Your Suggestions for the Game

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Methuselah

Your Suggestions for the Game

Post by Methuselah » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:29 am

Hey everybody!

I'm pretty new around here and I finally have people to talk to about this great game! I thought it might be fun to have a little suggestion thread discussing various tweaks or changes you feel might improve Overgrowth. (Hopefully this isn't against the rules of the forum. :?) I'll start!

I like the different feels of stealth for the rabbit, cat, and rat characters, as stated in the Alpha 208 video. Playing the rabbit, of course, feels great, like you are truly a hit-and-run type of character. The cat needs a bit more, though. I know the rabbit's jump was taken away from the cat and rat for balance, but I feel the cat needs to have its jump height in the middle of the rabbit's and rat's jump heights.

What would you like in the game?

RylanLego

Re: Your Suggestions for the Game

Post by RylanLego » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:45 am

Hmm.. I think what I would like is a jump height slider on the character parameter menu. Then we could make a character jump as high as we want! It was possible in Lugaru. Also in Lugaru you could change the size of any part of the body. Have giant arms and legs with a small head; it was hilarious! Anyways that's what I'd want. :)

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:53 pm

RylanLego wrote:Hmm.. I think what I would like is a jump height slider on the character parameter menu. Then we could make a character jump as high as we want! It was possible in Lugaru. Also in Lugaru you could change the size of any part of the body. Have giant arms and legs with a small head; it was hilarious! Anyways that's what I'd want. :)
you know what i want to try now? make a mod wich allows you to jump insanely high or atleast modify the parameter so you can set it insanely high

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Post by halzoid » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:06 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18818
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19082
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21555

Wow, these are old, but they answer the question :lol:

RylanLego

Post by RylanLego » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:07 pm

That's a LOT of ideas. This game just has so much potential! :D

badger1111

Post by badger1111 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:36 pm

Fleshed out arena system, rpg elements, enemies with names and stats not randoms, maybe an internal ladder/ranking, league that adds more races as you move up instead of just rabbits.

bennyp

Post by bennyp » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:58 pm

UI polish - menus, loading screens and Gamepad controls (esp. on mac)

Crea87

Post by Crea87 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:25 am

Been gone for a while, happy to see OG is still kicking ;)

Like OP said, Id like to see further development of the different species. Each one should have some pros/cons and its own fighting/play style to match the "feel" of the animal. Rabbit is clearly most dialed, other species need some love IMO. I have not read comic yet (just realized it exists) so I don't know if the other animals have some established traits but here is my two cents just based on common sense and a love for game design:

Mice/Squirrel/Small Rodents - Slightly smaller than Rats, these are the Hobbits of OG. Less Damage Resistance than the larger critters of course but still effective if played with skill.
Faster than larger species (dogs, wolves), Small size means they could fit into tunnels or small holes when crouched, improved stealth, less jump than Rabbits but increased wall run (Jetpack Fuel in the code) and wall jump; Mice in real life can climb vertical surfaces, faster weapon pickup/grab ledge pull up animations, similar to Rats in most regards but more agile and differentiated for flavor.

Rats- Looking good but could feel more rat-like in combat styles, maybe some sort of increased climbing ability.. Of course Rabbits should always be the most mobile but Id like to see some of the other species still be able to access most of the areas Rabbits can, if not a good deal slower.

Birds, Avians- Again I don't know if this is story canon but some bird type playable characters would be a great addition. Le Petite Docteur's Tengu Mod is a great example, even includes unique combat animations! But Id like to see some further differentiation in the stats. Birds have light weight body frames so they should be more susceptible to damage than say a dog. Fast and light, less jump than Rabbit but improved wall run, full on flight is OP but increased air control could yield a great glide effect, some air based attacks/tackles/stealth kills. Combat with an Avian would require precise control as they cannot take a beating but the trade off is increased mobility.

