Great potential

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Soesah

Great potential

Post by Soesah » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:42 pm

I got the alpha on Friday and I've been messing around with the game since then, playing challenges and other settings. At first I kept getting my butt kicked because I wasn't familiar with the controls and the style of playing, but by now I am starting to be able to hold my own.

For any beginner out there, I suggest taking the CMYK challenge and deleting two of the three opponents. This gives you a single slower enemy to work with and this is great practice to find out what you can do, and shouldn't do. In a short while you'll find you get the hang of it, and you can add one of the two deleted guys back (by undoing), then practice with them. The normal (are they?) enemies on other maps then become nice challenges and soon you'll be having interesting fights. At the end of the evening I managed even to survive the 'dropping in' challenge a few times.

I also recommend watching some of the alpha video's on Youtube, since it gives you lots of information about what the intent behind something is.

Well, I just wanted to say that I am really looking forward to what this game it shaping up to be. Hope to see more soon, and if anyone has any more tips on learning to fight, I'd appreciate it.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: Great potential

Post by Constance » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:24 pm

here are all of the fighting controls so you know what you're doing.

If you're moving and attacking, then you do a roundhouse kick.
If you are you are close up and attacking, you will do a jab.
If you are moving and attacking while close up, you'll punch.
If you are crouching and attacking, you'll do a sweep.
If you are not moving and attacking, you'll do a straight-kick (a normal kick towards the stomach)
If you are in the air and attacking, you'll perform a drop-kick.
If you are attacking while nearby a enemy when he's on the ground, you'll kick him while he's down.
You can duck under a round-house kick and then sweep the enemy's legs from under him, then kick him while he's on the ground from your sweep.
If you tap the block button, your character will block the incoming attack.
If you hold the block button, your character will perform a judo throw after you block the incoming attack.

BotheredMe

Post by BotheredMe » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:13 am

Timbles wrote: If you tap the block button, your character will block the incoming attack.
If you hold the block button, your character will perform a judo throw after you block the incoming attack.
I thought it was the other way around. I always seem to judo throw when I 'parry' and block when I hold it. Weird :/

Soesah

Post by Soesah » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:17 am

Timbles, thanks, that's very good to know. I think I have started to understand most of it from playing around and I understand that when I get hit, it's because I didn't see it coming and didn't react. I think the trickiest bit to learn is when to react to what.

BotheredMe, I think he's right. I only do a throw when I hold it.

Surak

Post by Surak » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:03 am

I also like Silverfishs video about this topic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhdzZA ... plpp_video

It's pretty much what Timbles already said but in video form, so maybe easier to get for beginners.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:06 am

BotheredMe wrote:
Timbles wrote: If you tap the block button, your character will block the incoming attack.
I thought it was the other way around. I always seem to judo throw when I 'parry' and block when I hold it. Weird :/

Blocking only works if you time it right. If you keep the block button pressed in the hope that your character will use something like a guard in boxing you are mistaken. There are no passive blocks in Overgrowth, only active blocking. If you press the button when you are not attacked and keep it pressed you will actually stand there with no guard whatsoever.

I always throw like this: I block and keep the block button pressed.

It's pretty much what Timbles already said but in video form, so maybe easier to get for beginners.
This video made me get the Alpha. Every new preorderer should use it as a reference if they don't know what to do or would like an easy guide. Made getting into the controls really easy for me.