[Auto Updater] SUMLauncher - 3.0.8

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Anton
pretty cool guy

Re: [Auto Updater] SUMLauncher - 2.1.2

Post by Anton » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:31 am

bennyp wrote:Hey Anton, I've got flaky connection syndrome, check out this excerpt from my download log:
[+] Snip

Code: Select all

Checking Directory: MacOS/Data/Textures/skies/directory.txt...Done!
Updating: MacOS/Data/Textures/skies/AltoStratus1.tga
Updating: MacOS/Data/Textures/skies/AltoStratus1.tga
Updating: MacOS/Data/Textures/skies/AltoStratus1.tga...Done!
Updating: MacOS/Data/Textures/skies/Blue2.tga
Updating: MacOS/Data/Textures/skies/Blue2.tga...Done!
Updating: MacOS/Data/Textures/skies/Cirrus1.tga
Updating: MacOS/Data/Textures/skies/Cirrus1.tga...Done!
Updating: MacOS/Data/Textures/skies/CloudySunset.tga
Updating: MacOS/Data/Textures/skies/CloudySunset.tga...Done!
YUCK! each one of those lines means I had to click on the "yes" button when asked to retry the connection. Could you add an option to automatically retry when downloading updates? (This should only apply to menu mod and alpha updates, since if you applied this to the SUMLauncher update checker, the app would never start, it would get stuck in a loop trying to download sumlauncher updates)

Cheers
Yuck... What a pain. I'll have Aaron take a look at it and see what he can do. We're working on some new ways to manage mods through SUMLauncher, and I'm hoping it will fix these kinds of problems. Also, it's possible that my server was having more traffic than usual, since this update was mentioned in the blog post... (Which should also be remedied by our potential fixes...)

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:14 pm

Javafant wrote:I noticed that SUMLauncher doesn't work properly on my archlinux pc using java7. The drop-down-menus close immediatly after I release my mouse button and I can't click any item in the menus. However with java6 everything works fine. It would be great if you could fix this because especially on linux many people are using java7. Also I noticed that I have to resize the window one time at the beginning after sumlauncher has loaded to see anything. So I guess the drawing event is not called at the beginning?
Edit:
I guess it's related to awesome wm which had some problems in the past with java applications. However all other java applications are working just fine. Are you using awt or swing for the gui?
I'm using Swing, everything pretty much standard - its unfortunate that Java support is having issues, I'm not sure what I could do about it though. All of the components I use in the UI are the standard Swing components.

Sreiner

Post by Sreiner » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:58 am

Johannes wrote: Aaron, here is his original post:
Sreiner wrote:I have been trying to run SUMLauncher.exe but nothing happens so I downloaded the linux file which is a .jar but when I run the update after a pack is downloaded I get the error: "Error extracting zip (Access is denied)". Any way this can be fixxed?
Your issue is different - possibly related to java. What version of java are you using?
What Operating system are you using?
I am using the latest version of java I have windows 7 x64 bit My antivirus is Eset Nod32 I can play the game without any problem. I would be glad if there is any solution for my problem

[mod edit to fix quote formatting - Johannes]

confused

Post by confused » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:10 am

Hey Aaron, Anton and the other people behind SUMLauncher,
Thanks for your continued effort to make the Overgrowth experience as smooth and easy as possible, it is really great what this tool has evolved into!
Here is some feedback:
Seeing that the Linux version is labeled "Currently in testing" i decided to use the SUMLauncher to install OG in my LinuxMint x64 OS. The download went fine, even though the speed was only about 20% of what i would get if i downloaded it with a web browser, and the remaining time estimation reminded me of the windows file copy dialog :P (regularly jumpgin back and forth from a few minutes to several days) ... i didn't care so, a couple of ours later the installation finished successfully. After doing the chown i tried to play but unfortunately the game segfaults on my system.
This week i did the update with SUMLauncher and everything worked fine once again. As a side note the button linking to the blog post of the update had a wrong link but i guess this is just a typo.
Since i am not a twittering guy i'm very thankful for the News tab of the SUMLauncher, very well done!
keep it up dudes, you're doing great!

Javafant

Post by Javafant » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:46 pm

Aaron wrote:
Javafant wrote:I noticed that SUMLauncher doesn't work properly on my archlinux pc using java7. The drop-down-menus close immediatly after I release my mouse button and I can't click any item in the menus. However with java6 everything works fine. It would be great if you could fix this because especially on linux many people are using java7. Also I noticed that I have to resize the window one time at the beginning after sumlauncher has loaded to see anything. So I guess the drawing event is not called at the beginning?
Edit:
I guess it's related to awesome wm which had some problems in the past with java applications. However all other java applications are working just fine. Are you using awt or swing for the gui?
I'm using Swing, everything pretty much standard - its unfortunate that Java support is having issues, I'm not sure what I could do about it though. All of the components I use in the UI are the standard Swing components.
I now verified that it's a bug in the current git version of Awesome WM and got it working for me. Thx for giving us such an awesome tool. Now I just have to wait until they fix this Segfault bug.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:23 am