Kitsune, Fox- I think these deserve their own "race" in OG. Similar to the cat but even more nimble, Fox has less jump but increased wall run and extremely fast ledge grab/pullup to compete in Ninja style with Rabbit. Less damage resistance but fast attack/block/counter. Maybe a unique capacity for counter attacks to demonstrate their innate wisdom. Stealthy, fast and lightweight, the Fox player must remain clever and stay out of harms way. Great capacity for story development IMO. Don't forget their tales are as long as their entire body!

Cats- Felines need some love. Playing as a Cat should feel fast and agile, but in a totally different way than playing a Rabbit. Cats are precise jumpers, should have slightly lower jump than rabbit but fast ledge grab/pull up. Less damage than a dog but faster attack/dodge/movement speed. Stealth bonus and a unique pounce attack would make playing a cat appealing for more than just cuddles.. watch out for the claws!

Dogs- Dogs feel pretty good but Id like the archetypes to be dialed in. Tougher than the smaller species, hit harder but a little slower, not much jump or climbing, more of a brute. A unique tackle or trip attack would make sense. It seems like Dogs in this universe prefer armor and heavy weapons/organized militaristic society.

Wolves- Already pretty big and scary! Combat style could be further developed. Fast and powerful, can take more damage than other species. Can wolves in Lugaru use items? I like that they are clothing-less and portrayed "wild" and vicious. Playing one should feel that way.

Big Cats- More mobile than the wolf and with different combat style. Still big and scary. Less damage resist than Wolf but more than smaller species.

Bear- Ive seen some concept art and heard some murmuring about Bear characters in OG, sounds like a great idea! Obviously, playing a Bear should feel like a tank compared to the speedy ninjas of the small races. Slow but super powerful attacks, can swipe multiple enemies. Propensity for armor/large weapons like a barbarian type race? All emphasis on speed and mobility traded for defense, and powerful attacks. Strong grab/grapple move. Maybe Bears can counter attack and then pick up the enemy and toss them into a wall or other enemies.

Other animals - Id like to see other critters but mainly as NPC type characters to improve the mood of the story mode or custom maps.

That and UI improvements, general bug fixing, better Mod tools, better map editing tools, improved library of characters fully equipped with preset AI and gear, unique and interesting items with their own subtle qualities for example a Fox Staff does not need to be dropped while climbing, Rat items infect and reduce health regen. Nothing game breaking just subtle differences in the way different species craft items. More stealth elements such as tall grass patches, more effective shadow concealing, audio cues, up/downwind element? etc.

Gotta be careful with RPG elements.. I like that if my Rabbit kicks a dogs head into a wall hard enough that dog is dead- no matter what "level" he may be. Some minor passive "perks" to develop play style sounds good but I don't want my Rabbit starting with zero block skill forcing me to level it up to be effective.

Better AI- Bots don't appear to utilize full range of mobility options.. haven't seen one juke me with a backflip or wall run to a ledge. Fleshed out species would offer the possibility for varied enemy types and require different skills/strategies to overcome.

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:18 am

Cool ideas, dude. Pretty sure the races are going to be Rabbit, Wolf, Cat and Dog only, but the way you wrote the others definitely sounds like they'd fit in.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:01 am

Rats are already in the game.

Crea87

Post by Crea87 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:00 am

Yeah I know Rats are in. Just giving my perspective on what some kind of species play style balance might feel like. My thought is essentially to make each different type of animal as interesting to play as the Rabbit currently is, but in a different way. Because obviously the Rabbit has the best jump and kick, but I see no reason why other species shouldn't excel in other ways and be fun to play.

Official Story/Campaign mode might do a great deal towards establishing the sort of play style distinctions Im thinking of, but that doesn't exist yet so Im speculating. I am in the process of reading the comics. So far, the story and universe exudes more depth than current alpha gameplay.

To me the appeal of this game boils down to the unique dynamic movement and combat system.. everything else flows off of that. Thats why the Rabbit is so much fun, its built around that experience. So I think the interesting design challenge is finding diversity within that model.