Will Overgrowth have a Compelling Story?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
RogueHaven

Will Overgrowth have a Compelling Story?

Post by RogueHaven » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:06 pm

I think most of us are drawn to this game because of the awesome mechanics, the attention to detail, and the high degree of modability this game offers. But I fear that this game will fall flat as Lugaru did. I don't care how much you love that game, it's story was dry and predictable. I have a lot of hope when I look at the concept art (Audrey kicks ass...), but what do you guys think?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Re: Will Overgrowth have a Compelling Story?

Post by Anton » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:11 pm

Have you read the Comic yet? Aubrey has been using that as a test for his story telling techniques. I think it's pretty interesting. http://www.wolfire.com/comic

RogueHaven

Post by RogueHaven » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:07 pm

I have, but how will that translate in the game? It certainly won't be as corny as Lugaru's story, but will it be open-world or level based, grand cities or detailed pockets of the different culture. Will we be restricted to Turner and his playstyle, or have a wealth of options? Anyone have ideas?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Level-based, at least. Other than that, no idea.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Level based with a focus on Turner's story, in a mostly linear fashion. I don't think the main campaign will feature any other playable characters, but maybe the challenges and certainly mods will feature other characters.

I wouldn't expect too many grand cities (although there have been some modded already), but the game should feature fairly interesting outdoor scenes.

I also think we'll see a lot of details about every culture's history, even though we don't necessarily play it. There is certainly a wealth of backstory that they have already shown that can be built upon.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:22 pm

The comic's story I'm finding to be pretty standard, yet deliciously entertaining. Which I suppose is not a bad thing.

I am hoping that the cast of Overgrowth will be awesome, varied and charming. I think that even if the story is uninspired, a good cast will always pick up the slack. Sort of like Sam Fisher in Splinter Cell.

I'm sure the custom levels from the fans will provide for some neat tales as well.

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:01 am

I really liked the overgrowth comic so far. It reminds me of the Redwall books, strangely, although more gritty and realistic ( " Look! There are biscuits here. And jam. How can you be upset? " ). Aubrey has done really well in terms of developing character, even if the story isn't that original, and if the storytelling in overgrowth is as good as this I will be very, very happy.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:53 pm

Whether Overgrowth's story will be compelling?

I could go off on a long rant about the whys and hows, but I think I'll opt for the easy, concise answer:
Yes.

Don't worry about it. The devs are masterminds. They are only amateurs in the sense that they haven't done anything on this scale before.
It'll be fine.
If it's not satisfactory, I'll personally come over to your house to reconnect your brain.

LugaruFan

Post by LugaruFan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:15 pm

I think there's something to do with Turner getting captured or something, or volunteers to fight in that Arena, but that's all I can really think of, and that's probably not gonna happen...

Bottled Water

Post by Bottled Water » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:24 pm

If their story will read anything like lugaru or the comic, it will not be very compelling. Everything is far too rushed and the characters have no depth whatsoever. I quite seriously recommend they get a writer.

Danger Sexpile

Post by Danger Sexpile » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:38 pm

I agree. The universe of Overgrowth has so much potential I'd absolutely hate to see it subpar.

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:04 pm

We should get someone to come up with a whole bunch of place names, traditions, significant figures and politics for the various species that wander around the world of Overgrowth. Then we could all draw maps and make flowcharts.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:28 am

That wouldn't help.

Someone tried it and added stuff to the wiki. At least one people mistake them for official content, and had understandable doubts about the game.

1. One cats name was Wiskerball...

2. Another cat made videos....?

3. A rabbit village called Carrotville.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14952

Coincidence

Post by Coincidence » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:09 am

Oh gosh, that's terrible.

Well there goes my idea into the realm of obscurity. If only user-made content and fan content didn't start of some people on a crusade of anonymity to break every single component of dignified lore and the whole thing wasn't like search for tiny gemstones in a river of kangaroo feces.

I mean... Carrotville? Seriously?

Would the Rats name something Cheeseville? Or the wolves Elkfleshville? Or what about the dogs naming something Boneville? Or the cats: Cannedfoodville?

I had better stop before I give whomever came up with that name any more ideas.

Sometimes I love other fans, but other times I absolutely loathe their existence and long for their painful and messy destruction.

human_dictionary
Location: united states of the united kingdom of teletubbyland

Post by human_dictionary » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:14 am

whalemen live in Krillville

LOL :lol: