To lag, or not to lag?

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
hampeey

To lag, or not to lag?

Post by hampeey » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:25 pm

Heyo, I have kind of a shitty PC but it still runs Bf3 & such games on medium - high settings, which makes me wonder why this game lags ( or even crashes ) too much for me when I play on medium graphics facing more than 4 opponents. Even on the "simple" maps. I know the game has incredible graphics too and advanced physics so I'm guessing that causes pretty much of the lag? But I'm still wondering, is there any way to reduce lag? And why does it randomly crash sometimes?
Help appreciated :)

Endoperez

Re: To lag, or not to lag?

Post by Endoperez » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:37 pm

It's probably the physics rather than graphics.

Much of this is because the game is still in development. Much of the code is in an easy-for-human-to-understand format, which is sometimes slower than code in fast-for-CPU-to-calculate format. Optimization hasn't been a huge priority for them, so far, and that's why the game is still slow.

hampeey

Post by hampeey » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:37 pm

Okay, thanks. Think it'll get better in the future :)?

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:50 pm

hampeey wrote:Okay, thanks. Think it'll get better in the future :)?
Optimization is not top priority in the development at this stage.
So it's safe to say that it will get much better in the future, especially once the game reaches beta.

Stuntddude

Post by Stuntddude » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:26 pm

hampeey wrote:Okay, thanks. Think it'll get better in the future :)?
Much. Right now there has been little time spent on optimization, and some of the code is still in script format instead of compiled, so once they reach that stage in development, I'm betting the game will run smooth as butter, given that David is a wizard.
Last edited by Stuntddude on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:09 pm

Stuntddude wrote:
hampeey wrote:and some of the code is still in script format instead of compiled,

If you mean the scripts in the Scripts folder... those are intentionally editable scripts, and will stay so. They aren't really affecting the FPS rate at all.

http://blog.wolfire.com/2009/04/four-my ... avascript/
"Granted, it is not as fast as a compiled language like C, but we don't need it to be. Our scripting engine is not the bottleneck in Overgrowth, which basically means that even if the V8 JavaScript Engine got a 200x performance boost overnight, your Overgrowth FPS would not be increased."

Stuntddude

Post by Stuntddude » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:47 pm

I stand corrected, thanks.