different computers down. Ragdolls are fine, objects are fine, new blood is fine, cascaded shadows crash the game, AI drops it about 5 fps per.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:34 am

Yeah it is. But I have an integrated intel card, so rendering high end realtime texturing and mass geometry is lag fest, while processor work like ragdolls and AI is a piece of cake with a newer processor. Even if it's a lower end, new processor ;)

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:05 pm

Not sure what I have. I have an older iMac. I know it's an Intel processor though.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:42 am

It was really interesting to see how the map was intended to be played, but I find it really good that you allow for several ways of completing a level, that's why I really felt like I had to think I guess. Your solutions where too advanced to me, so I had to come up with my own.

Again, great work, I'm looking forward to your next map!