Unofficial Overgrowth a187, weekly build

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Jeff
Evil Twin

Unofficial Overgrowth a187, weekly build

Post by Jeff » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:18 am

The unofficial, Overgrowth a187 leaked build is here! Note, you can also download it on your Humble Store page now!

(watch in hd)

Changelog:
- Added support for multiple mission objectives
- Added mission objectives for visiting hotspots
- Added must-visit hotspot
- Added victory hotspot
- Added scriptable UI system separate from level script
- Improved challenge level selector screen
- Fixed problem with missing image files

A "leaked build" is when John and I grab the latest SVN build and package it up for you guys. It has a ton of known bugs, so don't worry if it doesn't work for you. It is not condoned by David and Aubrey but we want to keep you guys in the loop and give you stuff to play with regularly!

If you find any bugs, please email a full description along with your system specs to [email protected].

*NOTE* Please remember that these are unofficial alphas and they do not represent a finished product. They are not polished builds, just straight up raw development dumps.

To download the alpha, use one of these links:

Win: Download
BitTorrent - please seed
MD5 = dc044c5a6044aaa9257f32c49f26bcda

Mac: Download
BitTorrent - please seed
MD5 = a899d936be096773ff23aae83a8e8ea7

Linux: Download
BitTorrent - please seed
MD5 = 781159d4a657ad2e40ce79a586044537

Just want the changes from the last alpha to a187? http://cdn.wolfire.com/alpha/diffs/overgrowth-a187.zip

Subscribe to the dev blog!

Aaron

Re: Unofficial Overgrowth a187, weekly build

Post by Aaron » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:23 am

For new users
  • If you have not installed Overgrowth yet you can use the SUMLauncher to do so!
  • If you already have Overgrowth installed you can use the SUMLauncher to update it to the latest alpha.
  • The SUMLauncher also allows you to install the Menu Mod which gives you another 120+ maps to try.
For Existing SUMLauncher users
  • If the menu files were changed in this alpha, the menu mod will no longer work. Updating the Menu Mod (to re-enable custom maps) might take us a little while. Once we have uploaded a new version you can use the menu mod installer to update it. (And don't worry, it won't break anything if you try running the installer before we upload the new files.)
  • It may also take us a bit to update the Menu Mod to include any new maps that this alpha may have added.
For future updates keep an eye on our twitter @SUMOGUtilities!

syamada37

Post by syamada37 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:25 am

This game has so much potential, but please, try to give us an approximate date on when the beta might come out.

Ice

Post by Ice » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:28 am

Thanks for making a video, always very helpful :3

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:06 am

The Menu Mod has been updated with with the new levels from Aubrey. Please let me know if you are having any issues with the new levels. (Warning, the Shielded Stands levels are pretty computer intense.)

Cat_Fuzz

Post by Cat_Fuzz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:51 am

RE: Able to have multiple objectives, I'm currently in the process of making the current maps have some form of conclusions (eg: 'Red Shards' upon reaching victory hotspot will trigger a "Reach Goal" objective, thus ending the level) because currently I can't change the objective from defeat all enemies, this also applies to Scrubby Hills - Fall, and a few of the user made maps)

Do we have to edit the level file to change objectives, or is there/will there be a way of doing this in the Map Editor in future?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:57 am

Cat_Fuzz wrote:RE: Able to have multiple objectives, I'm currently in the process of making the current maps have some form of conclusions (eg: 'Red Shards' upon reaching victory hotspot will trigger a "Reach Goal" objective, thus ending the level) because currently I can't change the objective from defeat all enemies, this also applies to Scrubby Hills - Fall, and a few of the user made maps)

Do we have to edit the level file to change objectives, or is there/will there be a way of doing this in the Map Editor in future?
If you look in the .xml files of the challenge maps, you'll see that there is a new tag there, I imagine it has something to do with that, as well as the new hotspots that you can find in the item browser.

Code: Select all

<Objectives>reach_a_trigger_with_no_pursuers, must_visit_trigger</Objectives>
<Achievements>flawless, no_injuries, no_kills</Achievements>

Cat_Fuzz

Post by Cat_Fuzz » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:09 am

That was incredibly lazy by me but either way, thank you Anton; as ever a source of useful knowledge.

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:09 am

syamada37 wrote:This game has so much potential, but please, try to give us an approximate date on when the beta might come out.
I'm guessing this won't happen before 2013 - This is just a personal guess, but it seems that there are still a lot of gameplay mechanics that need work.

Beta would probably mean that most of the gameplay and engine is done, and david will focus more on compatibility and content.

Advance123

Post by Advance123 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:58 am

syamada37 wrote:This game has so much potential, but please, try to give us an approximate date on when the beta might come out.
When a game is in Alpha, it's basically so early in development that it is impossible to have a release date. You never know if something will go wrong that it takes months to fix or if they want to add a whole new mechanic. You can only take an educated guess right now, and I'd think around early 2014-2015. Beta testing usually takes around a year, from what I've seen in development of a few other games.

pure_krogan89

Post by pure_krogan89 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:41 pm

have any other Linux users had problems loading levels? I go through the whole loading process and then it promptly shuts down before i have a chance to look at the skybox. any advice?

Rhaedas

Post by Rhaedas » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:17 pm

pure_krogan89 wrote:have any other Linux users had problems loading levels? I go through the whole loading process and then it promptly shuts down before i have a chance to look at the skybox. any advice?
Same here. Started that last version, but didn't have time to explore why. It's the first time since the official Linux build that something's broken for me. And it's too sudden to get a read on what fails, but it does seem to be right before the skybox should pop up.

Faw

Post by Faw » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:21 pm

Rhaedas wrote:
pure_krogan89 wrote:have any other Linux users had problems loading levels? I go through the whole loading process and then it promptly shuts down before i have a chance to look at the skybox. any advice?
Same here. Started that last version, but didn't have time to explore why. It's the first time since the official Linux build that something's broken for me. And it's too sudden to get a read on what fails, but it does seem to be right before the skybox should pop up.
I'm not able to load any levels in linux, I get a segmentation fault. Try running it in a terminal and see what the output is for you, maybe it's the same problem I'm having. Running something similar to

/usr/local/games/Overgrowth/overgrowth.bin.x86_64

in your terminal should do it.

olza

Post by olza » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:50 am

Yup, I have the same (Linux) problem

sandwichpolice

Post by sandwichpolice » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:47 am

Will we be able to access the new map without the menu mod next alpha?