A.I. Performance Questions

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
xweert123

A.I. Performance Questions

Post by xweert123 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:01 pm

(Straight from the E-Mail:)

I've been doing some benchmarks in terms of performance and you guys have done great, i've checked a lot of variables like if teams seem to effect performance, if the player gets involved in the fight, etc., this isn't a crash but it's more of a benchmark assist. I'll post something about it on the forum as well.

My issue with Overgrowth has been the FPS drops with enemies. Whatever you guys did worked, because now I can have about an infinite amount of NPC's on the map at once who are idle, and it won't effect my FPS even slightly. The problem is when they start fighting.

The highest number i've been able to get whilst being involved in a fight is with 5-6 enemies, (It varies). When the player is involved, FPS drops a ton. Pressing tab does, however, help with these FPS issues. When the player ISN'T involved, i've been able to have 12 NPC's fighting at once until the FPS was a bit too low for enjoyability. There was also 4 teams. And tab fixed that as well. Do you feel like this is plenty enough? Do you ever plan on increasing this number? My branch is the [Internal_Testing] branch and my specs are:

Graphics Card: GTX 960 with 4GB of Vram
RAM: 24 Gigabytes
Processor: 3.8 GHz intel processor

I feel like these are what matter the most, since i'm pretty sure the power supply and motherboard aren't going to effect performance :P lol

Commander Keen

Re: A.I. Performance Questions

Post by Commander Keen » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:53 am

I can attest to this. I have a low-end computer (X4 860K 3.7GHz quad-core CPU, R7 360 2GB GPU, 8GB RAM) but the issues are very much similar for me. I haven't had a single crash so far in the few weeks since I've began playing again, which is a great improvement since I last played in 2013, but performance in fights is rather poor even at lowest graphics settings. I get 40 to 100 FPS when no enemies are around, depending on the map, which is all right for me since I'm used to 30FPS. It still works decently as long as only one to two AI characters are fighting at once, but past that it starts getting bad. In the Waterfall Arena, the "Watch your back!" battle where four enemies chase you with swords is nearly unplayable until I manage to kill or lose an enemy or two.

Also, for some reason the tutorial is by far the laggiest part of the game. I never got more than 15FPS there, and at times it dropped to 5FPS. When I first launched it I was afraid the whole game would run like that, but for some reason it's only the tutorial... not even the laggiest battles in Waterfall Arena are that bad.