Some A.I. and combat ideas

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
akazi

Re: Some A.I. and combat ideas

Post by akazi » Fri May 10, 2013 10:58 pm

RagdollZombie wrote:Ai rabbits should be able to jump after you if you run too far away from them. It'll make chases a lot more interesting, since it'll be harder for them to lose you.
+1 This was in Lugaru... I think. :)

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Fri May 10, 2013 10:59 pm

:D then hopefully they'll be adding it in game :D I'd love really for this kind of feature

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat May 11, 2013 1:25 am

Stuntddude wrote:Lighten up bro. Not sure why people around here are so convinced that everything I say is 100% serious. Most other forums, people would have caught on by now. Oh well :| Guess we can't all be winners.
That was like saying "rock is wet" and expecting people to find it funny.

Stuntddude

Post by Stuntddude » Sat May 11, 2013 8:01 am

Endoperez wrote:
Stuntddude wrote:Lighten up bro. Not sure why people around here are so convinced that everything I say is 100% serious. Most other forums, people would have caught on by now. Oh well :| Guess we can't all be winners.
That was like saying "rock is wet" and expecting people to find it funny.
Guess we can't all have a sense of humor, either :|

Tilas300

Post by Tilas300 » Sat May 11, 2013 8:44 am

Back to the origional topic, the battle cry is really just an alpha lip-sync test (It's probably not meant to actually make noise to AI), but if there was a battle cry button in the final game, that mechanic would be a good idea. Other than that, I agree. :)

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat May 11, 2013 10:16 am

Tilas300 wrote:Back to the origional topic, the battle cry is really just an alpha lip-sync test (It's probably not meant to actually make noise to AI), but if there was a battle cry button in the final game, that mechanic would be a good idea. Other than that, I agree. :)
This.

Also, the "battle cry" sucks... it sounds like someone's bad interpretation of the doppler effect, as if the character is falling down a long hole. (And you are standing still.)

Ylvali

Post by Ylvali » Sat May 11, 2013 10:31 am

Endoperez wrote:"rock is wet"
:lol: ROFLMAO!!11!! :lol:

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat May 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Stuntddude wrote:Guess we can't all have a sense of humor, either :|
I have humour! It's in the same cup with my ice cream.

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Sat May 11, 2013 2:22 pm

Anton wrote: Also, the "battle cry" sucks... it sounds like someone's bad interpretation of the doppler effect, as if the character is falling down a long hole. (And you are standing still.)
If you find the sound where the battle cry originated somewhere in Data/Sound/Voice/ the actual name of the sound is "fallscream." It seems to fit that more than a battle cry XD

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat May 11, 2013 2:29 pm

RagdollZombie wrote:If you find the sound where the battle cry originated somewhere in Data/Sound/Voice/ the actual name of the sound is "fallscream." It seems to fit that more than a battle cry XD
If you are the originator of the sound (i.e. the person falling) you would never hear the doppler effect. It has to do with the acoustics of sound coming from a source that is moving towards or away from you. So, unless it is the sound of a different person falling, it still fails to be a good sound. And even then, you can emulate the doppler effect in a game much more efficiently by applying the same effect but having it actually relate to the game state, making it a useful sound, as opposed to a cartoony sounding joke.

Stuntddude

Post by Stuntddude » Sat May 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Anton wrote:If you are the originator of the sound (i.e. the person falling) you would never hear the doppler effect.
I disagree. If you're hearing the reverb of your voice, depending on your relative velocity with the surface it's bouncing off of (and velocity of both elements in relation to the air), the pitch would sound different. The pitch of the original sound would stay the same, though (and I think that's what you meant), since you're hearing it as it travels through your own head and not through the air around you. Theoretically, it would be the same pitch even if you were travelling supersonic, although I think at that point you would probably break several bones and generally be in a world of hurt, so you might not notice.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat May 11, 2013 9:24 pm

Stuntddude wrote:
Anton wrote:If you are the originator of the sound (i.e. the person falling) you would never hear the doppler effect.
I disagree. If you're hearing the reverb of your voice, depending on your relative velocity with the surface it's bouncing off of (and velocity of both elements in relation to the air), the pitch would sound different. The pitch of the original sound would stay the same, though (and I think that's what you meant), since you're hearing it as it travels through your own head and not through the air around you. Theoretically, it would be the same pitch even if you were travelling supersonic, although I think at that point you would probably break several bones and generally be in a world of hurt, so you might not notice.
Haha.

Your mind would still differentiate the difference between your own voice and any kind of reverberation. (Hooray for psychoacoustics.) So there is never a time when you would perceive your own voice as changing in pitch, unless you are actively changing the pitch, which is why the example in the "war cry" is so absurd. (Which you seem to agree with.)
In your scenario, the sound of reflections in conjunction with head related transfer function (HRTF) are the tools our brains use to localize sound. You would never perceive that sound as a doppler effect (although, mathematically related) but instead would perceive it as a sense of space.
Also, if traveling through air at supersonic speeds, I think the sound of air moving past your ears would probably mask any other sounds you could potentially hear. That is, if your ear drums could even withstand the pressure of actually traveling at those speeds.

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue May 14, 2013 12:23 pm

'v' has just been one of David's "test" buttons. And, although it has been set to the voice sound for quite a while now, the button has changed several times. (Same with 'b' and 'f'). I wouldn't count on those types of buttons in the final game. (Although, probably still available in the editor mode.) Just like 'tab' to slow down time will probably not exist in the final "game".

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Tue May 14, 2013 12:41 pm

haidawe wrote:
Anton wrote: Just like 'tab' to slow down time will probably not exist in the final "game".
That'll be a sad day, it really will.... I'll miss that, unless there is a 'free mode' where you can roam in levels and spawn in things, it'll more than likely be there I hope...
I kind of think that it will be available as a cheat. And maybe there will be a training mode where you can activate it.[/speculation]

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Tue May 14, 2013 12:42 pm

haidawe wrote:
Anton wrote: Just like 'tab' to slow down time will probably not exist in the final "game".
That'd be a sad day, it really will.... I'll miss that, unless there is a 'free mode' where you can roam in levels and spawn in things, it'll more than likely be there.
The editor will still exist, and that's what slow-mo is really meant for. Just don't expect slow-motion in the main game.

EPR89 wrote:I kind of think that it will be available as a cheat. And maybe there will be a training mode where you can activate it.[/speculation]
They certainly did that with Receiver, so it's always possible. I'd maybe look at the way that they did Lugaru as the model though. Basically where you can turn editor mode on and off. While it's on, slow mo will probably work.