Download Receiver for free! (7-day FPS game)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
SafariSam

Re: Download Receiver for free! (7-day FPS game)

Post by SafariSam » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:37 pm

Slimjim speaks truth. Some sort of survival horror would be amazing with these mechanics. Possibly a zombie apocalypse simulator, allowing you to shoot kneecaps to force zombies to crawl or something similar.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:41 pm

Gonna try this new build out =)

David, you should be updating the first post with new builds, would make thing easier to find at least =p

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:42 pm

SafariSam wrote:Slimjim speaks truth. Some sort of survival horror would be amazing with these mechanics. Possibly a zombie apocalypse simulator, allowing you to shoot kneecaps to force zombies to crawl or something similar.
So, the question now becomes... how hard is it to mod a unity game like this one? We know that David and Aubrey will be focusing on Overgrowth full time, but maybe some of these alternate stories/guns/levels could be modded instead.

nihilocrat

Post by nihilocrat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Modding Unity games is unfortunately not really possible unless the original creator intentionally put in functionality for it. I have researched this for my own games and I'm bummed that you basically need to load all your resources completely separately from Unity to be able to really support modding. It's possible, but you are basically rewriting a significant portion of things that Unity gives you for "free". On the plus side, Unity does not come with save-game or serialization features, so you have to write your own anyways. Some of my games have data supplied through JSON files, which I load directly from file (not through a Unity asset) anyways, so there's nothing stopping modders from adjusting values in them.

I wonder if there's someone clever who has made a third-party utility to open and modify the Unity resource files or asset bundles. This would make it a lot easier to mod, because then at the very least you could replace assets that the creator loads a certain way.

bgr

Post by bgr » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:01 pm

Sadly I didn't notice that flying drones have gotten any louder in new build, at least they're not louder than my GPU fan :mrgreen:

I agree that first post should be updated with new builds.

dsi1

Post by dsi1 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:06 pm

Just had my best playthrough yet, 5 tapes and over half an hour of sheer terror/adrenaline. Starting with one quarter filled mag I ended up with at least 2 full reloads, after sprinting past at least 7 turrets with only one round in the chamber...

I think I finally figured out the damn flying drones too... (spoiler tags don't work?). I got to experiment with one after firing half a mag at it and running dry, hit the camera at some point and it bumped harmlessly into me :lol:

It'd be awesome if the game had some sort of tracking system that would show you a map where you went, what you grabbed/missed, shots fired, etc after your death.

purple_pixie

Post by purple_pixie » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:27 pm

So wait, where's the button in this FPS to invert my mouse?

Do I seriously have to hack mouse inverting at the driver level? :shock:

I mean, it looks like a world of awesome, but having to screw around inverting my mouse with external software is a serious pain in the ass ...

On a vaguely related note of your default settings not meshing with my own preferences, the not-quite-latest builds of Overgrowth have had the F-key hard bound to activate that script that fires crazy energy at everything close to you. And I use F as my Move Right key ... which kinda makes fighting a hilarious non-event. Any way to disable that?

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:30 pm

I think one of the biggest problems for me is that the ironsights aren't even lined up correctly, it's almost like playing Stalker. The front post should be lined up with the rear posts.

This is what the sights are like right now

This is what it should be like.

Unless you're going to implement adjusting the sights I'd like this fixed. I don't know where my bullets are going to hit because of this.

Also, does the slow-motion button even do anything? I was hoping to try it to see if the bullet trails will help my aim at all, but it doesn't do anything =<

r0cko

Post by r0cko » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:37 pm

Yeah, like someone else said, Human targets would be fun, and multiplayer... Both difficult to add I bet. :wink:

smurds

Post by smurds » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi,
I'm on a Mac 10.7.4 and I can't go into slowmo at all. I've tried the default buttons and tried to change it to other keys but it won't work. I've tried all versions I can find for Mac and for Windows.
Please help.
Thanks

Jeremyx66

Post by Jeremyx66 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:13 pm

I love the mechanics. Human targets would be awesome, if not incredibly difficult to create (and to fight). Scavenging weapons and such would be a blast on these mechanics. Loving how Overgrowth is turning out, but I would also like to see where this game can go.

Iwannagofast123

Post by Iwannagofast123 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:22 pm

since everyone is saying their feelings. I think this game should be like S.W.A.T 4 or something like terrorist hunt from Rainbow Six Vegas 2. It has way too much of that corridor exploration feel where something can be at every corner not too. I would love to see this game fleshed out and would definitely pay top dollar for a game like this. This is so close to the game i've been waiting to play for so long.

AbeTheMudukon

Post by AbeTheMudukon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:53 pm

My thoughts so far:
Very fun, different and intuitive.
Very steep learning curve to be able to reload quick enough incase your shots miss.
I understand the realism aspect, but health could be a bit higher; two hits from fliers to die instead of one. There could even be repercussions from getting shocked once but surviving, like slower movement or dropping your gun.

nihilocrat

Post by nihilocrat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:04 pm

I've played several hours now, I don't even think about operating the pistol anymore. I sometimes get really screwed over by the randomness, though. I have actually experienced starting the game with _no bullets_, and a few times with only one or two. Other times, I have started with close to _three whole mags_. I have also started the game once or twice directly in the view of a killbot or turret. Very rarely, only once or twice, there were three turrets practically on the same spot.

AgileWolf

Post by AgileWolf » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:14 pm

Ok I got the same falling through the floor, but my biggest problem is picking up ammo. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I think you're supposed to be holding an empty clip then pick up the ammo which I haven't tried, but when I pick up ammo it does the icons appearing in the top left corner then they disappear, am I supposed to press a key to put those bullets in a clip? the help doesn't say any keys to do so. I can't figure out how to find ammo other then what I start with :?
Anyways, great game, loved it.
*EDIT* Omg I figured it out RIGHT after posting this...you holster the weapon with ~ then put the bullets in the clip.... :roll: