Dear Old Growth Members, please hear out my plea..

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
rodeje25

Re: Dear Old Growth Members, please hear out my plea..

Post by rodeje25 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:51 am

we were always nice to people who didn't know how to do something or who started a project and needed some help. Endo even thaught me a lot about nowaday's society.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:06 pm

rodeje25 wrote:we were always nice to people who didn't know how to do something or who started a project and needed some help. Endo even thaught me a lot about nowaday's society.

Honestly I would rather you not speak of the community as "we". Unfortunately you do have a snarky tone with most of your replies (and I have noticed you have been improving lately). Though it still shows a lot. Let's just use this situation as an example. This was pulled from the OGMP thread, in which user vallejo18 was displaying his disinterest in learning github.
rodeje25 wrote:Oh and valejo (or whatever your name is)
Why was that even necessary? You have been using these forums for a while know, surely you are aware of how to read a users name. I am certain you also know how to quote people if need be to pull their name. It's shit like this which displays a lack of respect, even if the guy was making waves regarding github.

Though I do agree with the others in saying that he really should just use github, and the time spent arguing could have just been put forward learning. You have to understand that needless remarks like this don't shed any positive light on discussions, respect is a common courtesy.

vallejo18

Post by vallejo18 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:28 pm

Surak wrote:
vallejo18 wrote:Getting back on topic, Yeah even though I am like a whole month late (forgive me senpai) but I tried to do something that will make everything the way it used to be like try to make a Long Waited MP mod (Again CONGRATS Surak and Gyrth) I actually admire Gyrth for a long time and Markuss because they made the best maps and It inspired me to do a lot of things, unfortunately, I ended up doing it for other games because the community was more accepting and they even taught me some things. I come back here and I just feel uncomfortable. I want to help Surak and Gyrth with the MP mod, but I am feeling a bit discouraged by the community
We are happy to answer your questions that come up along the way. What we can not do is hold your hand and walk you through the complete process, because it is an ongoing process and we already have barely time to make the mod.

The only real requirement to work on the mod is to use Github, because our whole software development infrastructure is build around it. But instead of using this basic requirement you write like 1000 words why you don't want to use it ("inconvenient", "It's a matter of convenience not unwillingness to learn"). To me that is pretty rude. We try to be helpful, but if your first reaction is "i don't want to do that, it's inconvenient for me" what do you expect us to do?
In the midst of typing the 1000 words I was researching. It's not like I was not trying to find ways to do things. I am just unfamiliar with the way you guys did it. The last thing I want to do is be annoying or rude. Im a different type of learner, so holding my hand enough to get me up to speed may be what I need. I talked with Gyrth and hinted that you would like for me to look up Awesomium (which I see is a useful tool, but handles mostly the HTML objects like the chat etc.) but since you guys are using BOOST C++ libaries and request method is POST (not GET or OPTIONS), it kind of makes it confusing to follow (mainly because what I am learning in school is nothing like this). Right now I am Researching DCCP which is a Transfer Protocol that is like TCP but it uses Requests similar to POST. Perhaps that would allow better movement sync and hits to register properly. Gyrth told me to hit you guys up on irc so expect me there soon, after I find a free version on my andriod phone. Otherwise, I will use the free one on-site (but I work 8 hours)

vallejo18

Post by vallejo18 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:40 pm

Though I do agree with the others in saying that he really should just use github, and the time spent arguing could have just been put forward learning. You have to understand that needless remarks like this don't shed any positive light on discussions, respect is a common courtesy.
Yea, I see that GitHub is very popular and useful and etc. I said that I will use it and have used it before. But its just like if you work a full-time job and you hate it but love it at the same time, thats what I was doing with GitHub. Just because I write long posts does not mean that I am in no way interested, it's just that I am used to writing for long periods of time (Thanks to my damn English professor). I just hate myself for not knowing things fast enough.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:56 pm

Do you know how hard it is to format posts on a phone?
If i say that it's that i just don't want to go back and remember someone's name and rewrite everything again or make another tab and navigate trough everything again whilst tapping on everything except the thing i want to tap on? I don't mean to be rude and yes you could say just use a computer but i more on my phone than on my computer. That's just the way things are.

Edit: i just already added the f to if and accidentally tapped on delete posts instead of edit and then almost tapped on yes instead of no. Perhaps i should say (excuse me if i spelled your name wrong).
You can't expect from someone to do everything the way he should do it at once.

vallejo18

Post by vallejo18 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:35 pm

rodeje25 wrote:Do you know how hard it is to format posts on a phone?
If i say that it's that i just don't want to go back and remember someone's name and rewrite everything again or make another tab and navigate trough everything again whilst tapping on everything except the thing i want to tap on? I don't mean to be rude and yes you could say just use a computer but i more on my phone than on my computer. That's just the way things are.

Edit: i just already added the f to if and accidentally tapped on delete posts instead of edit and then almost tapped on yes instead of no. Perhaps i should say (excuse me if i spelled your name wrong).
You can't expect from someone to do everything the way he should do it at once.

I think I love you rodeje25, you have the right charm to make a boy like me quiver in my loins. Im not gay (not that there is anything wrong with that) but I am in love with you. MARRY ME RODJE25! OR ELSE! lol

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:21 pm

How dare you… I thought we had something going for the two of us. And yet you… you just say it so openly on this very turf!?
i'm sorry please i love you bby come back to me ;((((

vallejo18

Post by vallejo18 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:59 am

Timbles wrote:How dare you… I thought we had something going for the two of us. And yet you… you just say it so openly on this very turf!?
i'm sorry please i love you bby come back to me ;((((

Oh! Uh Hey honey.....er uh, its not what it looks like.....thats just my cousin...Rodej25 dont mean anything to me......NO! DONT LEAVE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umEx9j258rw

TIMBLES!!!! NO!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNZF1PSeiY0

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:06 am

Eh vallejo you're a very nice guy but i have a girlfriend... Just... Stay with timbles... You two are made for eachother.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:50 am

vallejo18 wrote:I actually want to close all the threads I made because I feel like a failure. I never actually completed any of my projects on here. All that I see is a bunch of random maps, strange questions, repeated ideas, and insults. Maybe I am still holding on to the old ways on OG back when OG was updated every week, hearing Aubrey's art asset overviews. Admiring David because he would crank out an new engine and a.i tricks weekly. Things just changed and I am not sure if it is even for the better, I used to play this game religiously it wasn't until a friend of mine told me about OG he bought a while back that I started to come back, and now as seeing how you are shamed not knowing how to do something makes it hard for me to love this any more. What do you all think? I may have just poured my heart out in this post.

I don't like how the forums feels, either, but it's been years. Change is the only constant, and this is like the third long-time community I find myself drifting out of. It gets easier, but not easy. You haven't lost what you felt, in the past, those memories and experiences are still part of you. Still, you have changed, and Overgrowth, and the community, so your feelings now don't match your memories. It's a loss, yes, but a loss of a potential future that didn't come true, not of the original feelings. (Pretty scifi, huh?)

You shouldn't remove your projects! They're reminders of what you used to do, to plan. I rarely finish my stuff, and while I dislike it, denying it won't help matters. It helps me in one thing - it reminds me that, even if I don't always feel like it, I have improved a lot since those projects. I look back and see something I could improve on, now. And I also see I shouldn't be responsible for scheduling my work without supervision. That reminds me, I have a thesis I should've finished a while ago, which I have to finish in... oh, my, would you look at that!

underthedeep wrote:Honestly I would rather you not speak of the community as "we".
Ouch. Even the people I don't like, like Renegade Turner and Phoenixwarrior, are a part of this community. You can count me out of your community too. I'll be part of the whatever thing Rodeje belongs to, the group of people who hang around in this forum and talk about Overgrowth and random stuff.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:09 am

endo thank you for taking my back but it feels like the community is dividing itself now...

Dammasta
Location: Somewhere under the rainbow, face down in the dirt.

