NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
syamada37

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Post by syamada37 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:34 pm

I heard on the forum that Overgrowth's storyline will be similar to Lugaru's.
When I heard that I broke down crying with anger.
Ask yourself a question Wolfire, how long have you been working on this game?
Was it 2005? I think it was. Well if it was since 2005 that you were planning this game, make it worth it. Make this game the best it could possible be. POSSIBLY BE. I'm saying that the storyline needs to be 10 times better than Lugaru's. There needs to be an open world with villages, different biomes, and races to talk to and fight throughout the world. From each village or random person you encounter you will receive quests that could include fighting, retrieving, racing, or assassinating. I know that this won't happen and was mentioned numerous times but this is how I would like the game to be when it's finished. The more "possible" way of making a storyline is to make a strolling for all the different races. I know this sounds very grueling but please, if you are going to work on a game for over 7 years, please make it a good one. You want it to be the best it can be because you worked so hard. But please just please don't make the storyline like Lugaru, i'm begging you!

from Wolfire Follower thank you :D

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Post by Constance » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:43 pm

The storyline might have a few twists and turns by the player's choice, but what I meant is that it'll be fairly linear. And it won't be as cheesy and corny as Lugaru's story, either, so don't worry.

syamada37

Post by syamada37 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:53 pm

sigh.... ok

SleepyMcGee

Post by SleepyMcGee » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:25 pm

Linear and open world are not mutually exclusive. With how much fun it is to just move and explore in this game, I think it would be a real tragedy not to have some open, less structured arias. I'm imagining a few smaller open world type arias connected by more traditional linear missions.

MadCatMax

Post by MadCatMax » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:07 am

Lugaru was not a bad game the story was a little predictable but overall i like it.

But my issue with Lugaru was that the world seen very open and large but was empty and i believe the maps should be more close off and liner. I also believe their should be more structure and building within the map so they can add more variety to the maps.

zzwerty

Post by zzwerty » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:13 am

Don't sweat. Linear stories are often better than open world anyway. I'm pretty sure Overgrowth will be better.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:24 am

Biomes, NPCs, quests, assassnations and so on have nothing to do with story.

They are gameplay elements or game design elements.

Freshbite

Post by Freshbite » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:56 am

This guy... lolwut.

Horridius

Post by Horridius » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:58 am

Is everyone overlooking that an open world would just be a big annoyance. Open world is for games like World of Warcraft where you can take a hundred sword hits or skyrim (or any other elder scrolls game) where you can just save at any moment die and reload (wouldn't fit with Overgrowth as it will make things a lot easier and take away the challenge).

I don't want to run around for five minutes and die in a glimpse of a second (which happens a lot in Overgrowth and also in Lugaru) and having to run back and die again and so on. That is seriously gonna get on peoples nerves. In my opinion the game is too fast paced for this open world thing.

The only thing that could be the solution is checkpoints not far from where you died, but does that add so much to the game? I also think it could get heavy for lower systems. I don't think it's worth it to make this huge word. You're demanding to much from an indie game. The maps are already very big, they can put a lot of stuff in one.

Storywise nobody said it would be like Lugaru, it will be linear kinda like Lugaru. Lugaru's story was fairly short and simple, it won't be anything like that. More something like the Comic which was great in my opinion.

There will be villages and different biomes and races to talk to and fight, it just won't be attached to eachother. What would be cool though is a map in which you can click on areas to fast travel too next, or you can return to parts of the world you already cleared. Like a raider camp, only to see it inhabited by new raiders which you can fight.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:53 am

Personally I really don't care if the world will be open or divided in several levels. Shadow of the Colossus proved that linear GREAT srorylines can take place in an open world. And I do think that exploring such open worlds with the possibilities Overgrwth's gameplay give you could be a lot of fun.
But levels can also be designed to give you multiple ways to play them. It really comes down to what the team wants to do. Personally, I really enjoy open world games. I love exploring and wandering off track, finding stuff, simply finding great places to look at even if they don't really add anything to the story. I am a roleplayer in that aspect. But there have also been many level based games that managed to do this. Far Cry was one of these games and it did a brilliant job at it (story was meh, though. Oh well...).

So in short: what we do know so far is that the game will take place in the same world like Lugaru. It will also probably pick up from the story of Lugaru. This is literally all we really know so far. And because of that I will simply trust in the ability of the team. If it will be open world or divided in levels, there will always be multiple ways to play the game. And the levels will definitely differ greatly over the course of the story. Just take a look at the official maps so far.

There is no reason to be worried.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:10 am

IMHO Shadow of the Colossus wasn't very good at telling a story. Now, I haven't finished it yet, so something might come up near the end, but the game so far hasn't really told a story.

What the game did was conveying an emotion. It's doing it's best to make the player feel emotions during gameplay. It's related, but different.

I think it's a fantastic game, but you can't really look into it for inspiration (no dialogue! no characters! interact with the world by patting your horse!) when you want to make a game with plot, dialogue and NPCs. Even if the horse reacts when you pat it.

Ylvali

Post by Ylvali » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:04 am

I think you absolutely CAN look at shadow of the colossus for inspiration for Overgrowth. I like minimalistic storytelling, don't see any point in excessive dialogue. Especially since we're dealing with rather primitive cultures here, I'd prefer a style of storytelling that needs as little dialogue as possible and focuses on emotions and graphical immersion.

Consider for example a situation where Turner spots a camp of wolves in a mission, it would be a very bad idea to bring up a sign where Turner thinks "Oh, that must be the wolves who kidnapped x, looks like that guy with the silvery mane is the leader blah blah blah". Much better to just have him watch the camp in silence and let the player do the thinking.

In fact, I believe you could make a great and complex story with almost no dialogue.

human_dictionary
Location: united states of the united kingdom of teletubbyland

Post by human_dictionary » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:34 am

aubrey touched on this making hotspots that bring a picture up onto the screen, so you can see turner's thoughts in picture rather than in writing.

this i think is also really nice, because it allows the player to think like the character. the whole point of the visual cues is that in a 3rd person video game, you can see far less then you can in real life, and things just stand out less

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:24 pm

SotC is great when you want to take inspiration into how to convey emotion. It doesn't do as much to convey a story.

Maybe I'm just defining a story differently from you guys though? I used to read lots of books, and stories still feel like they need words and text. I'm not used to voice acting in games with a story, yet. At least not without subtitles. :P

TheWayOfTheCarrot

Post by TheWayOfTheCarrot » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:54 pm

I thought Lugaru's story was amazing. tbh