Download Receiver for free! (7-day FPS game)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Vrav

Re: Download Receiver for free! (7-day FPS game)

Post by Vrav » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:00 pm

Leaning would fit perfectly in this game, but there are so many keys as it is... the most common leaning you see is "lean left" and "lean right" keys, but maybe there's a better alternative, like a modifier (alt perhaps) that causes movement buttons to lean you about, including upwards to peek over barriers if you're crouching or want to look over a ledge carefully. This worked in Riddick: Dark Athena rather well, if I'm not misremembering the game.

Edit: Reading bananaboy's post linked in the todo (link), I want to bring up something vague and dumb that would probably require an option to disable since I doubt most people would like it. In order to simulate "weight" in holding the gun, perhaps a small dot or miniscule gradient in the lower right corner, or around the gun, or anywhere near the bottom center of the screen, could represent the heft of the item you're carrying, and change colour or opacity as the gun is loaded and unloaded (via bullets fired or magazine removed). This is a cheesy and experimental idea, and would definitely require some testing, but if it's detectable in the periphery... one could feasibly represent weight in such an abstract way. Maybe it'd be too abstract to make sense.

For example, in the lower right corner of the screen, taking up maybe 15% horizontal width and 10% vertical height of the screen in pixels at full deficiency, a black vignetting gradient increasing in opacity / size as the object in one's right hand (a gun) becomes lighter. Your view becomes deficient because that's the sense we have to work with, but the idea is that your "right side" will feel at a disadvantage, ie the gun is feeling lighter. Though I don't actually know what difference the loss of bullets makes on the heft of a gun, so maybe it'd only make sense to have this sort of subtle graphic fade in when no magazine is inserted.
Last edited by Vrav on Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bennyp

Post by bennyp » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:04 pm

MacbookPro5,5 (GeForce 6500m) terrible framerates and too dark to play.

dsi1

Post by dsi1 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:20 pm

Vrav wrote:Leaning would fit perfectly in this game, but there are so many keys as it is... the most common leaning you see is "lean left" and "lean right" keys, but maybe there's a better alternative, like a modifier (alt perhaps) that causes movement buttons to lean you about, including upwards to peek over barriers if you're crouching or want to look over a ledge carefully. This worked in Riddick: Dark Athena rather well, if I'm not misremembering the game.

Edit: Reading bananaboy's post linked in the todo (link), I want to bring up something vague and dumb that would probably require an option to disable since I doubt most people would like it. In order to simulate "weight" in holding the gun, perhaps a small dot or miniscule gradient in the lower right corner, or around the gun, or anywhere near the bottom center of the screen, could represent the heft of the item you're carrying, and change colour or opacity as the gun is loaded and unloaded (via bullets fired or magazine removed). This is a cheesy and experimental idea, and would definitely require some testing, but if it's detectable in the periphery... one could feasibly represent weight in such an abstract way. Maybe it'd be too abstract to make sense.
Why does this need to be abstracted? It's logical that a gun with more bullets in it is heavier than a gun with less bullets in it, and thus harder to maneuver. "Is the difference noticeable?" is a better question.

Sordid Dreams

Post by Sordid Dreams » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:40 pm

dsi1 wrote:Why does this need to be abstracted? It's logical that a gun with more bullets in it is heavier than a gun with less bullets in it, and thus harder to maneuver. "Is the difference noticeable?" is a better question.
Yeah, I'd prefer if the gun actually felt heavier. I've said before that this game really reminds me of (the good aspects of) Trespasser in a lot of ways, and I think in this particular case it could take inspiration from it. Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oepl6lL6kK0&t=10m55s See how the gun doesn't remain lined up as he turns and moves? It actually has inertia and it takes a moment to line up the sights again. Trespasser has physics-based aiming, the arm constantly fights with inertia as it tries to bring the gun back into position. The heavier the gun the more inertia it has. With a simple handgun you can pivot around and shoot almost instantly, with a heavy rifle you have to take a moment to steady your aim. I think such a mechanic would be an excellent addition to Receiver.

Unwoundpath

Post by Unwoundpath » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:46 pm

HAHAHAHA!!!! Slow motion and god with unlimited ammo is SOOO much fun, no worries and dodging bullets! For some reason I can't take a picture of the game for now, so you will have to believe me.

EDIT: Image
If you want a slow motion pic of anything, just ask.

Mabec

Post by Mabec » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:59 pm

Love what you are doing with this, cant imagine what a month could have got us.
A little less confusing controlls and a story to go along, maybe even human enemies with some great ai and this would could have been something retail.

Well done.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:21 pm

Glabbit wrote:Youbastard, Ozy!
How long have you been back?
How long have you been lurking?

Also, welcome back.
Huh, am I famous or something?
I don't really come to the forums anymore, but I do follow the progress Wolfire is making through the blog and youtube.
Mostly I just lurk on Bay 12 these days.

YouKnow

Post by YouKnow » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:31 pm

I don't get the fascination with human enemies. I'd rather have more variations of easy to trick drones. My favorite way to take out the drones is to run up to them when they start looking the other way and shoot their camera point-blank. I can't imagine doing something like that against some sort of human enemy. My least favorite way to take the drones out is to pop out from behind cover and shoot them from a distance, which I imagine would be the most effective way to take down a human enemy.

