Rigs, and textures.

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
Killerkitty

Rigs, and textures.

Post by Killerkitty » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:33 pm

I was looking for one of the overgrowth cat textures, and only found a white one for the male cat. When I play the game, I remember seeing several different textures and clothes on the cat. Would you mind telling me where I can find the other textures? *i guess this goes for all the other species too*

Also, when I opened up the malecat.blend file, I noticed that 2 of 4 of the fingers had bones, I don't think that the jaw was rigged, and there were no eyes. So I went back, and played the game a little bit, and noticed that the jaw does open, all the fingers are rigged, and the eyes move/blink. Is there a completed rig I can find? *also species*

-thank you

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Re: Rigs, and textures.

Post by Constance » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:04 pm

I'm pretty sure you can find the textures for each Cat at Data\Textures\Characters\cats\. Every .phxbn file (for skeletons) is located in Data\Skeletons\.

That Blend file you opened might be of the really old, outdated and awful cat model/skeleton.
You can open the 'modern', up-to-date rig at male_cat.blend.

You know what's crazy?
I just found out the Female Cat uses the exact same model and skeleton as the Male Cat.

Killerkitty

Post by Killerkitty » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:28 pm

When I go to the textures folder, I see only 3 files for textures. One is the white male cat...and that's pretty much it. There are only 3 .dds files in the texture folder for cats. One is the white texture, another is a bunch of random colors, and the other *i forgot sorry* this goes for all the other species too.

Can I open a .pxhbn file in blender?

Also, the male_cat.blend file is the one I was talking about. With half the fingers rigged with no way to open the mouth ect...

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:35 pm

You may be looking in the wrong folder. It sounds like you're checking the cache, which is located in Documents/Wolfire/Overgrowth.

The installation folder for Overgrowth is located (by default) in Program Files (or) Program Files (x86), then Wolfire. On Steam, it's Steam/steamapps/common/Overgrowth.

In order to open .phxbn files, you can look within Data/Blenderscripts to install addons to Blender and import & export the files that Overgrowth uses. The recommended Blender version is 2.55.

Killerkitty

Post by Killerkitty » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:51 am

I'm looking in the steam, steam apps..ect folders for the textures, and I still only find the three .dds files. This also applies to the female cat textures too. does everyone have more than 3 texture files for each folder? Or is it just me?

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:50 am

this is my folder
Attachments
Unbenannt.kpjPG.JPG

Killerkitty

Post by Killerkitty » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:08 am

Same here, what are inside those folders...like how many texture files are in the male_cat folder?

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:09 pm

ahh so i get what youre asking

the way overgrowth characters work (except turner) is that they have a diffuse texture with white cloth & fur (male_cat_c) and a normal map (male_cat_n)

lastly, a 'PaletteMap' (male_cat_m) is used to recolor / tint the color map on runtime. basically it defines different color areas like clothing, fur, etc in the rgb channels.

you can change these colors in the editor by selecting a character & pressing ctrl+P.

it is explained in this alpha video : http://blog.wolfire.com/2011/12/Overgro ... -changelog

this method to allows many color combinations & characters with very low effort. (no texture editing needed), very useful to have random colors in the arena levels

if you are new to modifying characters, you will want to try out the 'u' button too. it lets you define the amount of fat, muscle, etc on the character in-game: http://blog.wolfire.com/2013/11/Overgro ... -changelog

if you press the number keys (1-8) multiple times, the game will load the same character again with a new random color combination, which shows this effect quite nicely.

Note: this is all only aviable if you load the level from 'editor' in the main menu

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:22 pm

about the rig, i dont know : |

Killerkitty

Post by Killerkitty » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:49 pm

Hmm... That makes sense.
So how do you get these different textures into blender? If you press the same number over and over again, you're going to see the same texture again...Or do you load up the white texture, and then the pallet one?
What I'm trying to do is get all of those textures into blender, and have individual files for each one.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:08 am

ehm i dont know. depends on what you want to do

if you want to render colored rabbits in blender, you will have to replicate what the game material does. (propably a simple node material)
if you want to have them as a base to build other textures, it might be fastest to do this in photoshop / gimp

if you want to modify the textures, youll have to edit the color (_c) texture & maybe the palette map if the areas change

ive made a pic to better explain how the game uses the textures
Attachments
Unbenannt-1.jpg

Killerkitty

Post by Killerkitty » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:29 am

Is that the node setup I should use?
What I'm trying to do is somehow use the pallete in blender like it's used in the game. Is there a way to do this?

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:31 am

yes

the file is too big to upload, so youll have to replicate it:
Unbenannt.JPG
some things to note:
-areas that are on no color map stay white
-i dont know how to correctly add the normal map, some channels are inverted, couldnt make it work though

Killerkitty

Post by Killerkitty » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:02 pm

Mind telling me which textures are in which nodes. I can't see the whole file name.
*ive noticed that you are using materials and not textures, I've been using textures. Do I have to use materials?*

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:40 am

ah the one on the left is the palette map (male_cat_m), the one on the bottom is the color map (male_cat_c)

it shouldnt make a difference if you put the nodes in a texture and then use the texture in your material. im mostly using material nodes. i think there are differences in what nodes are aviable though. and the material viewport might display it differently. havent tried it though