OG Crashing on my Macbook

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
jakelly14

OG Crashing on my Macbook

Post by jakelly14 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:21 am

Im kinda new to pc gaming so i dont know a lot about graphics cards and the like, so im hoping you can help me :) . At the moment im on a fairly old macbook but i do have a stronger pc laptop but the screens bust and until i buy a monitor and turn it into a desktop pc im stuck on this.

I finished downloading overgrowth this morning and after I unzipped it I opened it up. the main title screen popped up nice and quick so i picked a map at random. after a bit of loading time a mash sky and ground textures appeared and every few seconds theres a burst of sound and music...after a while everything froze up so i couldn't move my mouse and the bursts of sound became more regular....after a bit of waiting i just hit the power button and restarted... i tried again on a different map but the same thing happened again.

Im guessing its just that this pc is too old and slow but is there anything I can do? thanks!!!! :P

Johannes

Re: OG Crashing on my Macbook

Post by Johannes » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:10 am

Hiya, welcome to the forums!

Yeah, the older MacBooks have really underpowered graphics cards, and at this stage of development the game doesn't support low-end computers very well yet.

Once overgrowth is in beta and has been more optimized for low-end systems it should run much better, but for now it's unlikely that you can do much other than wait for beta or get a better computer. Sorry about that.

There are some minor things you can try, but I really doubt that they'll make a significant difference:
  • Set the 'texture_reduce' value in config.txt to something like 4 or higher. (as is described here: http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/How_t ... figuration)
  • Play the game in a smaller window (also changed in config.txt)
  • Install the latest version of the mac OS if you haven't already.

jakelly14

Post by jakelly14 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:40 am

Hey! thanks ill guess ill just wait till i get a monitor for my other pc...right now its plugged into the family tv which isn't great for the rest of the family :D

thanks for the suggestions though!!

MagnusM1

Post by MagnusM1 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:51 pm

Just a tip, if you want to use your PC for gaming,
never,
ever,
buy a mac.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:52 pm

MagnusM1 wrote:Just a tip, if you want to use your PC for gaming,
never,
ever,
buy a mac.
Not sure that's entirely fair, I work as a developer on a mac, as do plenty of people here on the forums, not to mention that the wolfire devs think it's worth putting the time into making a mac build for the game.

Sure any hardcore gamer will want a custom-built windows machine, but that wasn't really the question =)

jakelly14

Post by jakelly14 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:12 pm

my mac isnt for big games, its just my normal laptop, i have a another windows laptop thats more powerful but the screens broken and until i buy a monitor, and turn it into a desktop pc its dead. I was really excited about overgrowth so i thought id at least try it on my mac.

also, theres now way ill find the money for a proper pc to run games on!