Sky Error

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Corinator

Sky Error

Post by Corinator » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:53 pm

Okay, this problem has been around for long enough and I have not found any answers to it on the SPF, so I am starting a new thread.

Whenever I load a level, I get an error that says it cannot find a certain sky texture. If I click continue, I get the missing texture green checkerboard sky. The only way I have found to fix this is to go to the directory of the missing file and make a copy of the "_converted.dds" version of the file and rename it to the missing file name. I get an error saying "Invalid texture ID" so I add a ".dds" to the end and restart the level. This works, but I have to do it for every level. On top of that, the sky resolution is now crudely low, even when I turn the texture quality to full. Why is this happening, and am I doing the right thing to fix it?

Thanks,
Corinator

rodeje25

Re: Sky Error

Post by rodeje25 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:05 pm

delete your game's cache. and you haven't been searching good enough because i made a topic about this a while ago

Corinator

Post by Corinator » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:02 pm

Thanks, but where is the cache located? I found a cache file in Documents/Wolfire/Overgrowth/Data/Temp, but deleting it didn't seem to do anything.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:16 pm

Corinator wrote:Thanks, but where is the cache located? I found a cache file in Documents/Wolfire/Overgrowth/Data/Temp, but deleting it didn't seem to do anything.
You can clear it with SUMLauncher, in one of the buttons at the very top of the program.

Elahrairah

Post by Elahrairah » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:18 pm

Timbles wrote:
Corinator wrote:Thanks, but where is the cache located? I found a cache file in Documents/Wolfire/Overgrowth/Data/Temp, but deleting it didn't seem to do anything.
You can clear it with SUMLauncher, in one of the buttons at the very top of the program.
Clearing with SUMLauncher didn't seem to help me, but loading the .dds image file into GIMP and exporting as .tga did work. I only had the error message pop up on that grassy level with the canyon and bridge so far. The missing texture simply doesn't exist in the program's Data folder in the format required.

Corinator

Post by Corinator » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:56 am

Elahrairah wrote:
Timbles wrote:
Clearing with SUMLauncher didn't seem to help me, but loading the .dds image file into GIMP and exporting as .tga did work. I only had the error message pop up on that grassy level with the canyon and bridge so far. The missing texture simply doesn't exist in the program's Data folder in the format required.
I understand this and I can fix it, but how do I keep it from happening in the future? It happens with every single level.

Surak

Post by Surak » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:52 am

Have you tried to completely remove the game and reinstall it?

Elahrairah

Post by Elahrairah » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:10 am

When I downloaded the game, I made a copy of the entire installation folder on another drive. Since I just downloaded from Steam this week, there's not much that could have changed since installation. Neither the game directory nor the copy contain TAR files in the Textures\skies folder, only DDS. Could it be a difference between a Steam based install and one made via SUMLauncher?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:35 pm

There are two problems here. The first is that you don't have the .tga files (or the compressed .dds files for the specific level you are playing) that you need to generate the skybox the first time you run the level. These can be downloaded from SUMLauncher. In the community content browser, you can choose "Expansions & Fixes", and they will be in there. Or just search for Skyboxes.

The second thing is that if you have loaded the checkerboard file once, that version of the skybox is cached as a new .dds file, and you need to delete the cache to then calculate from the .tga file downloaded with SUMLauncher. This can be done in SUMLauncher by choosing "File > Delete Local Files" and then choosing the Overgrowth Cache files.

Once you have done those two steps, your level should load properly with the right skybox. As a word of warning, after you delete the cache, levels will take longer to load the first time, as it re-generates those cache files.
Elahrairah wrote:When I downloaded the game, I made a copy of the entire installation folder on another drive. Since I just downloaded from Steam this week, there's not much that could have changed since installation. Neither the game directory nor the copy contain TAR files in the Textures\skies folder, only DDS. Could it be a difference between a Steam based install and one made via SUMLauncher?
The problem is that the devs stopped providing all the skyboxes at some point, (to reduce file size) which is why we created the downloadable version from SUMLauncher. This is true for every build, Steam or not, so anyone who has not downloaded the skyboxes from SUMLauncher have the chance of running into this error.

bobtaco

Post by bobtaco » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:57 pm

the solution for your problem is sum launcher mod by anton look it up on sum launcher and download all of them.

bobtaco

Post by bobtaco » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:58 pm

download skyboxes by anton on sum launcher.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:59 pm

bobtaco wrote:the solution for your problem is sum launcher mod by anton look it up on sum launcher and download all of them.
We cannot stress this enough. Download. All of them. All of the SUMLauncher mods.