Overgrowth Linux problems and their solutions/workarounds

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
gnurdux

Overgrowth Linux problems and their solutions/workarounds

Post by gnurdux » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:39 pm

Note: Jeff just fixed a201! If you already have a broken version, download the update manually at http://cdn.wolfire.com/alpha/diffs/over ... a201-1.zip

Here is a list of known problems with Overgrowth (a200) on Linux, and fixes/workarounds for them. If you have questions about any of these, respond to this post or try to find me on IRC.

1. Errors about GLSL appear, mentioning GLSL versions.

Solution: add #version 130 to the tops of all files that end with .vert or .frag, but NOT any of the files that end with .glsl, in the Overgrowth/Data/GLSL directory.

2. None of the textures show up; even the loading screen has a strange white box instead of a picture. The actual game has everything appear black and white.

Solution: You need to set up S3TC texture support. Google s3tc <your distro name>, like s3tc arch linux, to find out how to install it.

3. You get strange segfaults during the game.

There seems to be some sort of OpenAL-related problem. This seems to have been reduced, but not eliminated in a200. I think I have it fixed using a recompiled (and slightly hacked) OpenAL, but I'm not sure.
Last edited by gnurdux on Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Surak

Re: Overgrowth Linux problems and their solutions/workaround

Post by Surak » Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:38 pm

Very nice work, I think that will help a lot of people. It would be great if you could also add it to http://wiki.wolfire.com/index.php/Overgrowth_Linux, so that all the relevant information are at one place :)

gnurdux

Post by gnurdux » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:30 pm

a200 fixes the vast majority of the previous issues. Good work, David! I edited the post to only include things that seem to still be problems.

Windlord

Post by Windlord » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:45 am

I did the following to add "#version 130" to my files:

Code: Select all

cd /usr/local/games/Overgrowth/Data/GLSL
for f in $(ls *.vert *.frag); do; echo -e "#version 130\n$(cat $f)" > $f; done

tuxator

Post by tuxator » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:41 pm

Hey, maybe someone can help me.

I just downloaded the latest version (a201) and installed it, I installed the packages mentioned on the wiki page and now, if I try to execute the binary, nothing happens. No terminal output no nothing, it just returns instantly.

I'm on Ubuntu 13.04 x86, AMD fglrx driver 13.4. Any idea what could be the cause?

gnurdux

Post by gnurdux » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:37 pm

Looks like they screwed up the alpha again. For now, just download alpha 200.

Vangrew

Post by Vangrew » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:21 am

tuxator wrote:I just downloaded the latest version (a201) and installed it, I installed the packages mentioned on the wiki page and now, if I try to execute the binary, nothing happens. No terminal output no nothing, it just returns instantly.
Did you read the opening post? The binaries are missing in a201, you must use a200 for now.

Which files from the wiki do you mean? Which binary did you start, OvergrowthWorker.bin.x86_64? That don't work for me either, it probably isn't the needed binary.

gnurdux

Post by gnurdux » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:49 am

I hadn't edited the post yet when he asked :) (This post has been up since a199)

tuxator

Post by tuxator » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:38 am

ah, thanks for the info :).

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:24 pm

The 201 missing binaries issue should be fixed now! Sorry about that.

HER0

Post by HER0 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:12 am

I just tested the new version. Downloaded the torrent (which verified correctly), but when I ran the script, the output was:

Code: Select all

Verifying archive integrity...Error in MD5 checksums: 24cfed49fafcb27d16f5fd266d653d80 is different from a8a6ed8ce7635235707fd72f50e76214
Unfortunately I am unable to verify this as I had just deleted the old file, but because the torrent verified, I believe that the checksum was not changed within the package when it was fixed for linux. The package probably works, but it refuses to install (for me).

EDIT: I redownloaded as a redirect link from the humble store, it verifies now.
Last edited by HER0 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bzar

Post by bzar » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:41 pm

Getting "Error: Failed to load" for every sound effect. Otherwise the game works nicely. If I keep clicking "ok" the game will run but spawn a new error every time a sound is supposed to play. I have verified all the sound effects are in their correct locations and they seem to play correctly with aplay.

Modifying openal configuration doesn't seem to affect the outcome.

last

Post by last » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:51 pm

bzar wrote:Getting "Error: Failed to load" for every sound effect. Otherwise the game works nicely. If I keep clicking "ok" the game will run but spawn a new error every time a sound is supposed to play. I have verified all the sound effects are in their correct locations and they seem to play correctly with aplay.

Modifying openal configuration doesn't seem to affect the outcome.
Maybe there is problem with filenames and directory names, what i mean by this is that Linux file path are case sensitive. Also check the OG config file, maybe there is "report_case_errors:" set to true.

bzar

Post by bzar » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:58 pm

last wrote:Maybe there is problem with filenames and directory names, what i mean by this is that Linux file path are case sensitive. Also check the OG config file, maybe there is "report_case_errors:" set to true.
No such luck. The paths are correct char by char. The permissions are also correct.

Matze

Post by Matze » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi, I'm trying to get OG working on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - and fail hard up 'til now ;). Out of all my tries to load a map each and every attempt ends in a segfault. Currently re-downloading to try the Windows version on my gaming rig :roll:

My specs:
Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS
Core i5-2400s
8GB RAM DDR3
Radeon HD7750 on flgrx-experimental-13 (Steam relentlessly bugged me to switch to these drivers :mrgreen: )