Download Low Light Combat for free! (Mojam 2 game)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Dinjoralo

Re: Download Low Light Combat for free! (Mojam 2 game)

Post by Dinjoralo » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:33 pm

Dang, I actually just bought this before I noticed that I could get it here. Ah well, charity is it's own reward, as are extra copies.

Parco Folgore

Post by Parco Folgore » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:15 am

after some time of playing people didnt want to play with me anymore:p

This game is awesome and i love it XD but people seems to get an annoying delay problem with when above 100ping. and in this game where you have to react fast, having a 0.3 sec delay can do much harm :p

Luminc

Innovative small gems, but Overgrowth?

Post by Luminc » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:04 pm

Hi,

I love these small experiments Wolfire is churning out, and I think stuff like this is very useful for a small group like you. This approach to game design is very admirable, and I hope to see more of it!

Gameplay is impressive. I don't know how you guys came up with the physics, but once you get used to sprinting/walljumping — jumping against ledges to gain tremendous speed and height — this game is an absolutely refreshing FPS. I also get the impression this is not an accident, since ninjas jumping off walls totally fits within your body of work. However, all of this will fall apart once players get 30+ ping. Much of the dynamics then disappear ( people have far less mobility, slide around too much ) This game really only thrives in low ping conditions. I'm not sure if there's something to be done about lag compensation or making most of the movement unaffected by ping, but if anything in this direction is possible, it'll go a long way in making playing versus people across the globe more of a match. Until then I'll just try to get people in my neighbourhood to play it! ( LAN would be ideal )

The entire concept of having charge based on your energy left translates really well in the game and creates this interesting dynamic around the generator and around using your shots carefully. It also encourages people to use the sword, you'll have moments when you're both on less than 15 seconds of energy and a flurry of swords bursts out. So yeah, very good stuff.

Laser/flashlights? I use my laserlight a lot personally. Since the physics allow people to be mobile enough that when they're discovered they can evade or react quickly enough, you rarely resort to stealth. A "guns blazing" approach is actually preferable, higher pace, and still with moments of stealth. These moments are a bit rare as people are quite easily discovered, one player argued that maps need to be entirely dark, with only the generator giving off some light. I do agree it'll encourage players to use their laserlight more. I rarely use my flashlight though, since the laserlight's range is far longer and doubles as a crosshair (which is cool).

Personally, I'd prefer if these games picked up and got communities of their own. I think Desperate Gods had that potential, and so does LLC. Walljumping could be the new bunnyhopping, a concept like this can rival QuakeLive. I do understand if Wolfire continues working on Overgrowth, although I get a feeling development for that is screeching to a halt slowly mainly because of the growing scale of the project — but please do nourish these tiny gems you're putting out, because there's much more potential in them. Maybe the scale of your next 'experiment' could be a bit larger.

Stuntddude

Re: Innovative small gems, but Overgrowth?

Post by Stuntddude » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:45 am

Luminc wrote:Personally, I'd prefer if these games picked up and got communities of their own. I think Desperate Gods had that potential, and so does LLC. Walljumping could be the new bunnyhopping, a concept like this can rival QuakeLive. I do understand if Wolfire continues working on Overgrowth, although I get a feeling development for that is screeching to a halt slowly mainly because of the growing scale of the project — but please do nourish these tiny gems you're putting out, because there's much more potential in them. Maybe the scale of your next 'experiment' could be a bit larger.
As far as I'm aware there are no plans for either of these to be expanded beyond occasional updates (though I've been wrong on things like this before). Desperate gods was a bored game -- there's not much you can add to that, plus it was largely an "experiment" in the sense that it helped David learn netcode, largely for future use in Overgrowth. Low light combat is a similar deal, and not just because of netcode. Even if it is fairly open-ended, there's not much of a reason to add onto it other than lag compensation/movement prediction, a few new maps, and maybe some other smallish improvements.

atomtengeralattjaro

Post by atomtengeralattjaro » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:17 pm

that doesn't mean these games couldn't get the "communities of their own" like Luminc described.
Since the source codes for these side projects are/will be avaiable, modders can do whatever they want with the games, create more maps, fix bugs, etc. I think this is great.

DumbLemon

Post by DumbLemon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:07 am

I love this game Except one problem. The controlls are like your dancing on ice. You caun't stop with out slowing down. You caun't run to full speed with out speeding up slowly. This maybe cuz the map is a ice cave. If thats the case make a normal map.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:44 pm

DumbLemon wrote:I love this game Except one problem. The controlls are like your dancing on ice. You caun't stop with out slowing down. You caun't run to full speed with out speeding up slowly. This maybe cuz the map is a ice cave. If thats the case make a normal map.
That is lag between you and the server. This can be fixed in future updates with some client side prediction. Try hosting a server yourself, and it will feel much more responsive.

Chainblade

Post by Chainblade » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:39 pm

When I play it, I feel the controls are "delayed" is this lag, computer or is it supposed to be so.

But anyways great game guys.

Geen

Post by Geen » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:24 pm

How do you use the sword? Also, shooting out the generator when you know everyone else is close to dying is fun.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:40 am

Geen wrote:How do you use the sword? Also, shooting out the generator when you know everyone else is close to dying is fun.
To use the sword, attack while sprinting.

Also, I did not know that you could shoot out the generator - very, very elaborate trick.

atomtengeralattjaro

Post by atomtengeralattjaro » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:57 am

i just checked and you can't "shoot" it out.. i think he meant draining it down completely so that others can't have any more energy.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:17 pm

It would be fun to be able to shoot out the generator, and make it explode, making everybody around it either explode or get slowed down.

atomtengeralattjaro

Post by atomtengeralattjaro » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:01 pm

maybe, but wouldn't people accidentally shoot it? :P there is a lot of combat near the generator, and when you add lag, it's bound to happen.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:46 am

I just noticed you can crouch by pressing C. I wonder; how does this effect stealth?

daneco

Post by daneco » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:00 pm

the generator doesn't explode or anything. I went checking after reading that x)
Any idea when that amazing looking map, on a meteor or something, will come out? That change of light looks awesome, and when the shadow is moving it has to make awesome gameplay happen :P