Runaway (Custom Map)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
BloodFist

Re: Runaway (Custom Map)

Post by BloodFist » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:13 pm

Very cool man. I'm not sure I am a bad enough dude to beat your level.

AndreDinisCTU

Post by AndreDinisCTU » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:25 pm

BloodFist wrote:Very cool man. I'm not sure I am a bad enough dude to beat your level.
Thanks. Thanks very much :P

Eamojoe

Post by Eamojoe » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Uhh... Sorry for being a noob, but whenever I install custom maps... I get an error message saying "Bad xml data in level fileData/Levels/Runaway.xml" I have no idea what that means. I would really like to try this level, but for some reason I can't. Oh, and just in case, the Overgrowth command line says "RGBA bits, depth: 8 8 8 8, 24 32 texture units supported. GL_MAX_VERTEX_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS: 16384 Hardware threads: 2". No idea what that means, either.

AndreDinisCTU

Post by AndreDinisCTU » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:03 pm

Eamojoe wrote:Uhh... Sorry for being a noob, but whenever I install custom maps... I get an error message saying "Bad xml data in level fileData/Levels/Runaway.xml" I have no idea what that means. I would really like to try this level, but for some reason I can't. Oh, and just in case, the Overgrowth command line says "RGBA bits, depth: 8 8 8 8, 24 32 texture units supported. GL_MAX_VERTEX_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS: 16384 Hardware threads: 2". No idea what that means, either.
I don't have a clue why is happening that to you... are you naming it correctly when it comes to writing the name of the map? Like "Runaway.xml"?

Eamojoe

Post by Eamojoe » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:30 pm

AndreDinisCTU wrote:
Eamojoe wrote:Uhh... Sorry for being a noob, but whenever I install custom maps... I get an error message saying "Bad xml data in level fileData/Levels/Runaway.xml" I have no idea what that means. I would really like to try this level, but for some reason I can't. Oh, and just in case, the Overgrowth command line says "RGBA bits, depth: 8 8 8 8, 24 32 texture units supported. GL_MAX_VERTEX_UNIFORM_COMPONENTS: 16384 Hardware threads: 2". No idea what that means, either.
I don't have a clue why is happening that to you... are you naming it correctly when it comes to writing the name of the map? Like "Runaway.xml"?
Cool, I figured it out. I was putting it in the Overgrowth Documents folder, not the program files one. Don't know if that made since, but it works now. :D

AndreDinisCTU

Post by AndreDinisCTU » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:34 pm

Eamojoe wrote: Cool, I figured it out. I was putting it in the Overgrowth Documents folder, not the program files one. Don't know if that made since, but it works now. :D
You have always to extract the map to the "levels" folder of the installed folder game, not in the one in documents. I guess it confuses some people. Hope you enjoy the map :P

Dogchief_NL

Post by Dogchief_NL » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:44 am

This shows how awesome level editors can be.
Only the floating objects is all that I don't like. but man,
That level deserves to be well known around here.
Good job,

Nixitur

Post by Nixitur » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:41 pm

Oh god, this is so difficult. >_<
Especially the part where you have to scale up the four walls by continous wallrunning. I just can never get it to work. It seems your running gets faster the more you do it, but I just slow down. How do you do that part? And I mean exact timing, because I can't get it to work. What buttons do you hold, which do you just tap?
Also, you both always use the spin-walljump, but how is that better than a simple walljump? Although it makes no sense, you can still jump off a wall if you collide with it with your back, so why spin-jumping?
Also, this level lags a lot on my PC. Especially if I engage ragdoll (by pressing Y, N or M) during which it slows down to like 3 fps. But strangely, after that it runs fine for some time until the performance plummets again. Then, I do the ragdoll spiel again and it runs fine for another 30 seconds or so.
That is really, really strange.

