Ideas to improve the gore mechanics (video)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
valentinbk

Ideas to improve the gore mechanics (video)

Post by valentinbk » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:43 am

Hey guys, I have recently done a suggestions video for the gore mechanics of Overgrowth. Those mechanics are pretty damn awesome as they are, but I always thought that some things could (and should IMO) be improved, so I decided to make this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJwtylBkb-U

Hopefully some of the feedback will be taken into account

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: Ideas to improve the gore mechanics (video)

Post by Constance » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:06 pm

That's actually some really good and proper feedback. Those suggestions would actually improve the game. (I don't exactly like the idea of broken bones though… it just has too much potential to be done horribly).

MetalMilitia623

Post by MetalMilitia623 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:30 pm

Timbles wrote:That's actually some really good and proper feedback. Those suggestions would actually improve the game. (I don't exactly like the idea of broken bones though… it just has too much potential to be done horribly).
The thing is with the way David does things I don't think it could be done horribly. He seems to be more likely to take his time and do things correctly which is better for the game.

I am pretty excited to see what is going to come of this game in the near future with the now much larger dev team. I feel a lot of the ideas in the video will make it into the game.

Also wasn't there something said about a mechanic regarding bone structures which could mean bones breaking is something they are already thinking about.

valentinbk

Post by valentinbk » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:15 pm

MetalMilitia623 wrote: Also wasn't there something said about a mechanic regarding bone structures which could mean bones breaking is something they are already thinking about.
Yep, you can hear a cracking sound sometimes. It's mostly for snapping necks (that works really well) but I'm pretty sure that I have heard it in other circumstances as well meaning that some kind of bone functionality is already there.

Dammasta
Location: Somewhere under the rainbow, face down in the dirt.

Post by Dammasta » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:36 pm

I fully agree with everything you said in that video. Also, they should change it, so that getting stabbed in the toe with a sword isn't an insta-kill.

Also, I think if a character has blood on and around his eyes, when inactive, there should be an animation where he wipes the blood away from his eyes. I think that would be a wonderful little detail.

Can anyone see my avatar? It stopped showing up for me for some reason

Surak

Post by Surak » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:06 am

David talked about your video in the last OGWeekly episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... jtw#t=2360

The talk about dismemberment afterwards is also highly relevant 8)

valentinbk

Post by valentinbk » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:13 pm

Dammasta wrote:I fully agree with everything you said in that video. Also, they should change it, so that getting stabbed in the toe with a sword isn't an insta-kill.

Can anyone see my avatar? It stopped showing up for me for some reason
+1 to that. I think that HP systems need to die a brutal gory death. It's kind of ridiculous that this is an aspect that has hardly been changed for all this time.

P.S. can see your avatar.
Surak wrote:David talked about your video in the last OGWeekly episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... jtw#t=2360

Awesome, glad to hear that David saw the video.

Also:
"If I ever get into the dismemberment tech it's going to be the most disgusting thing ever"

Please do :D

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:04 pm

Surak wrote:David talked about your video in the last OGWeekly episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... jtw#t=2360

Wait What... After years of noobs pining for it and the old guard harrumphing at the constant stream of threads... he's actually adding it in? :shock:

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:18 am

Peruraptor wrote:he's actually adding it in? :shock:
What gave you the impression that we're adding dismemberment?

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:04 am

Silverfish wrote:
If you read this here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37430
You cam see dismemberment at the bottom as a rumor.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:10 am

rodeje25 wrote:
Silverfish wrote:
If you read this here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=37430
You cam see dismemberment at the bottom as a rumor.
David said he'd sort of like to ad a very ambitious gore system, but he also said that in order for this to happen, he would basically need to take some time off and work on it by himself.

The way he talked about it made it seem to me like this was a sort of dream or vain hope, rather than an actual realistic plan for future development.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:34 am

EPR89 wrote:The way he talked about it made it seem to me like this was a sort of dream or vain hope, rather than an actual realistic plan for future development.
This is the way I see it as well. In the latest OGW we said that dismemberment is "in the stretch goals section". In other words it's something that is not planned to be part of the game, but is in the list of things that would be cool to add if we get more time.

That's why I wondered where the earlier poster got the impression that we were going to implement dismemberment.

MetalMilitia623

Post by MetalMilitia623 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:05 pm

Silverfish wrote:
EPR89 wrote: would be cool to add if we get more time.
Does this mean there are now deadlines set for when things will have to be completed? From my understanding of this games development is it will take how long it takes.

Dammasta
Location: Somewhere under the rainbow, face down in the dirt.

Post by Dammasta » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:24 pm

MetalMilitia623 wrote:
Silverfish wrote:
EPR89 wrote: would be cool to add if we get more time.
Does this mean there are now deadlines set for when things will have to be completed? From my understanding of this games development is it will take how long it takes.
I think they're more under the attitude of "We don't really want to do anything that will delay development further." I imagine adding a hyper-realistic gore system is pretty time-consuming.