Download Receiver for free! (7-day FPS game)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
iWork925

Re: Please help us test Receiver (7-day FPS game)

Post by iWork925 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:50 am

rollercoaster wrote:I just picked up a few bullets, and it showed me that I have many more, non of them are in my magazins though, is there any way to refill my mags? so far neither random button pushing, nor the help function has given me any clues
1) Remove magazine. (E)
2) Holster weapon. (~)
3) Push bullets into magazine. (Z)
4) Unholster weapon. (~)
5) Insert Magazine. (Z)
6) Put bullet into chamber if nessesary. (R)

What I can't figure out is why I sometimes spawn with NO ammo!

Tottel

Post by Tottel » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:04 am

The more I play it and get used to the controls, the more I like it.

The gun mechanics feel very fluent and intuitive now, it's what I've always wanted to see in a game. :')

I'm playing on full-screen with fantastic graphics on a (decent) laptop. I would guess it runs at about 20-30 fps. More to 20 when I'm in a big hallway with more lights.

Daedal

Post by Daedal » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:06 am

The game runs fine, except sometimes when entering rooms, where it freezes for something like 2 seconds. I also encountered the issue of falling through the floor, always at the same place, so that's not a random bug. All in all, there aren't too many technical problems, in my opinion. I must admit that I haven't played much though.

About the gameplay itself, ( even though that's probably not what you want to hear about right now ), I'll just say that shooting those drones and turrets already feels way more satisfying than shooting people in Call Of Duty. Which, admitedly, never gave awesome sensations when shooting but still, that's pretty amazing. Besides, the gun mechanics themselves are, well, original for sure, and they work very well. That's quite amazing too. I don't really think that you need to explain them better, as your tooltip is informative enough already, highliting the keys you must press when you need them. So you get used to it pretty fast. I must admit that I still usually drop magazines on the floor when i want to put them back in the gun...

What kind of bothers me is that it's not apparent at first what your goals are, and you just run around with these awesome game mechanics, so that's quite a shame. ( I'm aware of how this game was made, so I understand what you could not do, and maybe it's part of the game to find out about it, with the tapes ) But given the price, I think people should buy it, if only for the innovation it brings.

( I'm using Windows 74, 64 bits )
Last edited by Daedal on Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoctorGester

Post by DoctorGester » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:24 am

The game lags for me terribly in fullscreen 1366x768 mode.
In windowed 800x600 it lags too, even with Fastest graphics settings.
Overgrowth, Dota2, Warband don't lag with maximum settings, what am I doint wrong?

magicman395

Post by magicman395 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:26 am

I really enjoyed this its great fun, but sometimes I fall thought the floor and when my brother tried on his machine the gun wouldn't stop moving. Other then that we haven had any problems love the game.

kotakotakota

Post by kotakotakota » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:29 am

Just a note, it ALMOST works for me in Linux through Wine. What I mean by that is I can't get the mouse aiming to work, but apart from that, everything seems to work great. Still, not exactly playable that way :lol:

Nervesplitter

Post by Nervesplitter » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:29 am

There's a lot of dead end situations which I don't like, spawning with no ammo infront of 3 taser things is really getting annoying. There's not enough rounds to enemies.

I also unloaded 2 mags worth of rounds on a turret thing and it was still working, I shot the brown part on the back of it so I don't know if that's some sort of strong point. Tasers are super fast and if you have 3 of them on you at once you're pretty much screwed, needing to reload in a combat situation is ban enough as it is, even worse when something is flying at you.

Running doesn't seem to work for me too, I will just walk in little bursts, and the tape recordings are weird, your voice doesn't really suit it. I think it's a really good game, but things haven't been balanced properly and there's still bugs, which makes sense really seeming you haven't been working on it a lot.

redshift

Post by redshift » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:32 am

Really cool game, although you need to turn up the minimum lighting on the randomly generated maps cos sometimes i just can't seem where im going and it just makes the game frustrating!!!!!

Unwoundpath

Post by Unwoundpath » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:35 am

After playing this game for 2 hours straight, I have to say I very much enjoy this to the fullest extent of my capabilities to do so. I did get much better over time, even getting good enough to reload while dodging a flier. A few things though, 1. falling through floors, as stated many times. It always seems to happen in this one specific hallway though. 2. Sometimes I can't seem to get to look in my gun by just pulling it back, sometimes t, then r (while holding t) works, others it does not, and ejects a bullet. Other than these few minor complaints,. I love this game!

TheSlider

Post by TheSlider » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:45 am

- My keyboard is an AZERTY model so I usually press ALT+SHIFT to switch to QWERTY in games that don't allow easy key bindings.
This time I used the binding tool in the launcher but the in-game help expects me to be using a Qwerty keyboard as the '?' key is physically the ':' key in my case and the help also shows the original Qwerty keys.
So I would suggest to include the '?' bind in the launcher options and link those keys to the in-game help for consistency.

