the combat system

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
freeridersam

the combat system

Post by freeridersam » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:52 pm

i have some questions about the combat system in overgrowth.
-how does the health system work? i know you have a skeletal structure but does it get weakened with every hit you take, or is it consistantly strong until one very powerful hit?
-is it part of fighting to crouch and do a low move (and can you do that fast enough for it to be effective)?
-is must you crouch to block a tow attack?
thanks a tonne for answering these questions, if you do.

EPR89

Re: the combat system

Post by EPR89 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:38 pm

freeridersam wrote:i have some questions about the combat system in overgrowth.
-how does the health system work? i know you have a skeletal structure but does it get weakened with every hit you take, or is it consistantly strong until one very powerful hit?
The skeletal system doesn't have anything to do with the health system. All the skeleton is used for is the animation, just like it is in every other game.
Overgrowth uses a more traditional health system that consists as far as I know of three indivisual health bars (please correct me if I get this wrong):
  • Permanent Health: every hit you take reduces your permanent health. If it reaches zero you die (body goes completely limp).
  • Regenerating Health: a part of the blunt damage (falls, punches etc.) you take does not reduce your health permanently, but regenerates somewhat over time. The maximum Regenerating Health is always capped by the Permanent Health.
  • Weapon Health: self explanatory
-is it part of fighting to crouch and do a low move (and can you do that fast enough for it to be effective)?
When you crouch and attack you perform a sweep. While you are down you cannot be hit by roundhouse kicks and punches.
-is must you crouch to block a tow attack?
I'm guessing you mean low attack. No, you don't.

If you are not sure about combat in Overgrowth, watch this video:

Unless the system gets changed radically this will always be the best tutorial you can watch on the topic.
Last edited by EPR89 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:51 pm

This should be a Q&A for Overgrowth fighting, even though most of the combat is explained in the video by OGWeekly.

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:09 pm

the permanent health applies to weapons, if you get cut with a knife, the permanent health stays there and never regenerates. regenerating health will be for damages like punches and kicks.

I think what he means by skeletal structure is how if you do a flip at the wrong time you break your neck and where hits in certain areas do more damage than other areas.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:50 pm

RagdollZombie wrote:the permanent health applies to weapons, if you get cut with a knife, the permanent health stays there and never regenerates. regenerating health will be for damages like punches and kicks.
Are you sure about this? I always thought that they were independent from each other. The health bars of the Blood Mod also reflect that.
Edit: You're right. Bladed weapons also attack the permanent health.

I think what he means by skeletal structure is how if you do a flip at the wrong time you break your neck and where hits in certain areas do more damage than other areas.
Many people who find out about Overgrowth for the first time think that the health system works by simulating impacts on a virtual skeleton, because many people explained it that way in videos after realising that you die when you fall on your head. The game does a great job at creating hat illusion, but it is still a health system with some regions that, when hit, take more damage than others.
Last edited by EPR89 on Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

akazi

Post by akazi » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:59 pm

EPR89 wrote:
RagdollZombie wrote:the permanent health applies to weapons, if you get cut with a knife, the permanent health stays there and never regenerates. regenerating health will be for damages like punches and kicks.
Are you sure about this? I always thought that they were independent from each other. The health bars of the Blood Mod also reflect that.

Many people who find out about Overgrowth for the first time think that the health system works by simulating impacts on a virtual skeleton, because many people explained it that way in videos after realising that you die when you fall on your head. The game does a great job at creating hat illusion, but it is still a health system with some regions that, when hit, take more damage than others.
Here you go humans:

bloodycoathanger

Post by bloodycoathanger » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:16 am

great thread, i bet a lot of people misunderstand this and dont even realize it.
i too thought there was infinite health and just certain spots you didnt want to hit too hard.

it explains a lot, there was times where i was baffled by how a weak hit would seemingly break me in 2.
this should be stickied.