armor question

A secret forum for people who preorder Overgrowth!
samjb1992

armor question

Post by samjb1992 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:06 pm

So i was just wondering if armor is going to have any function other than look?

merlyn

Re: armor question

Post by merlyn » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:17 pm

In the Lugaru campaign, the enemies have been modified to take significantly less damage at times when the armor visuals are in place. The game also changes the sound and visual feedback when attacking an enemy that is wearing armor (I think only when the armor is hit).

Is this what you meant, or something else?

samjb1992

Post by samjb1992 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:19 pm

merlyn wrote:In the Lugaru campaign, the enemies have been modified to take significantly less damage at times when the armor visuals are in place. The game also changes the sound and visual feedback when attacking an enemy that is wearing armor (I think only when the armor is hit).

Is this what you meant, or something else?
this is what i meant but is this available out side the lugaru campaign? like can a modder use this ability on a enemy on a custom map and if so how?

gamerforevuur

Post by gamerforevuur » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:29 am

Not so sure about the armour effects, but you can change any character's damage resistance (how much damage the character gets from being hit) by highlighting their box in the editor and pressing U to open up the parameter editor. There's a parameter named "Damage Resistance"; increasing it makes the character take more hits (not much for weapons), while decreasing it makes them get KO'd/killed more quickly.

samjb1992

Post by samjb1992 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:42 pm

gamerforevuur wrote:Not so sure about the armour effects, but you can change any character's damage resistance (how much damage the character gets from being hit) by highlighting their box in the editor and pressing U to open up the parameter editor. There's a parameter named "Damage Resistance"; increasing it makes the character take more hits (not much for weapons), while decreasing it makes them get KO'd/killed more quickly.
yes but if you knock the armor off the risistance doesn't change so that does not work like the armor

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:48 pm

I believe we just tweaked damage resistance, knockout shield, etc, manually in the Lugaru maps, and all those are available to modders.

If you open one of the Lugaru maps in the editor (if you're using internal_testing, the simplest way is to go to the level, and press F1), then you can see the parameters that were changed on each enemy, for reference.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:13 pm

To get the visual, auditory and I think some gameplay effects (I do believe knives don't stick nearly as easily for instance) of having metal armor when someone attacks a chraracter, add a parameter called "Armor" with a value of "metal" and you should be done.

Other than that I think you need to manually adjust some parameters to make the character more resistant in general to have the full gameplay effect of having armor.

Peruraptor

Post by Peruraptor » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:36 pm

Will Armor eventually be an actual entity that changes the damage parameters on its own by being equipped?

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:02 am

Peruraptor wrote:Will Armor eventually be an actual entity that changes the damage parameters on its own by being equipped?
I'm definitely not trying to trash whatever idea you're coming up with. What is the change you're looking for that would be different than simply adding the armor to the spawned character via the editor, and configuring the values yourself (on spawn)? Would it just be simpler to use, or is there some gameplay affect you're thinking of that making it work this way would enable that we're just not thinking about right now?

t3hspades

Post by t3hspades » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:11 am

merlyn wrote:
Peruraptor wrote:Will Armor eventually be an actual entity that changes the damage parameters on its own by being equipped?
I'm definitely not trying to trash whatever idea you're coming up with. What is the change you're looking for that would be different than simply adding the armor to the spawned character via the editor, and configuring the values yourself (on spawn)? Would it just be simpler to use, or is there some gameplay affect you're thinking of that making it work this way would enable that we're just not thinking about right now?
I think he just would like to say for example build a map that has an armor somewhere and you could just walk up to it, interact with it and equip it, and have your characters stats adjusted accordingly automatically

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:55 am

t3hspades wrote:
merlyn wrote:
I think he just would like to say for example build a map that has an armor somewhere and you could just walk up to it, interact with it and equip it, and have your characters stats adjusted accordingly automatically
or take the armor of a defeated enemy just like you would with a weapon

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:53 pm

Thomason1005 wrote:
t3hspades wrote: I think he just would like to say for example build a map that has an armor somewhere and you could just walk up to it, interact with it and equip it, and have your characters stats adjusted accordingly automatically
Those are all interesting ideas.

What was your idea of why you would want this to work, samjb1992?

samjb1992

Post by samjb1992 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:06 pm

merlyn wrote:
Thomason1005 wrote:
t3hspades wrote: I think he just would like to say for example build a map that has an armor somewhere and you could just walk up to it, interact with it and equip it, and have your characters stats adjusted accordingly automatically
Those are all interesting ideas.

What was your idea of why you would want this to work, samjb1992?
i wanted to be able to make a boss fight but wanted his damage resistance to decrease if a piece of armor was knocked off in fight

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:03 am

samjb1992 wrote:i wanted to be able to make a boss fight but wanted his damage resistance to decrease if a piece of armor was knocked off in fight
Oh, that's a cool idea :) I think that might be even more complicated than what I first thought you were describing. I was thinking it would apply to a whole armor set being equipped or unequipped.

I think the fastest way to get something like this done would be to do script modding. I don't think we have something exactly like this planned (yet).

We do have some dialog/spawn behavior in the works that might make something very much like this work. It will let you spawn in additional enemies after you've completed a sub-goal in the level, such as defeating an enemy or group of enemies.

If you were to try to use that, you could have each version of the enemy be a "new" enemy, with altered stats, and less pieces of armor on them. You could put some dialog in between each time you knocked the armor off. It would get a lot of the effect that it sounds like you're trying to go for.

samjb1992

Post by samjb1992 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:42 pm

is there any way to add a script to an item or object that can be attached to a character?