Post by Dammasta » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:20 pm

underthedeep wrote:
rodeje25 wrote:we were always nice to people who didn't know how to do something or who started a project and needed some help. Endo even thaught me a lot about nowaday's society.

Honestly I would rather you not speak of the community as "we". Unfortunately you do have a snarky tone with most of your replies (and I have noticed you have been improving lately). Though it still shows a lot. Let's just use this situation as an example. This was pulled from the OGMP thread, in which user vallejo18 was displaying his disinterest in learning github.
rodeje25 wrote:Oh and valejo (or whatever your name is)
Why was that even necessary? You have been using these forums for a while know, surely you are aware of how to read a users name. I am certain you also know how to quote people if need be to pull their name. It's shit like this which displays a lack of respect, even if the guy was making waves regarding github.

Woah, that was harsh. Yeah, maybe Rodeje25 is a little rude/annoying sometimes, but he's still a valuable member of this community. Underthedeep, I honestly respect you, but saying something like that was pretty harsh. I know I'm not the most helpful or intelligent person in this community, but I try. I'm sure Rodeje does too.

underthedeep

Post by underthedeep » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:48 pm

Like me hate me I don't care really. Just displaying how I could see why users whom aren't around these forums much can get deterred by small comments here and there.

Anyways I would rather not go as far as to say that the forum is "divided", that is a bit over dramatic. We are all individuals though, and go along things in different matters.

It's been kind of dramatic here recently though, and I was doing a decent job of not being involved until now. Maybe it's time to stop calling the wolfire boards home. :(

vallejo18

Post by vallejo18 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:58 pm

rodeje25 wrote:Eh vallejo you're a very nice guy but i have a girlfriend... Just... Stay with timbles... You two are made for eachother.
UGH! HOW DARE YOU MOVE ON! lol
I don't like how the forums feels, either, but it's been years. Change is the only constant, and this is like the third long-time community I find myself drifting out of. It gets easier, but not easy. You haven't lost what you felt, in the past, those memories and experiences are still part of you. Still, you have changed, and Overgrowth, and the community, so your feelings now don't match your memories. It's a loss, yes, but a loss of a potential future that didn't come true, not of the original feelings. (Pretty scifi, huh?)

You shouldn't remove your projects! They're reminders of what you used to do, to plan. I rarely finish my stuff, and while I dislike it, denying it won't help matters. It helps me in one thing - it reminds me that, even if I don't always feel like it, I have improved a lot since those projects. I look back and see something I could improve on, now. And I also see I shouldn't be responsible for scheduling my work without supervision. That reminds me, I have a thesis I should've finished a while ago, which I have to finish in... oh, my, would you look at that!
Yea, but I really don't want to be reminded of that. I mean yea they were good project ideas but I am the kind of person who would much rather scrap a failed project from existence than clutter space. (the OCD side of me). However, yes, the fourum has changed because there is not enough fun (chat-wise) going on here, just serious buisness of maps, ideas and etc. Not enough pure stupid fun like my undying love for Timbles and Rodje25 lol (Timbles don't get mad, I am a dog and you know you love it lol Rodje25 is just as heartbroken as I am but doesn't know how to handle our breakup very well lol). No, its not Sci-Fi it is the ninja way of dealing with change. You formed words just as the Mighty God "Whaleman" would say. (Oldies Remember Whaleman).

vallejo18

Post by vallejo18 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:01 pm

underthedeep wrote:Like me hate me I don't care really. Just displaying how I could see why users whom aren't around these forums much can get deterred by small comments here and there.

Anyways I would rather not go as far as to say that the forum is "divided", that is a bit over dramatic. We are all individuals though, and go along things in different matters.

It's been kind of dramatic here recently though, and I was doing a decent job of not being involved until now. Maybe it's time to stop calling the wolfire boards home. :(

Its ok, I knew what you meant and I know you mean no harm. I would marry you but.....your just not my type lol and besides I am married to Timbles atm.....lol (Role-Playing obviously).