AndreDinisCTU

Post by AndreDinisCTU » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:07 pm

Nixitur wrote:Oh god, this is so difficult. >_<
Especially the part where you have to scale up the four walls by continous wallrunning. I just can never get it to work. It seems your running gets faster the more you do it, but I just slow down. How do you do that part? And I mean exact timing, because I can't get it to work. What buttons do you hold, which do you just tap?
Also, you both always use the spin-walljump, but how is that better than a simple walljump? Although it makes no sense, you can still jump off a wall if you collide with it with your back, so why spin-jumping?
Also, this level lags a lot on my PC. Especially if I engage ragdoll (by pressing Y, N or M) during which it slows down to like 3 fps. But strangely, after that it runs fine for some time until the performance plummets again. Then, I do the ragdoll spiel again and it runs fine for another 30 seconds or so.
That is really, really strange.
For jumping through those 4 walls until you get to the top, you must see the following:

- Press and maintain SPACE jumping towards the first wall.
- Maintain SPACE pressed through all the process. Between jumps from wall to wall, just use SHIFT and point your camera to the wall you want to jump to. You have got to do this very quickly as you already should know.
- It's all about timing. You have to know what is the time limit between staying in the wall running and the moment you're starting to fall. Knowing this, you will master your timing jumps. As you are wallrunning and seeing that you are getting quicker, you have to see if you have to almost click two times in SHIFT, altering your normal interval of jumping because of the approximate edge between the two walls interlinked, returning then to your normal jumping interval again. If you don't, you'll always fall in this situation. Just see my playthough and you'll see what I'm saying:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JuXqGcijTA

Yeah, my map tends to be laggy with NPCs, so I recommend you to remove them and save the map in editor mode. I don't know if you downloaded my 2nd version of the map. It increases FPS considerably compared to my 1st one.

In regard of "Why spin-jumping?", I don't know what to answear, LOL. Because is fun? :P

Nixitur

Post by Nixitur » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:04 pm

AndreDinisCTU wrote:For jumping through those 4 walls until you get to the top, you must see the following:

- Press and maintain SPACE jumping towards the first wall.
- Maintain SPACE pressed through all the process. Between jumps from wall to wall, just use SHIFT and point your camera to the wall you want to jump to. You have got to do this very quickly as you already should know.
WHAT, you can jump away from walls without releasing Space just by using Shift?! o.O
I honestly didn't know that! I always pressed Space to jump away from a wall.
So, I hold Space to wallrun, released Space and pressed it again, holding it, to jump away from the wall and start wallrunning on the next one.
Now that I know that you can hold Space all the time, this is a lot easier. That also explains why you spinjump instead of normal jump. Because using the spinjump, you can hold Space the whole time, making it much easier.
Edit: I feel pretty silly now. I didn't even notice that holding the Jump button jumps continuously which is the reason why you can spin-walljump while just holding it.
Also, I found a bug in your map with the first enemy. The first time I encountered him, I didn't even see the weapon and even when I went down to his level, he just stood there staring at me, allowing me to punch his lights out without being bothered by him at all. The AI's fixation on weapons does strange things sometimes.
Also, once the AI for this game can solve this course, we are so screwed. :mrgreen:

AndreDinisCTU

Post by AndreDinisCTU » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:12 am

Dogchief_NL wrote:This shows how awesome level editors can be.
Only the floating objects is all that I don't like. but man,
That level deserves to be well known around here.
Good job,
Thanks for your kind words. The part of the floating objects were some how misplaced from the rest of the map, but well, there they are :D.

Nixitur wrote: Edit: I feel pretty silly now. I didn't even notice that holding the Jump button jumps continuously which is the reason why you can spin-walljump while just holding it.
Don't be. Often we don't think of the obvious things to try in gameplay, even if this was not obvious to learn or be heard from.
Also, I found a bug in your map with the first enemy. The first time I encountered him, I didn't even see the weapon and even when I went down to his level, he just stood there staring at me, allowing me to punch his lights out without being bothered by him at all. The AI's fixation on weapons does strange things sometimes.
Yeah, that happened to me several times when editing the level. NPCs' AI, every once in a while, loses a screw from his head, XD.
Also, once the AI for this game can solve this course, we are so screwed. :mrgreen:
Yeah, ahahh. We won't stand a chance :P

edoantonioco

Post by edoantonioco » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:22 am

I fixed this map to work on current version of the game, had to bring plant.xml from an old alpha and fix some incorrect paths
Attachments
runaway-sum.zip
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 66 times

AndreDinisCTU

Post by AndreDinisCTU » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:13 pm

Wow! I just logged in and saw the date of the last post message, before yours edoantonioco: 25 Sep 2011.

Just wow! You digged up the map I developped from the forgotten world and brought it back!

Thanks, edoantonioco :)

Hope you all enjoy it, although it was my first map, and I'm kind of happy with it.