Silence Custom Stealth/Speedrun Map (Current Record 1:25)

Jacktheawesome

Silence Custom Stealth/Speedrun Map (Current Record 1:25)

Post by Jacktheawesome » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:10 am

Hey guys! Been a while. I was inspired by the talk on OGW today about these speedrun-oriented maps, so I decided to make my reentrance with one of my own. I now present to you:

Silence
Screen shot 2012-01-15 at 8.30.27 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-01-15 at 8.29.11 PM.png
So in this map, the purpose is to kill all of the enemies, while moving linearly through the level. There is a tiny bit of Parkour (most of it optional), but the path should be pretty clear. I toyed with the idea of including weapons, but I decided against it, given that I want to put stress on the choke-hold move. There are upwards of five enemies on this level, so if you have a slow computer it may not run excellently, but it seems like a good number of you have no problem with that many NPCs.
After moseying through the level (running it at 5 FPS) I found myself with a time of 3:46, a time that should be not at all hard to beat. The level on a whole is not vey difficult, as all but one of the enemies can be taken out with the choke. However, running and gunning may be quicker, so you'll have to balance speed and stealth.

Rules:
Leg-Cannon prohibited
Picture of endtext required for authentication of level time; full video earns you internet points.

Download
http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads/silence.xml.zip
Data>Levels
Make sure you have your skyboxes (this level's skybox is esostars2.tga)
http://ogmods.antonriehl.com/downloads/ ... yboxes.zip
Data>Textures>Skies
Links courtesy of Anton Riehl

Have fun :)

Leaderboard

1. 1:25 - Rubiks
2. 1:40 - Silverfish
3. 3:46 - Jacktheawesome
Last edited by Jacktheawesome on Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Silverfish

Re: Silence Custom Stealth/Speedrun Map

Post by Silverfish » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:12 am

I need to do this quickly before the pros arrive!!! :o

EDIT 1:
It seems like there actually are 9 enemies on the level, not 5. 9 characters is too much for most people's computers, I had to record it at 20 instead of 30 FPS, and it still didn't run very smoothly! The level is general was pretty cool though, I hope to see some more speedruns of this level!

I got a time of 2m 1s, and the video should be up for viewing soon.

EDIT 2:
Oh man it didn't record the sound!!
I double checked it afterwards and it made sound in the next video... :(
I'm going to have to redo this.

EDIT 3:

Ok here we go! 1m 40s.
Managed to do it at 30FPS after all, I guess my computer decided to cooperate suddenly...

EDIT 4:
Moved to Modding subforum.

Horridius

Post by Horridius » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:25 am

Nice map Jack I love these speedruns. I might make an attempt at breaking the record after I played around with the weapon throwing and made some homework.
Silverfish wrote: EDIT 4:
I always wondered why the new map posts should be in the modding forum. After all the sandbox editor isn't really modding and making a map isn't making a mod. Shouldn't it be better if map posts were allowed in the general SPF. More people would try out our maps then.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:04 am

I personally think it's easier to have them separate. The idea was that we would separate discussions and questions about the game from custom levels, mods, modding questions etc.

I do think that the Modding subforum should be renamed to "Levels & Mods" or something similar since like you say, a level isn't a mod.

If we started mixing game discussion with mapping again I would be sad because it'd be harder for me to find custom levels. And that is something that the modding subforum is really great for, you can go in there and you know there will be only custom levels and mods. So you won't have to search through lots of discussions on topics you might not find interesting to find what you're looking for.

Horridius

Post by Horridius » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:21 am

Hmm yeah but maybe this forum should be renamed to modding and customs maps.

Also on another topic, there is something really weird with my map. When I load a map under the name Suspension2.xml everything is fine. When I copy the Suspension2.xml file and rename it to Susp2.xml and then load Susp2.xml I get the outdated version like in the OGweekly.

Then when I remove the Suspension2.xml file out of the levels folder and then load Suspension2.xml ingame it stills works and loads the correct version. :shock:

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:28 am

Horridius wrote:Hmm yeah but maybe this forum should be renamed to modding and customs maps.

