flintlock pistols

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
haggalais

flintlock pistols

Post by haggalais » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:39 am

i realize that if people already dont want a bow and arrow in this game why a flintlock pistol well the idea of a cross bow was trown around and i though it was good but why not a gun its only gives you the one shot it would have tereble accuracy and somewhat short range and theres no stealth involved would be good for a epic battle ender shoot the last rabbit in the back as he tries to get help just a suggestion let me know if anyone would think it would be cool why why not

Endoperez

Re: flintlock pistols

Post by Endoperez » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:21 am

That's actually quite an interesting suggestion. The mechanics would be pretty interesting - as you said the loading time would be long so you'd only get one shot off in each fight. The huge bang would alert enemies, it would be a devastating short-range weapon but couldn't be used for sniping...

Also, pistols can be used to bash enemies on the head if they are empty!

Really interesting idea, I have to say!

I believe the technology level in Overgrowth is too low for this to appear in the main game, but it would make for a fun mod.

Parco Folgore

Post by Parco Folgore » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:39 am

i also think it would be fun to see a flintlock pistol in overgrowth, but if it were to be added, should it have automated aim or manual aim? personally i would vote for manual aiming, it would then require more skill to actually use it well.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:13 am

Parco Folgore wrote:i also think it would be fun to see a flintlock pistol in overgrowth, but if it were to be added, should it have automated aim or manual aim? personally i would vote for manual aiming, it would then require more skill to actually use it well.
Manual aiming would make ranged weapons much more interesting, and would allow for much more powerful ranged attacks and weapons. The flintlock pistol might be automatic hit at really short ranges though. I mean, when you can just push the barrel against the flesh...

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:15 am

It has been so long since a good ranged weapon idea has been suggested that even Endo considers a good idea.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Timbles wrote:It has been so long since a good ranged weapon idea has been suggested that even Endo considers a good idea.
More like "a different ranged weapon idea". Usually it's one of these: "I think bows are cool", "i think guns are cool", "i think crossbows are cool". I mean, no one has suggested bananas as a dual-purpose throwing weapon, for example.

akazi

Post by akazi » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Endoperez wrote:
Timbles wrote:It has been so long since a good ranged weapon idea has been suggested that even Endo considers a good idea.
More like "a different ranged weapon idea". Usually it's one of these: "I think bows are cool", "i think guns are cool", "i think crossbows are cool". I mean, no one has suggested bananas as a dual-purpose throwing weapon, for example.
Psh, bannanas as a throwing weapon?! Please, we should be able to shoot the enemy with them! squish squish squish. muhaha! :twisted:

Advance123

Post by Advance123 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:59 pm

I was never really against a bow and arrows in the game as a ranged weapon but I still understand the bad points to having it in. I do have more of an issue with guns being in this game. I don't think any race has particularly evolved enough yet to invent something so intricate and advanced. I think it would be more suited to, for example, a race of chimps if they were to ever be considered for the game because of how intelligent they are IRL. Perhaps the already existent dogs could work, they've made a telescope.

If the pistol was made by something that wasn't a rabbit then I think it's a pretty good idea, though I still think the best way to go in terms of ranged combat is small consumable throwing weapons or a slingshot of sorts. I don't think a gun fits in with the established theme and 'lore' of the game so far, at least not as well as other options do.

Parco Folgore

Post by Parco Folgore » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:14 am

maybe not a flintlock pistol, maybe something even older than that.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:23 am

Attach that to a spear and you're talking.

There are Song-dynasty descriptions of winged, gunpowder-propelled bombs too. Here's an artist's impression:

Here's some siege warfare:

Maybe I should stop now before this thread gets sidetracked too much? Here, have some flintlock weapons:

Edit:

This is a nice one too:

It's a flintlock-axe with a hidden dagger! You know, for those times when your enemies aren't already confused.

human_dictionary
Location: united states of the united kingdom of teletubbyland

Post by human_dictionary » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:57 am

well you see, my multitool has a spear, knife, flintlock pistol, tazer, sword, baseball bat, chainsaw, slingshot, crossbow and a beer bottle opener.

on an on-topic note though, i think crossbows would be better than a flintlock pistol because it fits in better with the medieval feel of OG, they are both heavily manual weapons, they require individual reloading after every shot, so youre not legolas. i think crossbows would be a better idea than bows in OG

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:32 pm

human_dictionary wrote:well you see, my multitool has a spear, knife, flintlock pistol, tazer, sword, baseball bat, chainsaw, slingshot, crossbow and a beer bottle opener.

on an on-topic note though, i think crossbows would be better than a flintlock pistol because it fits in better with the medieval feel of OG, they are both heavily manual weapons, they require individual reloading after every shot, so youre not legolas. i think crossbows would be a better idea than bows in OG
Crossbows are long-range weapons. I agree that the pistols don't fit the technology level, but they're SHORT-range, ranged weapons.

Parco Folgore

Post by Parco Folgore » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:59 pm

could maybe make a bad version of a crossbow, a really primitive one with bad range and aim, if its gonna have longer range it will need manual aiming with no crosshair i think. would be better than the one hit weapon throwing we have now i think. the dmg the projectile from the crossbow would also have to depend on its speed and where it hits (feets, arms, chest or head, etc)

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:27 pm

Parco Folgore wrote:could maybe make a bad version of a crossbow, a really primitive one with bad range and aim
I really disagree on the aim part.
Using auto aiming and giving a weapon worse accuracy in order to balance it is a horrible design choice, because it is fake difficulty in its purest form.
I'm not a big fan of auto-aiming in general. In my opinion it should be manual aiming all the way, with the weapon itself being used to aim, no virtual crosshair or anything like that.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:19 pm

Well at least make the crossbow completely unable to be used while moving (or at least make it miss when moving)