Please release an update already.

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
bobtaco

Please release an update already.

Post by bobtaco » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:41 pm

The game needs an update its been to long since the last update.

rodeje25

Re: Please release an update already.

Post by rodeje25 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:12 am

Bob no! Bad bob! Please nevereverevereverevereverevereverevereverevereverevereverevereverever
Everevereverevereverevereverevereverevereverevereverevereverevereverevereverever NEVER ask for
An update on this forum again. David has to keep his engine up to date AND has to work on OG (keeping the engine up to date is a timeconsuming job). In the last OGweekly (OGeveryotherweek) david said he was going to look for coders to work fulltime at wolfire. We haven't hear much about that except that david said on the IRC, that he found some potential coders. Also if you look here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37430
You'll have something to look forward to.

Oh and if you're unstatisfied about the game and you want your money back you can always ask for a refund. Just send an email to wolfire and they'll handle it for you.

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:24 am

I honestly have a hard time deciding which position to take.
I mean, at which point does it become legit to ask for an update?

Many people may want the game instead of a refund, as the core mechanics are more or less there and are awesome, so telling them to get a refund if they aren't happy seems a bit inappropriate. After all they want the game which has been presented to them and for which they happily paid for. I get they paid for an alpha and not a full game, but I am pretty sure the whole mechanism has as final goal the full game, which the customer have the right (maybe? just for decency?) to expect.
Also I assume the majority of the owners of the game are not active in the forum or in the irc, so to me it may seem fine for them to ask for an alpha, as since the last update has passed possibly the biggest interval ever between alphas.

It is honestly a matter which I am in doubt about.
Telling the ones who ask for updates where to look for news by the devs is perfectly fine, but I don't personally feel it is right to tell them to stop asking for an update (*). I mean, otherwise the risk is to deny feedback to the devs. Maybe also this kind of feedback may be helpful(**)?

(*Unless someone is spamming threads or is a particularly rude customers)

(**e.g. it is faster than refunds (happens before a refund) and may prevent some)

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:59 am

People may ask for an update when the game is very unplayable because of low framerate (like when you went from ragdoll to standing up that the framerate went down a lot. But there came an update for that shortly after a lot of reports). Or because there are bugs that are so annoying you don't want to play the game. That imo when people may ask for an update. Oh and when there hasn't been an update for almost a year.

Blackavar

Post by Blackavar » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:56 pm

Doesn't help that David doesn't post on the blog anymore except for updates :P

I nagged him for a little bit of time to get him to upload the OGWeekly episode to the blog, at least then if people have NO IDEA what's going on they can find some hope there, but David still isn't really talking.

It could be a lot better, but it isn't. I'm not asking for updates, I'm just asking for a bit more than the radio silence. I mean obviously if you go into the IRC (at a lucky time) you can talk to David, ask what he's been working on, etc, but he doesn't post any of that stuff to the blog anymore, for whatever reason, and I think it would greatly benefit him if he did.

Autious
Project Programmer

Post by Autious » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:32 am

It's never wrong to ask for update, people are just voicing their emotions and it's a sign that they are invested, which is great. We shouldn't berate them for it, that won't make anything better. It's probably better to indicate sympathy (we all DO want it, right?), that will result in the community growing more positive and larger.

Getting the update delivered on the other hand is a completely different story, that is at the whim of the developer, and the process is slow. In fact, delivering too often might slow the development.

The game is in production and more will come.

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:17 pm

Cool words

Dammasta
Location: Somewhere under the rainbow, face down in the dirt.

Post by Dammasta » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:42 pm

I have to say, this is one of the most patient communities I've ever seen (no sarcasm).
Next Car Game's community started bitching about the lack of updates after about two months of inactivity, and even then the devs were constantly updating their blog with what they were working on.

DaneBeta

Post by DaneBeta » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:01 pm

It has been 5 months now. And that would be completely ok if the dev's twitter account didn't die, and if he at least posted a youtube video on the progress. After what happened to The Stomping Land, you can't really blame anyone for being concerned.

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Post by halzoid » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:14 pm

This is why they have the the unstable pre-builds option on steam, I don't use it personally, but there is always the latest updates on there.
It's like a mini alpha :)

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:31 am

halzoid wrote:This is why they have the the unstable pre-builds option on steam, I don't use it personally, but there is always the latest updates on there.
It's like a mini alpha :)
has this been updated though? last tie i checked it wasnt different from the normal one
theres some news on his twitter though: GI and hdr bloom https://twitter.com/Wolfire