Overgrowth marketing

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
atomtengeralattjaro

Overgrowth marketing

Post by atomtengeralattjaro » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:11 am

I realize that marketing the game is probably at a very low priority right now, so take this more as "public relations" then.

I don't usually read youtube comments, but this one I found on the latest alpha video is worth considering:
Prelmable wrote:Please, please tell me what this game is supposed to be when it's finished. Because I don't understand it. It looks interesting, but bare-bones and I won't spend money on things I simply don't understand. I see what's there, but I have no clue what's planned for the end result. And the FAQ is a pile of.. well, it's vague and terrible (they mention IMPULSE as a distribution platform, which was sold and renamed in 2011 and closed in early 2014!!). How can they ask for pre-order money when they don't tell their potential customers what to expect? A linear brawler? With a story/narrative or without one? One world or different maps? Focus on multiplayer or singleplayer? I know nothing and all they do here is announcing normal-maps as a 'feature' like it's 1999 again. What is this game? What is their plan? SELL IT TO ME! Because with each update video I'm more and more confused if there's any big picture. Pre-ordering is a delicate topic, but if I'd pre-order ..say Call of Duty 19, at least I vaguely know what I will get for my money. And on a much related note: your 'marketing' is abysmal.. "look, we made minor stuff, why not give us money". Please tell me why I should.
I think telling people about the basics of the game is the bare minimum of "marketing".

Now this person mentions their opinion on the FAQ, which means they actually went to the website and read the FAQ, which is more than you could ask from someone who just came across the game on youtube or somewhere.
And while I don't think the FAQ itself is so terrible (it is kinda vague though), I wonder if anything could be done for the potential customer who doesn't quite grasp what they're buying into.

Thomason1005

Re: Overgrowth marketing

Post by Thomason1005 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:17 pm

true.

i think a lot of peole just expect the game to be a lugaru2

i myself dont expect it to become much more. im kindof fine with a half finished game that has a nice Editor and mods

Sehiro

Re: Overgrowth marketing

Post by Sehiro » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:24 pm

I'd like to point out customers might not even know lugaru (it is an old game after all).
So yes, whoever does know Lugaru and Wolfire has at least an idea of what to expect, but everybody else...

Also the arena feature is new, it didn't appear in Lugaru, and has gone several major changes lately.

Clearing the fog and talking clear about what to expect might not only help new customer decide to by this product, but reassure old customers and reduce the refund trend, if it exists (which I'm only supposing).
Plus it might help the devs as well. I don't want to go as far as saying they might not know what to do with some features, but it is a possibility involving any team. If there is the need, brainstorming and delineating a set plan can greatly help everybody.

Imho Atomtengeralattjaro has a good point, for even more reasons than he originally thought about.