What is it all about?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
spacedaniel

What is it all about?

Post by spacedaniel » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Sorry, you'll have to forgive me, I return after 18 months (or more, I dunno) and find a greatly refined engine, better graphics, a mature editor and a bunch of other cool stuff BUT
I don't see where this is going.
I just love this idea, I cry of happiness when rabbits beat the crap out of eachother (me bad person, OK).
But what is the game idea here? Is it a fighting mmo? Will there be some sort of single player?
Roleplay? Wander-around-and-gather-stuff? Platform game meets 3D (which, by the way is awesome)?
Co-op?

What is it going to be? What is the point? What is the goal?

Other points: Why don't AI jump? Where's the ... overgrowth (lack of convincing "nature" on most maps)?

And finally, I'm not a troll, I'm not stupid, I'm not trying to offend anyone (least of all the devs) so please keep any answers nice and to the point, I'm fed up with the Internet as it is already. It's just a question. If answered somewhere else - please link to it, thanks!

Endoperez

Re: What is it all about?

Post by Endoperez » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:34 pm

Genres: Action, fighting

Single-player: some challenge levels without ongoing plot already exist, there will probably be a campaign, there might be some form or arena mode but I can't find any references for that ATM.

Multiplayer: FAQ mentions they'd like to do it, co-op taking priority (and single-player being even more important).

Roleplay, inventory? Lugaru, the prequel, didn't have these.

AI not jumping? AI is in progress.

Overgrown nature? I don't know, but plants slow the framerate down quite a bit at the moment- maybe it's just that. If herbivore or plant-using (woodcutting etc) population is overgrown, vegetation will be in short supply, but honestly I have no idea.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:57 pm

the title means that the population of rabbits would increase largely, since the [lugaru spoilers] were defeated from the whole island of Lugaru.

spacedaniel

Post by spacedaniel » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks guys!

Have you seen Mouseguard? "Comic"/RPG.
I just keep picturing small teams of "wabbits" out scouting for new territory or
patrolling the rim/badlands etc. Occasionally coming back to the city/village
to get new assignment, heal, eat, train, get equipment, defend town/village/caravan against packs of dogs (think "7 samurai"). Building up and protecting a society together.

Have a soft spot for persistent worlds as well. A team might unlock an area (not huge levels with all playing together, just a "visual" map where each area is on different servers or something... get a team, join a server or create one, do the missions stated by that area and... move on). Perhaps found a village. A bit like Mount & Blade.

Throw in these "impossible" levels as player training or character development (clear an official level, get something in return). Like a jedi sneaking of to dagobah for some bootcamp-time.

I know projectile weapons have been discussed. If they are introduced as bows it could work but it'll require shields (think "romans", heavy and cumbersome, a team asset). Or, blunderbuss. More or less small cannons with a huge reload time. No explosive effect though.

So, Mouseguard, 7 samurai, Jedi rabbits. Mount & Blade, Blunderbuss.... I'd pay 50$ for that... twice! Darn it, isn't there anything else besides money I can do to help? "Go go go, you can do it! Beta beta beta yeaaah!"

What is the modability on this thing anyway??

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:33 pm

Mouseguard is of a unique scale though.

Imagine your cat jumping onto the table and walking through your miniatures. That's the scale, 1:1. If not for cats, then for foxes. And what about a wolf... a pack of wolves? Or, god forbid, a rampaging deer? If an owl is a feathered, flying Godzilla, what is a stork?

The scale in there is just extreme. It could make a great game, but it couldn't really be based on the Overgrowth base, since it's meant for kung fu. You can't kung fu a mountain. The engine might be able to do it eventually, but it'd require heavy modding.

Any way, there's lots of modding:

Enemy AI is editable through open scripts. Character controls and actions are editable through open scripts.
Pretty much all the level-editor tools are built-in, except some specialized stuff such as generating a terrain heightmap.

The devs use Blender 3D for animation and rigging, modders can export animations too, or do custom chars, but I don't think anyone has done working custom rigs yet.
Models and textures are easy to import, existing files are visible, mostly in OBJs and DDSs. Levels, characters, item variables, attack variables etc are there as open XMLs.

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:57 am

Play Lugaru. It will be the same kind of linear game, but maybe with some major choices in the storyline and extra gameplay modes and things.

spacedaniel

Post by spacedaniel » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:26 am

I'll try Lugaru then.

I enjoy working with Blender so perhaps...

Ah, and for Mouseguard I was mostly referring to the feel of it, not the scale however(!) I'd like a Mouseguard game as well (big fat overgrowth mod :) )

Now if I could only amass a fortune by just staring into this wall...

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:40 pm

Keep in mind that there is a map editor with all the controls that the developers use to create their levels. So, whatever genre isn't on the campaign is bound to be thought up by someone in the community and posted on the forum (or maybe there will be an in-game user-made level browser in the future).

henry6

Post by henry6 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:42 am

I am from the best online thesis help UAE and online professional term paper help service at Qualified Writers.

among1

Post by among1 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:06 am

What you share has a lot of useful information, very useful to me, and good for the community in general. Please let us know what's going on. special thanks!
poppy playtime

Masgaliver

Post by Masgaliver » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:52 am

snow rider 3dOh, and when I said "feel" for Mouseguard, I didn't mean "scale"(!). I, too, would like a Mouseguard video game (complete with massive overgrowth modifications:).

ramipaper

Post by ramipaper » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:49 pm

Found your post interesting to read. I can't wait to see your post soon. Good Luck with the upcoming update. This article is really very interesting and effective.
custom paper tube