Download Receiver for free! (7-day FPS game)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
akazi

Re: Please help us test Receiver (7-day FPS game)

Post by akazi » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:18 pm

So, what happened to the rolling turrets?

namesd

Post by namesd » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:36 pm

amd 6400+ dual core
nvidia 9800gtx+
4gb ram

works great, and might I say that you guys are the best dev team ever!

Lord_Honk

Post by Lord_Honk » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:49 pm

LoTekK wrote: One thing I haven't figured out is how to do a press check (effectively holding a half-cock in order to ascertain if a round is currently chambered). Is it currently possible to do this?
Hold T, then press R. You can see the tooltip in the advanced help while aiming.
LoTekK wrote: Oh, one oddity I noticed was that if you start the game with your slide locked open, attempting to rack the slide ejects a round. Clearly this shouldn't be happening.
If there's a round in the chamber, fully racking the slide will indeed eject the round, there's nothing wrong with that IMHO. If the gun starts empty (i.e. no round in the chamber) and with a locked slide then racking it will not eject a round.

Kugzly

Re: Download Receiver for free! (7-day FPS game)

Post by Kugzly » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Awesome game! Played for half and hour or so, but ran into the bugs people have already mentioned.

I'll play again after a patch, but considering you did this in 7 days is, well, amazing.

Makes me proud to know my money has been given to geniuses. :wink:

LoTekK

Post by LoTekK » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:55 pm

Lord_Honk wrote: Hold T, then press R. You can see the tooltip in the advanced help while aiming.
Ah, thanks! Missed the advanced help bit somehow. And decocking! Excellent :)
Lord_Honk wrote: If there's a round in the chamber, fully racking the slide will indeed eject the round, there's nothing wrong with that IMHO. If the gun starts empty (i.e. no round in the chamber) and with a locked slide then racking it will not eject a round.
Well that's the oddity I was pointing out. There are situations where you'll have a round in the chamber while your slide is locked open (as outlined in my previous post). In those cases, there shouldn't be a chambered round, and even if there was, attempting to rack an open slide shouldn't eject the round (in the game, however, the round gets ejected).

edeetee

Post by edeetee » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:18 pm

http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/06/fina ... linux.html
You will be able to get Unity on linux soon. :D

Karhs

Post by Karhs » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:32 pm

A mouse sensitivity slider would be an excellent addition. The turning is just far more sluggish than I'm used to. Now I just need to keep practicing until I can operate the gun without the help menu open. I thought I had it figured out until I tried to shoot at a taser drone a few feet from my face and nothing came out of the gun. Heheh.

Also, on my last run not only did I get three tapes before seeing an enemy, with two of them in the same room, I got the tape about the mind/body connection and the levels of reality. Don't want to spoil the big part of it, but it was pretty thought-inducing.

kotakotakota

Post by kotakotakota » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:48 pm

Karhs wrote:A mouse sensitivity slider would be an excellent addition. The turning is just far more sluggish than I'm used to. Now I just need to keep practicing until I can operate the gun without the help menu open. I thought I had it figured out until I tried to shoot at a taser drone a few feet from my face and nothing came out of the gun. Heheh.

Also, on my last run not only did I get three tapes before seeing an enemy, with two of them in the same room, I got the tape about the mind/body connection and the levels of reality. Don't want to spoil the big part of it, but it was pretty thought-inducing.
While we're talking about the mouse, is there any chance you can work out a solution to get Wine support under Linux for the mouse? One of the other members gave a link to that solution with Unity earlier, and though I know Unity is coming out for Linux, that's still a couple months in the future.

Kudoku

Post by Kudoku » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:52 pm

Had a lot of fun from what I played, here's a couple of my gripes:

-Sometimes checking the chamber ejects a round.
-As noted many times, there is a certain section where you fall through the ground.
-Getting stuck on geometry is also annoying. Worst offenders are pipes that pin you to a wall, and sometimes stairs.
-A way to adjust music/sfx volume would be nice.
-Room generation leads to some unwanted deaths due to lag.
-Related to above, performance is an issue. It leads to a lot of deaths and frustration with aiming.
-The gun is a little too "drifty" in my opinion, it should stay a little closer to the center of the screen.
-An option to insert a round manually into the chamber would help. It's annoying to have to load a full mag, rack the slide, eject the mag, load one more bullet in, and then re-insert the mag.

