a226 testing (updated)

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Silverfish

a226 testing (updated)

Post by Silverfish » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:17 pm

Due to several complications this alpha has been very delayed. Now we are very close to releasing it, and would really appreciate your help to do some final testing to make sure it works for as many people as possible before we release it to the general public.

We especially want to test changes to the cache system which are only active on this "release version" of the game. These cache changes are not there on the internal_testing or advance_testing branches, and probably never will be, which is why we want to do some specific testing here.

To access this release version you'll need to follow this procedure:
  1. Right click Overgrowth in Steam and press Properties
  2. Go to the BETAS tab
  3. Enter the code finaltesting into the beta access code field and do not press enter, instead press check code
  4. Now the drop down menu should contain a branch called "official_alpha", select this one from the drop down list, close the window and wait for it to finish updating
To help us test the changes to the cache system, clear your cache and then start the game and load a few levels. Pay attention to if the game is generating the terrain or nav mesh or anything like that. The point of the cache changes is that the game should not generate any cache files on level load since they are now included with the game, so let us know if anything seems off!

To clear your cache, go to your cache folder and remove everything except for your config file (unless you want to reset your game settings).

On Windows your cache folder is located in:
C:\Users\YourUsername\Documents\Wolfire\Overgrowth\Data
On Mac it's located in
Macintosh HD/Users/YourUsername/Library/Application Support/Overgrowth/Data/
And on Linux it's located in
~/.local/share/Overgrowth/Data/

Thank you so much for your help and continued support, I hope you'll like the new alpha!
[+] original post
We're soon ready to release a226, but we'd like some more testing before we release it officially, so it would be great to get some help from anyone in here who's interested! We are looking for both bug reports and feedback on how we can make things better.

To help out you need to switch to the advance_testing branch on Steam. To do this, right click the game in Steam, click "preferences", go to the "betas" tab and select "advance_testing" from the drop down menu. Close the window, let the game update and start testing!

Here are some of the biggest changes we've made.
  • There is now a tutorial accessible from the main menu.
  • Arena levels updated, you now die from lava, and it should not be possible to get out of the levels anymore.
  • If you're playing a level that you didn't start from the editor menu, you now can't use debug keys or enter the editor, you can now pause the game too.
  • In the graphics settings menu, you can now select from a few presets at the top.
  • You can now turn on and off the light probes in the graphics settings.
  • The credits button works now (let us know if you see someone missing or in the wrong places!)
  • The arena mode we started making that had a story is removed.
Send bug reports to [email protected] . Also feel free to post about the bug in this topic so people can see right away that a bug exists.

Thanks for helping out! :D

xweert123

Re: a226 testing

Post by xweert123 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:15 pm

It's evident that whatever optimization you guys put into a227 [Internal_Testing] is in a226, because it's now quite playable on my machine. Now, though, there's a problem with blood droplets. More specifically, when blood drips from someone after gaining severe blunt damage. Every single time there's blood dripping the FPS starts dropping unpredictably until the blood stops and the decals are on the ground. This blood drip FPS drop only seems to occur if there's 4 actors (including the player) active at once, but in terms of character optimization, i'm able to get up to at least 8 until the FPS starts to drop due to the amount of actors. So that's an EXTREME improvement. FPS also isn't unpredictable and spastic. I'm able to get consistent FPS. This is definitely a good update. The only problem is that i'm not accurately able to perform accurate stress tests due to the fact that blood dropping severely decreases FPS when it's happening, although slowing down does fix the FPS drop.

I'm also pretty bummed that there's no prompt that shows the amount of fans you have, the percentage your audience was entertained, as well as your skill ratio or whatever that was. That was really cool, I really liked seeing that prior to a fight. It broke up the pace and it was interesting. This feels like a more stable version of [Internal_Testing], which is good. I also don't know if this bug still occurs, but one thing I discovered that caused a permanent freeze was when the Arena round switched to a different fight while dragging a body whilst also holding a weapon. It may also occur by just dragging a body during the fight change. The tutorial's cool, but it's a shame it isn't like, a linear map that goes through, like a dojo with an obstacle course or something. I dunno.

