Alpha 206 advance testing

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
David
Project Leader

Alpha 206 advance testing

Post by David » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:38 pm

I uploaded a new build to the Steam "advance_testing" branch to make sure it is working before making it live on the main branch and DRM-free server. Here is a Steam post about how to access it. Here is the change log:

- Removed intel GPU warning
- Improved gamma correction compatibility
- Added debug options to disable animation features
- Improved dialogue text positioning
- Fixed dialogue camera preview
- Fixed split screen rendering
- Objectives and achievements are now stored in level parameters
- Improved wind effect on ears
- Fixed "GL_prefix reserved" error
- Controllers can be plugged and unplugged while game is running
- Automatically recognize common controller input (via SDL game controller db)
- Updated SDL to 2.0.3 (fixes some controller and windowing issues)
- Added cats and rats
- New mesh simplification algorithm for character LOD
- Arena preloads all necessary files (no stuttering from file I/O)
- Improved running bounce animation

The main things to test out:
- The '3' and '4' keys should switch the player to a random cat or rat
- The arena should run much smoother
- You should be able to plug and unplug game controllers while the game is running, and most controllers should work fine without having to rebind buttons and axes, even on Mac and Linux

And as always it is good just to check if the builds still work -- if I messed up a dependency or something. Thanks!

Dammasta
Location: Somewhere under the rainbow, face down in the dirt.

Re: Alpha 206 advance testing

Post by Dammasta » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:50 pm

Yaaaaaaay

TheTrueApex

Post by TheTrueApex » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:55 pm

Just seen the update and played around a bit, here's what I found.

The 3 and 4 keys do switch me to a random Cat or Rat. I really enjoy the models, they look really nice.

The arena does run waaay smoother for me now, finally can get back into it.

Don't have a controller to test with though, and the keyboard feels just fine for me anyway.

Playing around on Outpost, and as any character if I get behind the guard I can hit him and he wont detect me. Even if I'm standing up he won't try to hit me back if I hit him from behind, he just keeps patrolling. Haven't had time to check for other maps or characters.

Haven't found much else different, but keep up the good work! :D

Madd the Sane

Post by Madd the Sane » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:56 pm

Creating a nav mesh makes Overgrowth show a wireframe for the terrain objects. Going to a new level doesn't fix this, and clicking on the "View Nav Mesh" button causes Overgrowth to crash.

Attached is the OS X crash log.

Edit: I do remember seeing a warning about a byte code error or something. Gonna try clearing the cache.
Edit 2: nope.
Attachments
Overgrowth_2014-04-25-124543_cw-i7-mini copy.txt
(56.64 KiB) Downloaded 50 times

Bunnytime

Post by Bunnytime » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:49 pm

the cat and mouse work fine, thanks for these changes,I will wait with anxiety the new build :D

akazi

Post by akazi » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:04 pm

plugging in a PS3 controler while game in running makes it so the D-pad is the move. None of the analogs work. says in the console window:
added device: 0
attached controller 0: ps3 controller
attached joystick 0: motioninjoy virtual game controller
current controllers: joystick 1: motioninjoy virtual game controller.
Also it seems GPU skinning does require a restart to be able to turn it on and off in real time properly to make it work right.
It seems the distance when LOD for characters to change is too close, you can easily notice the eye switching between the different levels of detail and looks odd.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:37 pm

Just updated it to fix the "create nav mesh" issue, hopefully.

Erxv

Post by Erxv » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:41 pm

Controller for me worked great. I got a ps3 controller and had to use that MotionJoy thing, but it still worked perfectly. I dont get the default control layout though. Seems kind of awkward to have to press both the shoulder buttons. i think jump and roll should be on the xyab / x o triangle square and attack/block should be on the L1 R1 not triggers.

Turning off GPU skinning seems to make every character invisible for me. Or atleast i saw my body way off in the distance while piloting a ghost.

Tree Canyon is the biggest troll level ever, i keep searching for the enemy cause the "suspicious" music is on.

Cat and Rat work fine. 1 thing is weird though. Every character except the turner model has this weird bug. If you use time slow and do a roundhouse kick, every characters, except turners, head kind of morphs into itself during the animation..

Arena mode was silky smooth :)

Moztroid

Post by Moztroid » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:52 pm

TheTrueApex wrote:
Playing around on Outpost, and as any character if I get behind the guard I can hit him and he wont detect me. Even if I'm standing up he won't try to hit me back if I hit him from behind, he just keeps patrolling. Haven't had time to check for other maps or characters.
I can second this.

*This behaviour happens on every level I have tested so far; Eroded Plateau, Dead Volcano, Red Desert and Desert Outpost

Arena is now playable without having frequent lag spikes!

Madd the Sane

Post by Madd the Sane » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:12 pm

Is it okay if I post the change log on a Steam forum post? Someone is asking what was changed.

And yes, the update did fix the Nav mesh problem.

Ecomp

Post by Ecomp » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:19 pm

Moztroid wrote:
TheTrueApex wrote:
I can second this.

*This behaviour happens on every level I have tested so far; Eroded Plateau, Dead Volcano, Red Desert and Desert Outpost
Try pressing the C button on your keyboard. That disables/enables combat mode so when editing you can have the characters stay still. I haven't tried the new alpha myself, but it may be automatically set off of combat mode.

sunshinekid

Post by sunshinekid » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:07 am

Two times, my character left its body on the ground and I had to fight as an invisible rabbit. I think, this happend both, directly after a hard hit. It was a bit like a second life...

MeleePanda

Post by MeleePanda » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:16 am

I have some problems with fullscreen: There seems to be a lot more lag when I enter fullscreen, and some things, such as the main menu and arena banner (showing amount of fans, spectators etc...) do not scale up, and are left the same resolution.

Valdevia

Post by Valdevia » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:06 am

sunshinekid wrote:Two times, my character left its body on the ground and I had to fight as an invisible rabbit. I think, this happend both, directly after a hard hit. It was a bit like a second life...
This had happened to me in previous builds after a hard hit in the arena. When the round ended I would come back to my body like a ghots who just realizes he's not ready to die. So the problem might be older, altough maybe it's happening more in this build? I don't know, haven't tested it yet.

Etidorhpa

Post by Etidorhpa » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:56 am

When will there be an actual game? :?