Controller Support (Mac - for now...)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Anton
pretty cool guy

Controller Support (Mac - for now...)

Post by Anton » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:56 am

Hey guys,

I was playing with my controllers on my Mac, I have both an XBox 360 and a PS3 controller hooked up to my computer, and I'm getting both to work great! The only thing that was weird was I didn't know what all the buttons needed to be assigned to so everything would work. So I made two charts for you guys showing what the button labels are on each controller, so you can set your configuration as you desire.
XBox Controller Labels - Mac
XBox Controller Labels - Mac
PS3 Controller Labels - Mac
PS3 Controller Labels - Mac

The setup for each controller is pretty simple (as long as you have Snow Leopard and above).

For the PS3, Mac OS 10.6.3 and above has native support (over bluetooth) so connect your PS3 controller to your computer, and hit the PS Button, then unplug your controller, and it will sync to your Mac now.

For the XBox 360 controller, you need to install Tattiebogle which is a driver that will give you support. I only use a wired controller for this, so once the driver is installed, it's just plug and play.

Let me know if this helps, or if you have any questions.

(For Windows people, I'll update those charts for you, if someone wants to do the research and figure out the button controls. The triggers from the XBox on Windows are not very elegant, so I recommend using David's defaults for those...)

last

Re: Controller Support (Mac - for now...)

Post by last » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:13 am

i think this should be added in here so everyone can configure config.txt. there is also little guid how to make changes in config.txt
http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/How_t ... figuration

Starkiller2000

Post by Starkiller2000 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:31 am

Thank you so much for adding this, it will help a lot, because i have most of them figured out but it took a long time and was just trial and error.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:10 pm

Starkiller2000 wrote:Thank you so much for adding this, it will help a lot, because i have most of them figured out but it took a long time and was just trial and error.
Hehe... it was just "structured" trial and error for me... the hardest one being the triggers on the XBox controller, since they are treated as an axis instead of a button. All I did was systematically go through all the possibilities and write them down until they were all logged. (Sadly, they didn't correspond to my controller mapping software... that would have made things much easier...)

Starkiller2000

Post by Starkiller2000 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:46 pm

So what do you set if you want to use the triggers to attack and block?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:05 pm

Starkiller2000 wrote:So what do you set if you want to use the triggers to attack and block?
If you're using the XBox 360, the left trigger needs to be set to axis5>0.5 and the right trigger is axis6>0.5
Basically, they are both an axis, but only work if the input is greater than 0.5

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:16 am

Only kind of relevant, just for your convenience:

A while back I put together a big xbox controller for use in xbox button mappings on the cortex command forums (link):

I've uploaded the PSD here on Anton's mod site in case anyone wants to use it: http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads/ ... er.psd.zip

It has some extra layers to highlight the edges but those can easily be hidden.

collybolly

Post by collybolly » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:09 pm

I wish I found this post sooner. I had to try random combos to see what worked. :mrgreen:

akazi

Post by akazi » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:50 pm

sweet, do you think you can show me what configuration you have for the ps3 controller for windows?

kingbonghogg

Post by kingbonghogg » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:57 am

Johannes wrote:Only kind of relevant, just for your convenience:

A while back I put together a big xbox controller for use in xbox button mappings on the cortex command forums (link):

I've uploaded the PSD here on Anton's mod site in case anyone wants to use it: http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads/ ... er.psd.zip

It has some extra layers to highlight the edges but those can easily be hidden.
LOL cortex command, i miss that game

bennyp

Post by bennyp » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:55 am

Thanks!

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:17 am

Since I'm not necro-ing my own thread, I thought I'd mention that we came up with a new controller configuration that I like better than the default. This works particularly well for 2 players in versus mode.

If you are using a PS3 on Mac, it would look like this:
Screen shot 2012-06-11 at 11.04.39 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-06-11 at 11.04.39 PM.png (18.43 KiB) Viewed 3529 times
The same configuration using a xbox360 controller on Mac would be:
controller[movex]: axis1
controller[movey]: axis2
controller[lookx]: axis3
controller[looky]: axis4
controller[jump]: button12
controller[crouch]: button14
controller[item]: button19
controller[drop]: button10
controller[attack]: axis6>0.5
controller[grab]: button9 (or axis5>0.5)

And on xbox360 controller on Windows it would be:
xbox[jump]: A
xbox[crouch]: X
xbox[attack]: RT
xbox[grab]: LT (or LB)
xbox[item]: B
xbox[drop]: RB

If you guys try this configuration, let me know what you think...

bennyp

Post by bennyp » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:58 am

Better, but it's a bit tense switching back and forth from viewcam to buttons. I suppose that can't be avoided. I have an issue with the triggers, where blocking with them doesn't stick, it just engages the block for a split second when the axis passes the 0.5 mark then disengages.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:05 am

bennyp wrote:Better, but it's a bit tense switching back and forth from viewcam to buttons. I suppose that can't be avoided. I have an issue with the triggers, where blocking with them doesn't stick, it just engages the block for a split second when the axis passes the 0.5 mark then disengages.
So two thoughts. You can enable the auto cam in the config.txt file which means you don't have to control the camera as much (which is probably the intended way to play with a controller).

Second, the block is always a timed block, you can't hold it down (even on keyboard/mouse) so that is not an issue with the controller at all, but in fact the intentional design of the game.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:35 am

Anton wrote:
bennyp wrote:Better, but it's a bit tense switching back and forth from viewcam to buttons. I suppose that can't be avoided. I have an issue with the triggers, where blocking with them doesn't stick, it just engages the block for a split second when the axis passes the 0.5 mark then disengages.
Second, the block is always a timed block, you can't hold it down (even on keyboard/mouse) so that is not an issue with the controller at all, but in fact the intentional design of the game.

Just to add to this, most fighting games have it where your attack is a timed button press, and block can just be held down.

In Overgrowth however it's the exact opposite: attacks can be held as long as you want, and blocks have to be timed right.