Overgrowth MMO

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
shyisc

Re: Overgrowth MMO

Post by shyisc » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:33 pm

Horridius wrote:Can't stop repeating this, it's not we don't like the idea. It just isn't possible in Overgrowth. People seem to think the computers of today would be able to handle such a game. The AAA-titles we see today might seem fancy but they are mostly fancy textures and shaders. The combat and physics in games hasn't changed much the latest years and these aspects can require alot of computer powers.
I realize that, but there are also people who don't like my idea. Some misunderstand what it is, some think that the final product will be different from my vision, and some think the game I describe just won't be any fun.
Endoperez wrote:
shyisc wrote:That's a completely different type of multiplayer than what I describe, and a feature that will be included in Overgrowth (the developers already said there will be multiplayer).
That is a different form of multiplayer, but I haven't heard anything about it certainly being in Overgrowth. The type of multiplayer the developers have mentioned most is co-op - which doesn't require servers or lobbies.
I think that in a game like Overgrowth if you talk about multiplayer, even if all you mention is co-op, then you imply PvP as well. And I'm not sure, but I think they mentioned PvP.

mphasis

Post by mphasis » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:07 am

You have some good ideas, but:
* OG will never support lots of players.
* Wolfire won't make an MMO.
So let go of those ideas.

Let's consider 12 players (NPC and Human) in a game. This is around the average number of players in a sports game and more than any human can readily keep track of at any one time. Normally you focus solely on the player you are controlling and who you can interact with opposing players and players you can work with(which often isn't more than 2 or 3).

12 players in a level, over multiple levels, doesn't restrict you from doing anything you listed.

Even consider 6 players, a more realistic number, this is around the average number of actors in a small theatre troupe. It sits within 7 +/- 2 (the average number of things a person can remember) and allows for detailed interaction and history between all players.

Why not focus on the stories of a few players in a world full of interesting choices, rather than make OG something it isn't or wish for something that will never happen?
Why not persist parts of levels and statistics (with scripts or modifying the level files) so characters can leave a mark and it still be there when they come back?

If you would like to see this, then make it as a mod.

Karel

Post by Karel » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:59 am

A MMO ... really guys?

Let's already see if they manage to make it possible to host/join multiplayer games on the Internet ... which sounds already incredibly hard for a game like that. An Overgrowth MMO ... rofl. You expect an indie team to handle that? Do you realize what kind of servers you would need for that purpose? Even a studio who haves shitloads of money would probably fail on that - making a MMO that doesn't work is also probably the easiest way to fuck your studio.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:17 am

shyisc wrote:I think that in a game like Overgrowth if you talk about multiplayer, even if all you mention is co-op, then you imply PvP as well. And I'm not sure, but I think they mentioned PvP.
The only PvP I can remember right now is the PvP available in split-screen mode. Since that's not available over LAN or internet, it doesn't really count.

shyisc

Post by shyisc » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Endoperez wrote:
shyisc wrote:I think that in a game like Overgrowth if you talk about multiplayer, even if all you mention is co-op, then you imply PvP as well. And I'm not sure, but I think they mentioned PvP.
The only PvP I can remember right now is the PvP available in split-screen mode. Since that's not available over LAN or internet, it doesn't really count.
You realize that the game is still in development, that they said there will be multiplayer, and that split-screen multiplayer is all the have for now? In fact, what you just said is proof of what I said.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:13 pm

No, they've said that while they'd like to do multiplayer via LAN or internet, it isn't an ultra high priority and is prone to getting cut if anything needs to be later on. Overgrowth is a single player, story driven game, so that's a priority. Multiplayer would be an extra bonus that is not actually the driving force behind Overgrowth.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:19 am

shyisc wrote:You realize that the game is still in development, that they said there will be multiplayer, and that split-screen multiplayer is all the have for now? In fact, what you just said is proof of what I said.
That's what you say. Where have the developers said that? I have been around here for a while, and most multiplayer-related comments are similar to this:

http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/02/overgrowth-faq/#q7
Our primary focus will be adding some co-operative, multiplayer elements. We're not sure yet how many players can be supported at the same time but initial multiplayer tests have been successful.

Yes, they do not mention anything about the PVP. However, that doesn't mean they left it unsaid because it's automatically implied. To me, at least, it seems like they try to avoid making promises about things they might not implement. That is just a personal opinion, but the things you've said so far haven't given me reason to change my opinion.