Either way, great work so far. Optimization appears to be massively improved and i'm able to work on my project again. Good job you guys!

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:22 am

Yes this is a build taken from internal_testing. I thought I had left the arena ui in there, I might have to see if I can restore that.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:43 pm

-the tutorial is really cool
-but when you should Counter the attack, the enemy sometimes is completely aggressive, so i was beat down before i was able to stand up or he didnt attack at all
-there is no mention that you can evade attacks by pressing a or d in the Moment of the attack (allows almost instant Counter hit)
-the Cursor was a black box after completing the tutorial

-i think tetrahedal lighting should be enabled by Default, it makes the game look so much better
-no tet lighting on versus map
-sword reflections look so much crispier and sharper than before, thumbs up
-the menu Music is awesome
-lugaru Levels return unable to find Level

Overall i think its quite a big step Forward. ist no more just a sandbox, it becomes a game
Attachments
still got this bad triangle on his hand
still got this bad triangle on his hand

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:55 pm

HOW THE FUCK DID YOU NOT MENTION THE FREAKIN AWESOME WATER
HOW THE FUCK DID YOU NOT MENTION THE FREAKIN AWESOME WATER
Attachments
green light error?
green light error?
lighting inconsistent / tet mesh hole
lighting inconsistent / tet mesh hole

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:58 pm

can we haz dis map now
Thomason1005 wrote:
Timbles wrote:
Thomason1005 wrote:also i want to rotate the map, it was in one one of the art asset Videos
Right now it's a still image; I imagine that at some point, it'll be 3D.
i really liked this

Overall, the Hand painted stuff aubrey did was awesome

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:26 pm

Something not mentioned in the above changelogs is that the Arena mode now skips the skill assessment & fans screen every round. Not sure if this is temporary.

xweert123

Post by xweert123 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:31 pm

Timbles wrote:Something not mentioned in the above changelogs is that the Arena mode now skips the skill assessment & fans screen every round. Not sure if this is temporary.
Yeah, I mentioned this in my first comment already. Hopefully they do add it back in, evidently that was a mistake that wasn't intended.

RylanLego

Post by RylanLego » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:20 am

This is a pretty sweet update! My only problem is that the game is really starting to lag on my laptop as the graphics improve. It used to run fast, but now simple levels like Red Shards are almost 10 fps! I wish there was a way to play the game like it used to run. Smoothly.. can't get a new pc or anything. :(
And I don't want to blame the creators for making it run slow
(the improvements made the game beautiful now)
Just wanted to say this. Great great update :)

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:00 pm

so theres a new internal Version, any notes on what that is?

i noticed the enemies leg cannon now in Arena mode,
sometimes first Thing in a water cave Arena fight is that they jump to you and cannon u in the ground

xweert123

Post by xweert123 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:06 am

Thomason1005 wrote:so theres a new internal Version, any notes on what that is?

sometimes first Thing in a water cave Arena fight is that they jump to you and cannon u in the ground
They've been able to leg-cannon for a long time, now. Even in the a226 beta. Do they like, actively jump at the player now or something?

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:24 am

xweert123 wrote:
Thomason1005 wrote:so theres a new internal Version, any notes on what that is?

They've been able to leg-cannon for a long time, now. Even in the a226 beta. Do they like, actively jump at the player now or something?
well.... they be doing this

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Post by halzoid » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:42 pm

they only jump on the jump nodes, As long as you stay out of direct contact of jump nodes, you shouldn't be leg cannoned. However, Waterfall arena does have a lot of them.

Also, every time I start the game, I can hear a very short part of music. is the main menu going to have a track playing in the background now?

(I goddamn love the new water too. I'm guessing that's what the CTRL+Click reflection sphere was for in A225)

akazi

Post by akazi » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:46 pm

The getting leg cannoned by ai has always been a thing really. they just try attacking you while in mid air, and since the only move that's in the air is leg cannon that's what happens. It's pretty much a by chance thing.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:52 pm

halzoid wrote:Also, every time I start the game, I can hear a very short part of music. is the main menu going to have a track playing in the background now?
i actually got menu Music
its pretty awesome