A couple more detailed complaints:
-The sight picture really bothers me because I'm not sure where to aim. The tops of the front and rear sights should be aligned. I understand that the Receivers may not have experience with firearms, but the player should at least be able to know where his gun is aiming (not necessarily where his bullets will go, though)

-Another common complaint:the flying enemy really needs some sort of nerf. I understand this game is supposed to be difficult, but they fly too fast to run away from, see everything including things way above them, and it's a crapshoot whether or not you'll be able to hit a vital component when one is chasing you.
Suggestions for fix: Limited charge on its "zapper", more fragile, smaller field of view, slower/clumsier maneuvering.

-Running out of ammo basically means you're dead unless you find more where you can get it without running into a killbot. This makes sense since it's punishing the player for not conserving ammunition, but a backup option such as being able to knock over the turrets would be a good backup strategy. This also raises the point of possibly allowing an aggressive playstyle which might consist of running over to turrets and knocking them down, and just plain outrunning the flying bots.

BoutchooQc

Post by BoutchooQc » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Only 70Mb??? Holy sh*t! Team Wolfire, this is amazing. Great job :)

The DooD

Post by The DooD » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:11 pm

Oh wow this game is really cool! I wonder if it would be as good if the weapon were something else. Like a shotgun where you could load shells directly into the breach, if you had different shells and different things needed to be shot at with different shells. Or a revolver (russian roulette simulator?). Anyway that's off-topic.

Pretty much the only bugs I encountered was that it seemed to be a specific room where you would fall through the floor. I can't really describe which room it is, but you walk into the room and you sink down as if you were crouching, and then if you keep walking into the room some more you fall through the floor.

Something else I might add, the turret bot seems fine, but holy carp the flying turrets are hell. I would say they are way to fast, if there is more than 1 or 2 in a room it seems like you might get one, but the others can just strafe you really easily, especially when it only takes one hit to kill you. Other than that, the balance seems really good, I love how hitting different points has different effects. The bullet ricochet is really nice, but I haven't seen any meaningful effect from it (not that there needs to be). Would be hilarious if you could kill yourself with ricocheting bullets though.

Sordid Dreams

Post by Sordid Dreams » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:19 pm

I think being able to knock turrets over would make them far too easy. They're pretty much a non-threat even now if you're paying attention. Perhaps their model could be adjusted to show them bolted to the floor to justify the fact that you can't knock them over?

I agree that the fliers need a nerf, though I wouldn't favor making them more fragile or slower. With a bit of practice they're not difficult to dispatch, the main danger IMO comes from the fact that they're sneaky. They're way too quiet, sometimes I walk into a room and get zapped from behind by a flier that was hovering above the door where I couldn't see it or hear it. Making them slightly louder would IMO be quite enough to make them challenging without being frustrating. This goes hand in hand with volume controls that I mentioned earlier. IMO the music is way too loud, to the point that it drowns out the already too faint sound of the fliers' propellers.

Also, how big is the world? Does anyone know? Is it limited somehow or does the game just keep generating more as you go? Are the tapes in fixed places or does the game place them around you dynamically? Like if you move too far away from an existing tape it disappears and appears somewhere else near you? The world seems fairly large, looking for that one last tape that you missed somewhere a dozen rooms back could get very frustrating indeed.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:23 pm

I just posted a new release that should fix the problem with falling through the floor:

Mac download:

Windows download:

Edit: Rolling this back for now due to invisible bullets!

Sordid Dreams

Post by Sordid Dreams » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:35 pm

Bullets don't show up for me in RC3. Can't see them in the top left corner of the screen, in the magazine, or on the ground.

adwuga

Post by adwuga » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:43 pm

Any plans to optimize it? My laptop can play overgrowth and handle 5 - 30 NPCs, depending on wether or not they are fighting, and what I've set the graphics to, but Receiver(which is really cool, I spent a good hour getting killed and having a great time doing it) lags sometimes even on the lowest settings.

My review: For a survival shooter game, these complex gun mechanics are perfect. It's awesome. Come to think of it, these gun mechanics would make for a really cool squad based tactical shooter. Things like providing cover fire would actually be necessary. I think I should learn to make games, and then do that, though it will probably take about 56 years.