- Mouse sensitivity is a bitch. I tried various resolutions in windowed/fullscreen mode but I still have to move the mouse a lot in order to just turn 180° although it seems to be slightly faster in fullscreen.

- Being able to adjust brightness or adding a flashlight or HDR would be nice as it's very difficult to navigate in dark areas (using higher graphics quality helps by making the floor stand out a little).

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:57 am

Personally I think the game is fantastic. I absolutely adore the ambience. In fact this game made me jump more often than Amnesia ever did. And damn do I feel thick-fingered trying to reload my gun whilst backpedalling from a taserdrone that ostensibly came out of nowhere.
I'm loving the backstory, too. And the music is just excellent and adds to the ambience exponentially.
Also I'm completely in love with the simplicity of the game. Not just runwise, but model- texture- and environment-wise too. Though that may just be nostalgia

However, like the good little critic I am, I do have a few gripes:
There's the absolutely pitch-black corridors where you can't tell left from right which, whilst a welcome contrast to the brightly lit rooms or annoying dark places lit only by a periodic red flash, can sometimes get very confusing. A little more indication on where the last corner ended and where the next one begins might be nice.

Then there's the complete loss at where to go at some points. The randomly-generated need to explore is quite nice, but the baseless and random locations of tapes just seem obtuse at some points. I'm never quite sure if I have checked every place it's possible for tapes to be in the past rooms.
Plus the fact that, when there's considerable progress in the game, generating/loading each additional chunk of the map seems to freeze the game momentarily and take longer each time it does so.

And then there's our honeysweet voice on the tapes. Perhaps we could have someone else give the tape voicing a try? And/or give the voice itself a little more distortion/noise effects? Listening to that sweet friendly and above all familiar voice that we've been hearing rather regularly over the years kind of takes away from the ambience in a bit of a disappointing "Oh , yes, right, I'm safe here" kind of way.

I haven't experienced the falling through the floor/wall bug myself (yet?), but I can imagine that's a severe disheartenment if it happens in the middle of a good run.

On a more positive note, the context-sensitive help system is pure brilliance, and I especially love how easy it is to just pop it up again to refresh my memory or check my current possibilities.
Fantastic game! Oh yes.

Current best run: 5 tapes, spotted a sixth, and then failed to get through a room with two, possibly three turrets. (Got the first one down though)

Kahvikone

Post by Kahvikone » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:25 am

The game seems really fun and different. I however ran into problems when I tried reconfiguring the keys. I tried to change hold to aim and toggle aim buttons.

I found out that I can't map the mouse keys at all. Is there a way to restore all unity engine settings to default?

CaptainDesk

Post by CaptainDesk » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:33 am

This NEEDS Novint Falcon support. Oh my god that would be awesome.

Fragr92_

Post by Fragr92_ » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:39 am

Personally i'd say that the game's two greatest weaknesses is 1) how poorly optimized it is (I'm not saying the coders did a bad job, i realise that doing something like this in just 7 days is not easy. I'm just saying that i can run BF3 on ultra settings in 1920x1080 with 40-60fps yet i still get 20-30 fps when trying to max this game out.) and 2) that there's no real goal other than to collect various kinds of goodies and destroy various kinds of robots.

If the game had some kind of objective or story other than what the tapes provide i'd say it would enter a whole new level of awesome.

It would also be nice to be able to find other types of guns than just your standard M1911. Maybe a handgun with a larger caliber or an SMG or even an assault rifle? Though i suppose this could be made difficult since i'm not sure if you have to obtain licenses to use existing firearms in games?

As for glitches i've only encountered two. The first being an out of scale bathroom in an appartment (sadly i didn't think of taking screenshots at the time) that seemed to be made for someone considerably larger than a regular sized human. (Presuming that the player is a regular sized human of course.)
The second being that you, as mentioned in previous posts, sometimes start with little to no ammo and no additional ammo in any of the nearby rooms.
While you can run past some enemies with a little bit of luck and planning it isn't really a good tactic since the stun bots seem to fly faster than the player. Which means the game basicly screws the player over from the start.

Other than this, great game! Would definitely like to see it updated and worked on so that it may become more of a game and not just a cool gun simulator :)

DansUser

Post by DansUser » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:39 am

This game is absolutely brilliant. I mean, it's very rough, especially in the visuals department and the glitch with the falling through the floors but it's absolutely brilliant. The controls are difficult to pick up immediately but after an hour of playing it ended up feeling very natural and satisfying. This is the perfect gameplay formula for a survival-horror, although I'm really not a fan of the genre. I love the setting as is and the story is really quite interesting and clever and it's something I enjoy seeing explored in games, movies and books alike.

Once again, this is fantastic and I'd love to see it further developed. Amazing job, guys.