Also on another topic, there is something really weird with my map. When I load a map under the name Suspension2.xml everything is fine. When I copy the Suspension2.xml file and rename it to Susp2.xml and then load Susp2.xml I get the outdated version like in the OGweekly.

Then when I remove the Suspension2.xml file out of the levels folder and then load Suspension2.xml ingame it stills works and loads the correct version. :shock:
Check to see if it was saved in your local cache, instead of in game... We have discovered that SUM launcher has caused levels to save in a different location that launching the game normally... we are working on that...
If you're on windows, check to see if you have Suspension2.xml located at My Documents/Wolfire/Overgrowth/Data/Levels - I would love to play the completed version.

EDIT: Alternatively, if that is where you have been checking, check inside the Applications data folder... It will be in one of those two spots.

(I'll mention to Jeff about changing the name of the subforum... "Modding and Mapping" makes sense to me... but we'll see what they think...

Horridius

Post by Horridius » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:38 am

Where is this application data folder?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:47 am

Horridius wrote:Where is this application data folder?
That would be the folder where Overgrowth is actually installed. For most windows users that would be at: C:/Program Files (x86)/Wolfire/Overgrowth/Data

Horridius

Post by Horridius » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:09 pm

Do you mean the C:/Program Files (x86)/Wolfire/Overgrowth/Data/Levels folder ? I can't seem to find what you mean :s. But the map must be somewhere.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:39 pm

Horridius wrote:Do you mean the C:/Program Files (x86)/Wolfire/Overgrowth/Data/Levels folder ? I can't seem to find what you mean :s. But the map must be somewhere.
Yes, it should either be there or the one in my documents... but you definitely have two copies somewhere.

Horridius

Post by Horridius » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:57 pm

Anton wrote:
Horridius wrote:Do you mean the C:/Program Files (x86)/Wolfire/Overgrowth/Data/Levels folder ? I can't seem to find what you mean :s. But the map must be somewhere.
Yes, it should either be there or the one in my documents... but you definitely have two copies somewhere.
I'm gonna find it out sometime, but the levels folder in program files is where I put all my maps. Even when there isn't a suspension2.xml file in the C:/Program Files (x86)/Wolfire/Overgrowth/Data/Levels location and in the documents location it still loads. It must be somewhere else.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:01 pm

Horridius wrote:
Anton wrote:
I'm gonna find it out sometime, but the levels folder in program files is where I put all my maps. Even when there isn't a suspension2.xml file in the C:/Program Files (x86)/Wolfire/Overgrowth/Data/Levels location and in the documents location it still loads. It must be somewhere else.
Right, so if it's not there, check MY DOCUMENTS/Wolfire/Overgrowth/Data/Levels and see if it's located there.

Roujin

Post by Roujin » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:39 pm

Anton wrote: (I'll mention to Jeff about changing the name of the subforum... "Modding and Mapping" makes sense to me... but we'll see what they think...

Why not have a new subforum called "Custom Maps"? Everyone wins: The ones who don't want to see mods mixed with maps, and the ones who don't want to see maps mixed with general discussion.

Horridius

Post by Horridius » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:48 pm

Checked documents already :s. I'll find it out sometime.

Conner36

Post by Conner36 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:45 am

Silverfish wrote:I need to do this quickly before the pros arrive!!! :o

EDIT 1:
It seems like there actually are 9 enemies on the level, not 5. 9 characters is too much for most people's computers, I had to record it at 20 instead of 30 FPS, and it still didn't run very smoothly! The level is general was pretty cool though, I hope to see some more speedruns of this level!

I got a time of 2m 1s, and the video should be up for viewing soon.

EDIT 2:
Oh man it didn't record the sound!!
I double checked it afterwards and it made sound in the next video... :(
I'm going to have to redo this.

EDIT 3:

Ok here we go! 1m 40s.
Managed to do it at 30FPS after all, I guess my computer decided to cooperate suddenly...

EDIT 4:
Lol way to kick rabbit ass...

Will there be a leader board API in OG so that people can see the best times/scores in various mods?