Javafant wrote:I now verified that it's a bug in the current git version of Awesome WM and got it working for me. Thx for giving us such an awesome tool. Now I just have to wait until they fix this Segfault bug.
Glad to hear you got it resolved :)
confused wrote:The download went fine, even though the speed was only about 20% of what i would get if i downloaded it with a web browser, and the remaining time estimation reminded me of the windows file copy dialog :P (regularly jumpgin back and forth from a few minutes to several days) ...
Hm, are you sure that this is the case? It sounds like your connection may have been a bit spotty, which would have caused the low speed and jumpy estimates (I average the last 30 samples, one taken every half second). If so, maybe we could chat on IRC and try to figure out what's causing the issue.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

HairballPaul

Post by HairballPaul » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:23 am

bennyp wrote:Hey Anton, I've got flaky connection syndrome, check out this excerpt from my download log:

<snipped>
YUCK! each one of those lines means I had to click on the "yes" button when asked to retry the connection. Could you add an option to automatically retry when downloading updates? (This should only apply to menu mod and alpha updates, since if you applied this to the SUMLauncher update checker, the app would never start, it would get stuck in a loop trying to download sumlauncher updates)

Cheers
I've also got a flaky connection and I've seen far too much of this dialog. What's more, since there is a "cancel" button on the download screen there is literally *never* a time when you would want to press the "No" option on the retry dialog. It'd be a great improvement if the dialog was removed or otherwise worked around as you've mentioned.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:41 pm

SUMLauncher 2.1.3 Alpha is now available:

• Fixed 'Selected Overgrowth Installation' button on Mac displaying package contents.
• Added option to SUM preferences to allow the user to choose the number of automatic retries that will be performed before displaying an alert.
• Fixed bug where Mac menus could leave hanging object references, allowing multiple windows to be open at once.
You can grab the new version by running the SUMLauncher and choosing to update when prompted (new users can find downloads in the first post).

With this update, you may now customize the number of connection retires that the SUMLauncher will perform before notifying you of a connection issue - this setting is set in the Preferences, as seen here:

12sea21

Re: [Auto Updater] SUMLauncher - 2.1.3

Post by 12sea21 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:44 pm

Hey guys, could you make an option to download new maps?
I was wondering how the menu mod worked, and how it updated the maps.
I thought "I don't want to update the mod every time I want to check for you maps".
If this is already implemented, could you share some info on the mechanics? (I am interested).

Thank you, and a great program you have there.

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:59 pm

12sea21 wrote:Hey guys, could you make an option to download new maps?
I was wondering how the menu mod worked, and how it updated the maps.
I thought "I don't want to update the mod every time I want to check for you maps".
If this is already implemented, could you share some info on the mechanics? (I am interested).

Thank you, and a great program you have there.
Hey! The mod will only download new content when you run it (though due to the way it is currently written, it must check each file against the server). We're working on having a better solution :)

bennyp

Post by bennyp » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:41 am

Thanks For adding my feature. Ten points

nilobject

Post by nilobject » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:53 am

Hey Aaron, Great launcher!!
Does SumLauncher seed the torrents after downloading?
I'm using this on Linux and would like to seed because the pool is often small. Or can I download the torrent file from SumLauncher , so I can open with my bt client?

Thanks!

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:01 am

nilobject wrote:Hey Aaron, Great launcher!!
Does SumLauncher seed the torrents after downloading?
I'm using this on Linux and would like to seed because the pool is often small. Or can I download the torrent file from SumLauncher , so I can open with my bt client?

Thanks!
The launcher does not use torrents at all, so it does not seed them. It currently only uses the direct download mirror provided by the devs.

QwertyTSecond

Post by QwertyTSecond » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:05 am

I'm having some problems getting this running on Ubuntu 10.04. I download the zipped .jar file to desktop and extract it fine, run it with java and set it to install in my home directory, which is also where lugaru is located, so I assume it's the right place.
I'm asked to download overgrowth, which works fine, but when the .sh file is downloaded, I get this message, titled "command":

gnome-terminal -e sh '/home/chris/Wolfire/Overgrowth/overgrowth-a188-linux.sh' --keep

Pressing OK closes the window, and the installer "checks MD5". Once that's reached 100%, the whole thing closes, and nothing else happens.
Typing the above command into the terminal manually returns the message:

Failed to parse arguments: Unknown option --keep

I've done chmod +X, and I also find I can't run the file via terminal. What am I doing wrong?

Fawn

Post by Fawn » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi guys,

I might be an exception, but I chose to run Overgrowth fullscreen the first time. (on my Ubuntu 12.04 installation)
Apparently, the first time the game runs, it asks for permission to submit error data to the database.
If you run full-screen, you will not notice this dialog, but the game will appear to freeze.

Not sure if this is general or SUMLauncher related, the latter seemed the most obvious option, but if this is the wrong topic, I'll move it.