Tackle

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
ludosrex

Tackle

Post by ludosrex » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:48 pm

Is anyone else interested in seeing a running tackle?

NoSkillz

Re: Tackle

Post by NoSkillz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:09 pm

It was one of my favorite things from Lugaru.

Showbiz

Post by Showbiz » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Tackling sounds awesome.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:51 pm

Tackling + Brutal Grappling/Wrestling = Broken Bones?
Wnat Daivud. Doo ut plz

Crafekster

Post by Crafekster » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:49 pm

Ofcours we would want to see tackle implemented. But not in that Laguru way, i mean. That was hard to navigate and hit with (In my oppinion). And it did not do me much other than a start advantage. Rather jump in on them here in OverGrowth.

Penaloza1337

Post by Penaloza1337 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:15 am

Tackle can be good, But when you miss. You go to ragdoll form. And no? Then you take them and they go in ragdoll form!

Extra : Tackle them and stab!

SilentSouth

Post by SilentSouth » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:45 pm

I would love to see this added

Jazzmutant

Post by Jazzmutant » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:27 pm

Should be kept the same as Lugaru's. We've already got the roundhouse kick.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:59 am

So I actually disagree with adding the Lugaru tackle. At least with the same mechanics.

From a gameplay point of view it adds very little we don't already have. The core mechanic as before was to stop enemies from running or getting a jump on them. Both of these can already be accomplished via the leg cannon and the choke hold.

Adding the tackle to "defeat" running away leads to quick-time event gameplay (enemy runs, so the player must hit the right button combo to get into a running tackle). It doesn't build off current fighting mechanics, and ultimately leads to shallow gameplay.

Sure it looks cool, but I would rather have a small strong set of flexible verbs and actions than a bunch of situational ones.

Edit: Just realized I haven't posted since John shaved the beard. RIP

Horridius

Post by Horridius » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:22 am

TheBigCheese wrote:From a gameplay point of view it adds very little we don't already have. The core mechanic as before was to stop enemies from running or getting a jump on them. Both of these can already be accomplished via the leg cannon and the choke hold.
I strongly disagree, when I play Overgrowth and the enemies start running away for help, it always feels like the tackle is missing. Yes you can do it with leg cannon but it's very clumsy and it can fail. Also not possible if you can't jump in a straight line to your target. Choke hold only works if they haven't seen you if I'm correct.

Also we need to be able to run on all fours to get to a running target fast.

amazingmaximo

Post by amazingmaximo » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:29 am

I agree that it feels missing in Overgrowth, but maybe you guys forgot, you had to rabbit run to do it, which also isn't implemented yet.
I think probably everything we had in lugaru will come back piece by piece.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:31 pm

Horridius wrote:I strongly disagree, when I play Overgrowth and the enemies start running away for help, it always feels like the tackle is missing. Yes you can do it with leg cannon but it's very clumsy and it can fail. Also not possible if you can't jump in a straight line to your target. Choke hold only works if they haven't seen you if I'm correct.
I don't disagree the leg cannon is a poor solution at the moment. However, I would rather find a more elegant solution than a animal-run-tackle. Perhaps holding right-click in the air would trigger a air-to-ground grab/choke on enemies that are unaware (or running).

I don't necessarily have a problem with tackling, just with the idea of adding additional actions (such as animal run) that serve little to further the gameplay. Simplicity is key.

Jazzmutant

Post by Jazzmutant » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:27 pm

I stand by my "keep it the same as Lugaru's" position. Concerning what amazingmaximo said, I'm sure everything we had in Lugaru will come 'round full circle, eventually. Additional functions (specifically the beast run) are not at all detrimental to gameplay, and in fact add character to the playing field.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:05 pm

As for keeping it the same as Lugaru, I would argue that Overgrowth is already far different (in a good way). The Block/Dodge system of OG is already vastly more fluid and interesting than the original countering system of Lugaru.

Just because Lugaru was an amazing game doesn't mean David can't take what he learned and improve upon it.

As a general rule of game design, however, adding more actions just serves to make the game more confusing for new players. Why add more functionality when the same action can be done with the current set of moves (or very small modifications). If you look at strong Indie games, they usually have a core set of actions that the game is built around.

Braid: Move, Jump, Rewind Time, World-Specific Action
Bastion: Move, Dodge, Shoot, Special
World Of Goo: Connect, Grab, Throw

I'm not sure if you've played Bastion, but what if a "Run" key was added to allow you to move faster. Sure it would add functionality, but it wouldn't have added any depth: players would just hold the run key all the time! It would have ended up being an annoyance.

The beast run is similar. Unless it truly builds off other actions in innovative ways, what does it really add that can't be accomplished more elegantly?

Jazzmutant

Post by Jazzmutant » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:30 pm

Of course, not everything in Lugaru has to be implemented into Overgrowth in the exact same way, but the fact that Overgrowth is Lugaru's successor and we still have Turner as our Player Character kind of gives an expectation to some people that we will see the same techniques Turner used in the previous game.

An overgrowth fight will contain most (if not all) of the following: Punch/Kick, Roundhouse Kick, Sweep Kick, Leg Cannon, Slash, Throw, Duck, Dodge, Block/Counter, Reversal, Roll

The Fighting Mechanics are already fairly complex. And now that I've beat this punk-ass bunny down while mashing W/A/S/D/Shift/Space/LMB/RMB (actually I've learned to time my blocks accordingly now=less mashing) he's going to run away and get his bunny friend to effectively end my career as a ninja-rabbit. And there's not a damn thing I can do about it save a hail-mary leg cannon with a prayer I don't break my neck.

I'm all for a different approach to it, like if you could pounce on an enemy as you dropped in on them. That would be awesome. But I really want to see some of the old moves in Overgrowth.

But I think we would all like an effective way to incapacitate an enemy when he's on his last leg (obviously, he's running to get help!) other than the leg cannon because it's too risky as of now. Again, if they implement it in another way besides the beastrun->tackle method, that's fine, I just want some sort of tackle.

I have never played Bastion.

Furthermore, I think that full 3D environments command a bit more complexity because it is natural for the player to want a variety of ways to interact with the open world. The game Evechron Mercenary has a plethora of controls, and often are used only in specific circumstances. It can be daunting. But I'm in a friggin space ship! Of course there would be a large control panel if I'm operating this thing. I need all these controls to efficiently maneuver my craft and interact with the universe.