Help loading levels/ Any fixes for the crashing in A163?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Bahlof

Help loading levels/ Any fixes for the crashing in A163?

Post by Bahlof » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:53 pm

I posted kind of the same thing in the alpha thread but i thought it might be more suited here since no one seemed to know how to fix it. I cant remember how long ago this happened but it was definitely more then 20 alphas ago. I've also been downloading just the updates for quite awhile and im sure that reinstalling would fix my problem but i have a horrible bandwidth restriction so Im trying to avoid downloading the whole thing again.

On the forgotten plains and desert outpost levels i get an error "the file C:/users/user/documents/wolfire/overgrowth/data/temp/conversion.dds is not a supported image type (or couldnt not be found). Then it crashes the game.

Also has anyone figured out how to fix the crashing on loading levels (with trees in them it seems) for the latest alpha?

thanks!

last

Re: Help loading levels/ Any fixes for the crashing in A163?

Post by last » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:02 pm

have you tryed that viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14138&start=30#p148222 fix? it helped me. maybe even you

Bahlof

Post by Bahlof » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:16 pm

last wrote:have you tryed that viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14138&start=3 8)0#p148222 fix? it helped me. maybe even you
hmm i just tried it and it didnt seem to work. I only tested the forest level (i forget the name right now) real quick. Im also running windows, i dont know if that makes a difference or not but i thought id mention.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:10 am

Concerning the crash with the filepath you mentioned, that sounds like a corrupted cache. That can happen sometimes if something goes wrong when an alpha is making the cache files, or if one alpha has a bug in the cache.

C:/users/user/documents/wolfire/overgrowth/data/ is where the alphas automatically save their cache files to. Try deleting that 'data' folder (not the one in program files of-course). This will force the engine to re-create the cache files, and hopefully fix the issue on those maps.

In general it's a good practice to clear your cache every few alphas to avoid any issues that might creep in. The only down-side to clearing the cache is that it can take a bit longer when you load the respectice maps for the first time again while the engine re-builds the necessary cache files.

ZramuliZ

Post by ZramuliZ » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:25 am

I'm also having problems loading levels. Every time I try to load the official Lugaru Challenge 1 or Patchy Highlands it crashes without any information. The last thing it does is "Adding loaded objects to scene..."
I have tried reinstalling, deleting the cache, using the Main Menu Mod, not using the Main Menu Mod, the Anton's Green Bush Test.

last

Post by last » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:10 am

There is a fix for it now in here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14138&start=30#p148437

Bahlof

Post by Bahlof » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:17 pm

Johannes wrote:Concerning the crash with the filepath you mentioned, that sounds like a corrupted cache. That can happen sometimes if something goes wrong when an alpha is making the cache files, or if one alpha has a bug in the cache.

C:/users/user/documents/wolfire/overgrowth/data/ is where the alphas automatically save their cache files to. Try deleting that 'data' folder (not the one in program files of-course). This will force the engine to re-create the cache files, and hopefully fix the issue on those maps.

In general it's a good practice to clear your cache every few alphas to avoid any issues that might creep in. The only down-side to clearing the cache is that it can take a bit longer when you load the respectice maps for the first time again while the engine re-builds the necessary cache files.
Hmm i tried and it still seemed to have the same problem.

@Last the fix still doesnt work for me :\