Haxorknight

Post by Haxorknight » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:32 pm

If it's possible. I'd very much like a gamma slider. The game is almost way too dark to see anything half the time.

That or a flashlight.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:54 pm

Ozymandias wrote:
Glabbit wrote:Youbastard, Ozy!
How long have you been back?
How long have you been lurking?

Also, welcome back.
Huh, am I famous or something?
I don't really come to the forums anymore, but I do follow the progress Wolfire is making through the blog and youtube.
Mostly I just lurk on Bay 12 these days.
You say that every time I spot you again.
You don't remember our quarrels for squirrels, then?
Eh, I suppose I can't blame you for not being a constant regular. You never did bother with the silliness of the randomness forums very much, did you?
But I'm glad to have the confirmation that you're still with us in Lurk, at least.

purple_pixie

Post by purple_pixie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:26 pm

How many times does this need to be said?

If it is too dark, your monitor's gamma is off.
Not the game's, your screen's.

The game is perfectly bright enough, it's just a fairly dark world.
If you can't see, then fix your gorram screen because it isn't configured correctly.

The in-game gamma is perfectly fine, and games shouldn't *need* a gamma slider - why bother manually upping the gamma in every game you play so it looks right when you could just actually configure your monitor right and never have to worry.

Froggie

Post by Froggie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:57 pm

purple_pixie wrote:How many times does this need to be said?

If you can't see, then fix your gorram screen because it isn't configured correctly.

The in-game gamma is perfectly fine, and games shouldn't *need* a gamma slider - why bother manually upping the gamma in every game you play so it looks right when you could just actually configure your monitor right and never have to worry.
Games wouldn't need a gamma slider if there were exact restrictions as to what gamma settings games were allowed to use. This is not the case in todays market, and as different monitors are prefixed with different gamna default settings this only becomes more difficult.
Therefore there are gamma settings on monitors and in most games as well, so as to accommodate those that have very sensitive eyes as well as those that read monitors better when they're bright.

If I can see perfectly fine and I'm content with the gamma in any of the other hundred games and programs I have, except this particular one, then this one is not going to warrant me changing the gamma.

This is hypothetical, as I've found ways to navigate in the total darkness corridors and consider it part of the challenge, but I can see why people would want a slider. My taste is not that of every other person.

I'm quite sure that the mouse invertion is possible with a simple freeware application or even by going into the user settings themselves. It's just that these are nifty controls to have, because it makes the game less of a hassle to configure.

What I've noticed in the latest update (RC4) is that the turrets/drones don't seem to light up certain objects, and that they also seem to cast light through certain walls. I didn't notice this before, maybe it isn't a new occurrence. It's one of those things that makes a difference when the lights are a big part of the gameplay.

Sordid Dreams

Post by Sordid Dreams » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:18 pm

Froggie wrote:What I've noticed in the latest update (RC4) is that the turrets/drones don't seem to light up certain objects, and that they also seem to cast light through certain walls. I didn't notice this before, maybe it isn't a new occurrence. It's one of those things that makes a difference when the lights are a big part of the gameplay.
It isn't new, I've noticed that in RC2. It's just very infrequent, which makes it all the more frustrating when you walk straight in front of a turret's barrel because you couldn't see the light. I think it's the same thing as the sound problem, the lights should be more visible to make the enemies more easily noticeable. And they should also actually represent the drone's field of view, which they currently don't. The drone can see a lot more than is illuminated by its light. Many, many times I stepped out of cover as soon as the light passed only for the drone to turn right around and go "gotcha, sucker!" Turrets suffer from this as well, but to a lesser degree.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:39 pm

purple_pixie wrote:How many times does this need to be said?

Unless you use an operating system/hardware that uses a different gamma setting. The gamma for Macs until fairly recently was decoded at 1.8 (versus Windows at 2.2) and so for a very long time, anything created in Windows often looked darker on a Mac. Even though Apple has changed their settings in the last two operating systems, some older hardware may still show up darker.

OzymandiasLlewellyn

Post by OzymandiasLlewellyn » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:51 pm

motoko_k wrote:For fun, I typed some cheat codes from an old game, I played a lot, when I was young. An then I thought "wtf?!". They worked. X-D

Cheatcodes for Immortality and Full Ammo. Nice Idea, David! But I didn't get the cheat for Slow-Motion. :-) Still trying... :-P

I don't know, if it's allowed to post the codes, so I do not post them. :-/ Sorry. But here is a tip: The Codes are from an old FPS released 1993. Hope I didn't tell to much. ;-)

Sorry for my bad english, I'm from Germany and my english is not very well.
Thats hillarious, I read what you typed and I knew instantly which cheat codes you were talking about. Also wasn't it banned in Germany because of the Nazi refrences? Anyway, thanks for the tip.

PS: Codes are IDKFA, IDDQD, and SLOMO
Last edited by OzymandiasLlewellyn on Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.